Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This blog post yesterday talks about how one's interest in the royal wedding is directly related to your mother's interest in Charles and Diana's wedding. Kinda interesting: Why I Won't Watch the Royal Wedding
    I think that's a reach.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This blog post yesterday talks about how one's interest in the royal wedding is directly related to your mother's interest in Charles and Diana's wedding. Kinda interesting: Why I Won't Watch the Royal Wedding
    Thanks Reese! Interesting! I got totally turned off to Diana because my mother worshipped her simply for getting married to royalty and because she was a princess! Really great reasons to be totally obssessed with somebody you don't even know....Later, however, she began not liking Diana for a variety of reasons (not going to knock the dead-I used to. I've made a vow not to do so anymore in detail. But I will be honest to say I'm not a fan and leave it at that.) But by then it was too late-I was turned off. I like Kate a lot, though. Good luck and best wishes to them both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Why bother getting up at 4am
    To watch skating

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Although I am very interested in the wedding itself and will be taking the day off work to fully enjoy it, I have avoided nearly all the advance coverage, speculation, rehashes of old specials, slapped together "documentaries," fluff pieces etc. From what I can tell, most of it is just designed to capitalize on an opportunity (not that there's anything wrong with that), rather than offering anything new or insightful, or even entertaining.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Only if it works in reverse--I adore anything that reeks of pomp and circumstance and ritual, my mother could not possibly care less. (Probably much the same as I WANTED to be a practicing Catholic while my parents basically had us baptized and said "You're on your own from here on out, kid"--they went to Catholic schools and were raised by immigrant Catholic/Eastern Rite Catholic families, I was raised by them, lapsed at best!)

See, we all really are just rebelling against our parents!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Although I am very interested in the wedding itself and will be taking the day off work to fully enjoy it, I have avoided nearly all the advance coverage, speculation, rehashes of old specials, slapped together "documentaries," fluff pieces etc. From what I can tell, most of it is just designed to capitalize on an opportunity (not that there's anything wrong with that), rather than offering anything new or insightful, or even entertaining.
    I liked watching, I think it was TLC's, rebroadcast of Charles and Diana's wedding, as I wasn't old enough to remember anything about it. Though I found myself spending much of it thinking "I am so glad I didn't have to groom and braid all those horses and clean all the harnesses" and thinking the shot of a horse lying in his stall and getting prodded up by his handler was so typical, and he was probably lying down just to grind in the manure stains really good.

THERE'S another reason to get up at 4am--when you have to get a horse clean for something. (I notice many of the Household Cav's horses have roached, ie shorn off, manes, like the Old Guard Caisson horses...must..not..roach...Lucky's...mane...must. .put...down...clippers...)

vCash
    I do think the wedding hype is over the top, but is it that much worse than the hype over Chelsea Clinton's wedding? The public is in love with the romance, the fashion, the extravagance. It's a glimpse into a world most of us will never see, in real life. It can get annoying, but I don't hate it. In a way, it's something pretty, in a world that is generally a mess. A bit of escape from the ugliness of the Middle East, economic troubles, etc. I am definitely up for seeing the dress, and the bridesmaid's dresses. The tiara, I don't much care about, they are all a bit too ornate for my taste.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I didn't think I cared at all, but as it's gotten closer I've found myself more interested. I also like that the reports I've seen so far sound nice - the request for charitable donations and the inclusion of reps from the various charities, the inclusion of the widows of some of the servicemen William knew who died in Afghanistan, and Kate inviting some of the storekeepers from her home town. There's enough unpleasant stuff on the news, it will be nice to see something festive and fun.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Vacant
    vCash
    I'm not surprised some of you are totally turned off by it. I thought the hype was bad here in the UK but they showed some US coverage during the lunchtime new today as if to say, if you think we're going over the top, wait till you see this!! I mean NBC are apparently sending all 6 of their anchors over to cover this?

vCash
    Ambivalent. Hope her dress is better than Diana's. I'll see whatever show up on the news. And of course will check out all the snarky comments here.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash

Thumbs up

Sure, I'll watch it. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I'm not into it, but I kinda understand it. When so many celebrities are bombarding us with train-wrecks and soap operas ( ala Charlie Sheen, to name one), people naturally look for something a little more pleasent. Plus, there is the shadow of Diana, who was a breath of fresh air in the otherwise moribound British Monarchy.

vCash
    I have to admit that while I found Charles and Di post-wedding very interesting, in general I despise weddings and how they make people act like complete asses. I can only imagine a royal wedding magnifying this....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I don't have any disdain for all of the coverage. I just simply am not investing in it. I wish the couple well.
    This. And I won't be getting up at 5 am for this either (though I might DVR it in case something really crazy occurs, but I do wish the couple well.)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    The answer to "am I the only one who.......?" threads is always "No".
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You realize that's a challenge, right? Someone is now going to try and come up with a thread where they are, truly, the only one.
    If someone did come up with one where they were the only or one of the very few, the majority here would really dump on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I didn't think I cared at all, but as it's gotten closer I've found myself more interested. I also like that the reports I've seen so far sound nice - the request for charitable donations and the inclusion of reps from the various charities, the inclusion of the widows of some of the servicemen William knew who died in Afghanistan, and Kate inviting some of the storekeepers from her home town. There's enough unpleasant stuff on the news, it will be nice to see something festive and fun.
    I feel the same way. These people seem nice but I don't know them thus wasn't much interested & I haven't watched any of the pre-stuff. But I did read today that their actual close friends will be right down in front of the abbey, regardless of rank. To me that says a lot about this couple. And I watch Say Yes to the Dress, so I am interested in seeing Kate's dress & the wedding party's outfits. But I will catch that on the news later. I won't be getting up early.

vCash
    I fully admit that I am a 100% obsessed British history/monarchy nut-job who's gonna have a living room full of similar types at 5am.

HOWEVER, all this pre-ceremony TLC/Wedding Central/etc fluff is cringe-worthy. I am going to make it a point to watch a BBC feed, since everytime a US newsteam does a British Royal event, they never seem to know what they're talking about.

"And now Willard Scott is gonna tell us about how the Queen of England can have people's heads chopped off if they pinch a swan!"
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-26-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I've snarked about this very thing! Will be very glad when it is all over. I can only imagine how it must be to actually live in the U.K. They can't possibly get away from it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I live in Royal country (8 miles from Highgrove, 3 miles from Princess Anne's house, but I won't be watching any of it. Roll on the republic and an elected Head of State!
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Ambivalent. Hope her dress is better than Diana's. I'll see whatever show up on the news. And of course will check out all the snarky comments here.
    Diana's dress was beautiful for the time. There were more copies of that dress than any other I can remember. It's just out of style now, but it was during a time where the fashion was big - al la Dynasty.

vCash
    I find it interesting & enjoy watching 'all the extra stuff' as a simple way to escape the rigors of everyday life. Thank goodness for DVRs.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast