Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This was my experience too! In middle school, everyone thought William was gorgeous and Harry was dorky. Now William has no hair and looks like his dad, and Harry is
    Earlier today we were joking that we should chart their relative hotness and wondered in exactly what year did the lines cross?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    It was fugly then and it's fugly now. Never, ever in style.
    I was married the following year, and it absolutely was in style. You may not like it, and I may not have chosen it, but that doesn't mean it was not in style.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Just watching the UK TV channel ITV's news and they have a report on how "the Americans are over here and going overboard."
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Interesting look at wedding dress patterns from 1940s through the 80s.

The huge sleeves were quite fashionable for the 80s. Sadly, I was made to wear a dress with sleeves like the second to last patterns poofed short ones as a bridesmaid in 1993.
    You may want to again, those leg-o-mutton sleeves are back! I just pray the huge shoulder pads don't come back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Earlier today we were joking that we should chart their relative hotness and wondered in exactly what year did the lines cross?
    Well, William's hair started to go around 2002-03 ... there's a video timeline of how his appearance has changed from age 17 until 28. I actually rather liked his bearded look (2008 photo).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I don't give a damn about it. I keep forgetting when it is, only to be reminded by all the commercials.
    The only good thing about all the commercials is they give me a rest from the never-ending ones that remind that I didn't do enough financial planning for retirement.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You may want to again, those leg-o-mutton sleeves are back! I just pray the huge shoulder pads don't come back.
    I've seen shoulder pads coming back but not the sleeves, especially not in wedding dresses that are mostly strapless these days.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Just watching the UK TV channel ITV's news and they have a report on how "the Americans are over here and going overboard."
    What are they doing in terms of going overboard?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I was married the following year, and it absolutely was in style. You may not like it, and I may not have chosen it, but that doesn't mean it was not in style.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've seen shoulder pads coming back but not the sleeves, especially not in wedding dresses that are mostly strapless these days.

Maybe I used the wrong words - to me being in style and being faddish are two different things. The dress was hideous and faddish.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Maybe I used the wrong words - to me being in style and being faddish are two different things. The dress was hideous and faddish.
    I never cared for Diana's wedding dress, but to me it just seemed out-sized -- as if it were super-sized to match the vast scale of St. Paul's Cathedral -- and that would be visible from a great distance. Any closer than a block away, it was much, much too much -- especially those enormous sleeves.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hideous, definitely. As to fads, can't say--was a child on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain at the time. I am not even sure it got more than a brief mention if that much by the Soviet media.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I never cared for Diana's wedding dress, but to me it just seemed out-sized -- as if it were super-sized to match the vast scale of St. Paul's Cathedral -- and that would be visible from a great distance. Any closer than a block away, it was much, much too much -- especially those enormous sleeves.
    Even though I was about 7 years old at the time of Charles and Diana's wedding, I distinctly remember gasping when she got out of the carriage at St Paul's and screaming 'Mummy they forgot to iron her dress. She looks AWFUL!!!!' But then I remember the overhead shot of her walking down the aisle and her train looking like a meteor and all was forgiven. ( I was 7 lol). When the wedding was over I went upstairs and grabbed a bed sheet so I could have a train of my own and wore it for the rest of the day.

And people still think being gay is a lifestyle choice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Interesting look at wedding dress patterns from 1940s through the 80s.

The huge sleeves were quite fashionable for the 80s. Sadly, I was made to wear a dress with sleeves like the second to last patterns poofed short ones as a bridesmaid in 1993.

http://sewretro.blogspot.com/2011/04...ctive-40s.html
    I enjoyed looking at those! My oldest sister's wedding dress is the fifth one down; she married in 1958. My mother made it, and it was so beautiful. I forget how many yards of fabric were in that bottom tier, but it was many. The seventh one is my other sister's, also made by our mother in 1964. She wanted pillbox style hats for herself and the bridesmaids, so Mama made them as well, with oatmeal boxes cut down to make the forms. They looked professionally made. Sadly, by the time I married in 1970, Mama had quit sewing.

Something interesting I noticed about some of the patterns is that they were size 14, 32 inch bust and 35 inch hips. That's a good indication of how sizes have changed over the years for the sake of women's vanity. I don't know many small women with 35 inch hips, but they're sure not buying 14's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Something interesting I noticed about some of the patterns is that they were size 14, 32 inch bust and 35 inch hips. That's a good indication of how sizes have changed over the years for the sake of women's vanity. I don't know many small women with 35 inch hips, but they're sure not buying 14's.
    Pattern sizing is still like that. I just checked a whole bunch of patterns and 35 inch hips were all size 12.

Did patterns used to match ready to wear size.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma;3149858[url
    http://sewretro.blogspot.com/2011/04/wedding-dress-pattern-retrospective-40s.html[/url]
    I made my bridesmaids dresses - it was one of the patterns: 1973. As you can see the hippie bohemian influence has filtered down to the masses

No, you did not choose the wrong words, it was fugly and never in style. Even for the 80's it was a poor knock off of a Barbie does Dynasty ugly, poorly and wrinkled.

vCash
    The only thing I would be interested in regarding the royal family is the day when Prince Harry is given a DNA test. That guy is NOT Prince Charles' biological son!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have seen picture of a gentleman from Diana's immediate circle whom Harry resembles in an uncanny way.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The only thing I would be interested in regarding the royal family is the day when Prince Harry is given a DNA test. That guy is NOT Prince Charles' biological son!
    I'm sure some would relish the scandal of James Hewitt being Harry's father, but I really doubt that Diana was fooling around barely two years after the wedding. I always thought that Harry had a strong resemblance to his uncle Charles Spencer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    No, not in wedding dresses, but in blouses/shirts. Ralph Lauren is all over the big sleeve!

I can tell you that when I was wedding dress shopping, the stores were loaded with diana dresses. And two years later, my cousin got married and they were still pretty dominant in the bridal stores.

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    No, you did not choose the wrong words, it was fugly and never in style. Even for the 80's it was a poor knock off of a Barbie does Dynasty ugly, poorly and wrinkled.
    Sorry, but they were definitely in style ^^. So were dresses with dropped waists and big tulle puffed skirts. Giant bows, giant sleeves, giant shoulder pads - the bigger, the better. Anyone remember Norma Kamali's 3"- 4" shoulder pads? Her shoulders out to there "skating dress" style sweats? They sort of looked like this dress, couldn't find the sweats - https://www.shopnastygal.com/product...ana-Dress.html I worked in NYC during the 80's, in advertising. I wore all of that awful "trendy" stuff. Go to this link and scroll down to the 1984/1984 page. http://www.missomnimedia.com/2009/08...ey-johnson/The black dress on the right - I had one just like it, but shorter and made of black corduroy. I was very cool!

The only thing about Diana's dress that I will agree was not on trend was the wrinkled fabric. We were wearing wrinkled gauzy ankle length skirts and peasant blouses (with shoulder pads ) in '79 - '80, but that was casual.
    Last edited by cruisin; 04-27-2011 at 12:21 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Think what you want, cruisin. Trendy and in style are not necessarily stylish which is why I said I may have used the wrong words. The flippin' dress was fugly no many how many copies were made or sold in bridal salons. If you liked it that's fine, I'll lose no sleep over that.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I agree with Skatingfan 5... Harry has inherited the Spencer genes. IMO Will is a combination of his mother's genes & those of his grandfather Prince Phillip. As to Charles, he apparently inherited all the worst possible genes of his parents when it comes to looks. Homliest man of the century! BTW, in the documentary, "Wild About Prince Harry" they actually mentioned that Harry was 2 years old when his mother first met James Hewitt.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast