Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Totally and completely underwhelmed so far

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I liked it. I liked the first kid, the 20 year guy whose mom gave him 2 years to get it together, the middle guy in the Anser group (the side guys could be changed out), the 42 year old lady, and the rapper. I like seeing older more mature singers. The voice is my favorite, but I will watch this over Idol.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I enjoyed it. I like the audition format better. I could have done without all the airtime they gave to the junk waver.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i didnt enjoy the OTT child or the old people, or anyone not named cheryl - i may skip the rest of the auditions
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I watched and will probaly watch again, but not tonight. I also was a little bored during the 2nd half. LOVED Cheryl!! Don't like Nicole. Think they made a bad move with that one.

Vacant
    vCash
    Nice to see some Chezza (Cheryl) love here. If I were American I would be soooo offended at the USTV execs who presumed on my behalf that I would not be able to understand her because of her accent. It's not that strong - there are many Geordies who I cannot understand and I'm British - and she has a natural warmth that comes across in this kind of format very well. It is the UK X Factor that made her and the TV and press have had a field day this morning claiming Cowell has made a monumental mistake.

This airs tonight over here and I will tune in just to see whether the format has been changed at all for US audiences. BTW our UK version has many new judges this year and Cheryl has been replaced by Kelly Rowlands who is knocking it out of the ball park. She is absolutely the star judge this year!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    from my grassy knoll i wonder if it all (my new bff cheryl's hiring and firing) wasnt prefabricated for publicity or to help negotiate w the other judges
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I switched over to Toddlers and Tiaras midway through the second hour, to see some real drama and crazy. I thought Cheryl Cole was great and Pussycat Girl was (yawn). And if Simon is going to be on a show I want to see Tells-It-Like-It-Is Simon, not Suck-up Simon. If that Beyonce wannabe with the red spandex shorts/underwear had shown up on Idol, he would have booted her after the first shrieky pitch.

And really, Paula's reaction to Junk Guy was a little OTT. I'm sure she has seen that part of a man before. Was there something else under that X Factor logo that made her run away and puke?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I caught the guy who took off his pants.

When do the live shows begin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    BTW our UK version has many new judges this year and Cheryl has been replaced by Kelly Rowlands who is knocking it out of the ball park. She is absolutely the star judge this year!!
    Kelly Rowland is the best music show judge I've ever seen. Love her.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    from my grassy knoll i wonder if it all (my new bff cheryl's hiring and firing) wasnt prefabricated for publicity or to help negotiate w the other judges
    I am pretty sure that's what happened. All this drama will not only ensure very high ratings for US X Factor in the UK, which otherwise not many people would care about, but it also meant loads of publicity for X-Factor in general, just before it was due to air in the UK.

I mean they screen tested her extensively, they knew her accent, etc.

Although there were also sources saying Cheryl was depressed, was difficult to cooperate with, refused any kind of help and then (after refusing a stylist) turned up wearing that RIDICULOUS Scooby Doo's Daphne outfit complete with BIG HAIR.

But then it could have been made up by the execs, obviously.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-23-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Actually, the ratings weren't that good and they dropped significantly in the 2nd hour. There wasn't much competition in the first hour, but apparently a majority of viewers did like I did and switched channels. Frankly, I think most US viewers are tired of the bad audition crap that is the hallmark of Idol and X Factor. The Voice and The SingOff spoiled viewers. It remains to be seen how they do overall. I didn't see enough to make me watch any more of the taped shows.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Anyone else think it was strange that the opening music and graphics were almost identical to American Idol...?

I enjoyed the first show, but agree with most of the criticisms people have already stated. One other thing they should drop is that when the judges have spent five minutes raving about a contestant, and then they spend another minute or two stating whether they get a YES vote or not. Very suspenseful...

And how about Nicole Scherzinger's introduction? After they talk about her earlier successes, it is stated that now she is a multi-platinum selling artist in her own right. In Australia! Her first album was to be released in 2007, then 2008 and then 2009, before finally being shelved. Her new album has had hits in the UK and Australia, but in the U.S., "Right There" only managed to sneak into the top 40 (reaching #39).

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I wondered if Simon is Cheryl's manager, and this was his way of introducing her to American audiences. I don't know if any of Cheryl's CD's (or those of Girls Aloud, the group she was in before beginning a solo career) have even been released in North America. This was one way of letting North Americans know that she exists...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Her new album has had hits in the UK and Australia, but in the U.S., "Right There" only managed to sneak into the top 40 (reaching #39).
    Over 120,000 copies sold in the UK isn't amazing but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I wondered if Simon is Cheryl's manager, and this was his way of introducing her to American audiences. I don't know if any of Cheryl's CD's (or those of Girls Aloud, the group she was in before beginning a solo career) have even been released in North America. This was one way of letting North Americans know that she exists...
    will.i.am is Cheryl's manager. Cheryl reportedly refuses to speak to Simon Cowell ever since she got sacked.

Neither Girls Aloud, nor Cheryl's solo albums have been released in the US.

Cheryl's Cole second album was supposed to be released in the US, with the X-Factor used to promote it. That's now been shelved, obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Neither Girls Aloud, nor Cheryl's solo albums have been released in the US.
    I think Cheryl's album was - at least, you can get it on iTunes.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think Cheryl's album was - at least, you can get it on iTunes.
    You're right, it is. I meant a proper physical release with promotion, the whole broohah.

If she performed Promise This live on X-Factor US, it would surely result in big (or at least decent) US sales for her.

Not gonna happen now.

vCash
    This is total BS. How come the Americans couldn't get Kelly? I actually don't mind Nicole though. I thought she did just fine on The Sing-Off.

vCash
    I was flipping through channels last night and watched this for about two minutes. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that I was catching an American Idol rerun. There was Simon at one end of a table, Paula next to him, and a black guy on the other end. This is a new show for American viewers, but it already feels old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    I was flipping through channels last night and watched this for about two minutes. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that I was catching an American Idol rerun. There was Simon at one end of a table, Paula next to him, and a black guy on the other end. This is a new show for American viewers, but it already feels old.
    Really? "A black guy"? That's L.A. Reid. Educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Re...ds.2FAccolades

Comparing Randy "Dawg" Jackson to L.A. is like comparing fleas to a Best in Show winner.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Melanie performed a pitch-perfect carbon copy of "Listen". However, we already have a Beyonce...

What did people think about Dexter, who got bad reviews for performing James Brown, and then, when given a second chance...sang James Brown? (And then the judges put him through!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Over 120,000 copies sold in the UK isn't amazing but it's nothing to sneeze at.
    According to wikipedia, that's a gold album (300,000 for platinum). Maybe if Nicole gets to perform live on the U.S. X-Factor it could take a future single farther up the charts than "Right There". Her CD, "Killer Love" has been released around the world, but I don't think it's been released in her home country yet...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Vacant
    vCash
    I turned off after Cheryl got the boot. That is one very dull judging panel

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast