Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Left of Center
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Skinny Models Provide Useful Incentives for Obese People to Lose Weight, Italian Rese


  2. #2
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    9,740
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't know about his theory, but that is one ugly model body.

  3. #3
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,345
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    LOL at one commenter on the model in the picture--"shagging her would be like banging a bicycle." (My favorite version of that which I've heard is "who wants to f*$! a pillowcase full of coathangers?")

    And if by "lose weight" they mean "take up bulimia as a hobby" I'll give them that...since what's walking the runways these days makes the girls on ANTM look morbidly obese and is unattainable by 99% of the population, it's not inspirational, just soul-suckingly depressing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The body of "Just a friendly reminder to hit the gym" doesn't look like she's ever lifted weights in her life. You can be thin and NOT very fit! I had a friend who, prior to actually taking up exercise, was described as "the skinniest fat person I know" because, although she was slender, she didn't eat healthily or exercise at all.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,862
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    Crock of shite theory, IMO.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,972
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    I can't relate to those women at all - their bodies are so unlike mine.

    I remember in high school dieting down to 105 lbs (i'm 5'5"). I thought it would make me look like that. It didn't. When I looked in the mirror I saw the same body with a lot of bones sticking out. It was also extremely boring because all I thought about all day was what I would eat next. I gave it up after a month or two.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,871
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    The body of "Just a friendly reminder to hit the gym" doesn't look like she's ever lifted weights in her life. You can be thin and NOT very fit! I had a friend who, prior to actually taking up exercise, was described as "the skinniest fat person I know" because, although she was slender, she didn't eat healthily or exercise at all.
    That girl's definitely never lifted any weights! She doesn't have any muscle at all. She probably just doesn't eat very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I remember in high school dieting down to 105 lbs (i'm 5'5"). I thought it would make me look like that. It didn't. When I looked in the mirror I saw the same body with a lot of bones sticking out. It was also extremely boring because all I thought about all day was what I would eat next. I gave it up after a month or two.
    I'm naturally about that size and I'm still all bones. I don't think it's the best look either, but I'm not gonna worry about it, because I'd rather spend my mental energy on more fun things. Life is too short to be worrying about that kind of stuff!

    Not being a stick doesn't automatically mean you're gonna die of heart disease, just like being a stick doesn't automatically mean you're healthy. I think being happy with how you look leads to healthier eating and activity levels than being unhappy and having some kind of physical goal be your incentive. Bodies don't always listen to what you say!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Should we also give anorexic girls photos of 400-pound people in order to encourage them to gain weight?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,789
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2672
    Obesity is not cool but being that boney is not cool either. Neither are that healthy but I bet an slightly obese person is better health wise that boney girl.

    This is a huge sore issue with me. I see these skinny fat women all the time at the gym. Doing hours on the cardio machines yet have the muscle tone of a 90 year old man. Most of these women's body fat percentage is high, higher than most people would think because their muscle is lacking.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,972
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    Some people are naturally that thin. If someone's face is not sunken and their skin and hair look healthy I don't assume that they are anorexic.

    I just think it is pointless to aspire to a body-type you will never have.

  11. #11
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,345
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Some people are naturally that thin. If someone's face is not sunken and their skin and hair look healthy I don't assume that they are anorexic.

    I just think it is pointless to aspire to a body-type you will never have.
    Which is why I would bet most of what went down the runway at London Fashion Week, anyway, were severely disordered eaters, as sunken eyes? Able to count their ribs through their back? Concave stomachs? check, check, double check. None natural or normal, and not a set of toned abs or ripped arms to be seen. Naturally slim women still have body fat and you can't do skeletal anatomy on them without an x-ray. Fit women build muscle. (Chantal Sutherland is probably five inches and thirty pounds smaller than me, as you pretty much have to be to make weights as a jockey, and I wouldn't get into a fistfight with her. Girl is solid muscle.)

    And it would be pointless to aspire to a body-type you can't have, except that the weight-loss and fashion industries both stake their revenue on it and the 'peer pressure' advertising assumption is "Of course you can have a slender, svelte body! You just have to diet right and exercise hard! If you don't achieve this it's because you're lazy and eating wrong." Fashion adds on a heaping helping of "These clothes are sexy and make you look sexy, if you're thin enough to be worthy of them. If you're bigger than a 4 you might as well buy a floral-print mumu, you fat cow." Sure, we can say to ignore those messages but it's hard when they're repeated everywhere.

  12. #12
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7429
    Bullshit.

    I'd love to see their methodology. Just because people eat less when they look at skinny people doesn't mean they eat less overall, for one thing.

    This "study" just proves that discrimination against fat people is the last acceptable prejudice. Can you imagine writing such a thing about any other disease or addiction? Well, I guess we better not show people drinking on tv because that will encourage alcoholics to think drinking is okay. Or people with heart disease, either.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,871
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Obesity is not cool but being that boney is not cool either. Neither are that healthy but I bet an slightly obese person is better health wise that boney girl.

    This is a huge sore issue with me. I see these skinny fat women all the time at the gym. Doing hours on the cardio machines yet have the muscle tone of a 90 year old man. Most of these women's body fat percentage is high, higher than most people would think because their muscle is lacking.
    If you're doing "hours" of cardio, something must be wrong if your body fat percentage is still high! Lack of muscle tone means just that, lack of muscle tone. It doesn't mean that most of your weight will be fat. If you're thin and have no mass showing (especially since fat is pretty light), most of your weight will probably be organs and bones. I'm a skinny stick who does practically no exercise and whenever I try those electrical body fat counters, my body fat measures less than 20%, which means I'm "athletic." I'm sure if you calculated it properly (and not with those dinky handheld machines), it would be more than that, but I'm sure it's still pretty low.

    "Healthy" is pretty relative too. No, I will probably not die of heart disease, but osteoporosis runs rampant in my family because of our tiny frames.

    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Some people are naturally that thin. If someone's face is not sunken and their skin and hair look healthy I don't assume that they are anorexic.

    I just think it is pointless to aspire to a body-type you will never have.
    Absolutely. You can usually tell by looking at someone's wrists. I have ridiculously teeny wrists and it's obvious I was never meant to carry a lot of weight on my frame. My arms are smaller than the girl in the photo and my elbows don't stick out that far.

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And it would be pointless to aspire to a body-type you can't have, except that the weight-loss and fashion industries both stake their revenue on it and the 'peer pressure' advertising assumption is "Of course you can have a slender, svelte body! You just have to diet right and exercise hard! If you don't achieve this it's because you're lazy and eating wrong." Fashion adds on a heaping helping of "These clothes are sexy and make you look sexy, if you're thin enough to be worthy of them. If you're bigger than a 4 you might as well buy a floral-print mumu, you fat cow." Sure, we can say to ignore those messages but it's hard when they're repeated everywhere.
    Looking at fashion magazines makes even a skinny like me feel guilty, because they make me feel like a failure of a woman if I don't spend time lusting after or spend on trendy clothes I can wear even when I'm that thin. It's a no-win situation!

    So I don't look at fashion magazines anymore.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,972
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Which is why I would bet most of what went down the runway at London Fashion Week, anyway, were severely disordered eaters, as sunken eyes? Able to count their ribs through their back? Concave stomachs? check, check, double check. None natural or normal, and not a set of toned abs or ripped arms to be seen. Naturally slim women still have body fat and you can't do skeletal anatomy on them without an x-ray. Fit women build muscle. (Chantal Sutherland is probably five inches and thirty pounds smaller than me, as you pretty much have to be to make weights as a jockey, and I wouldn't get into a fistfight with her. Girl is solid muscle.)

    And it would be pointless to aspire to a body-type you can't have, except that the weight-loss and fashion industries both stake their revenue on it and the 'peer pressure' advertising assumption is "Of course you can have a slender, svelte body! You just have to diet right and exercise hard! If you don't achieve this it's because you're lazy and eating wrong." Fashion adds on a heaping helping of "These clothes are sexy and make you look sexy, if you're thin enough to be worthy of them. If you're bigger than a 4 you might as well buy a floral-print mumu, you fat cow." Sure, we can say to ignore those messages but it's hard when they're repeated everywhere.
    I would guess that most models are naturally thin women who have taken it to the extreme. Most of them report (when their careers are over) that they are always pressured to lose 5 or 10 more lbs. I guess the designers like that look because the women don't steal attention from the clothes, but if that is the case why not just send the clothes out on hangers?

  15. #15
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7429
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    but if that is the case why not just send the clothes out on hangers?
    Because they get more sales if they are on people.

    Seriously, they do. It's easier for the customers to imagine what they'd look like. That's why they have stuff on manikins in the store as well.

    As for body fat %, there are studies that show the best way to lose fat is to do strength training along with the cardio. A lot of the people who just do cardio do have a higher body fat percentage than you'd think from their BMI. I found that interesting.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,789
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2672
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    If you're doing "hours" of cardio, something must be wrong if your body fat percentage is still high! Lack of muscle tone means just that, lack of muscle tone. It doesn't mean that most of your weight will be fat. If you're thin and have no mass showing (especially since fat is pretty light), most of your weight will probably be organs and bones. I'm a skinny stick who does practically no exercise and whenever I try those electrical body fat counters, my body fat measures less than 20%, which means I'm "athletic." I'm sure if you calculated it properly (and not with those dinky handheld machines), it would be more than that, but I'm sure it's still pretty low.

    "Healthy" is pretty relative too. No, I will probably not die of heart disease, but osteoporosis runs rampant in my family because of our tiny frames.


    Absolutely. You can usually tell by looking at someone's wrists. I have ridiculously teeny wrists and it's obvious I was never meant to carry a lot of weight on my frame. My arms are smaller than the girl in the photo and my elbows don't stick out that far.
    Actually the body will stop burning fat and burn muscle tissue during exercise. If you lose to much muscle mass then your metabolism will slow down causing you to gain fat. So, it is not only usless to do too much cardio everyday it’s also harmful.

    Also, if one is burning way more calories then their body needs to function, the body will store fat for energy.

    You body type/frame may not be able to carry a lot of weight, but you'd be amazed what gaining 10 pounds of muscle would do to your frame. If have osteoporosis in your family you need to be doing some strength training.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,871
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Because they get more sales if they are on people.

    Seriously, they do. It's easier for the customers to imagine what they'd look like. That's why they have stuff on manikins in the store as well.
    Most of the time while looking at runway fashions, I'm at how thin the girls are now. I'm no longer looking at the clothes!

    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    You body type/frame may not be able to carry a lot of weight, but you'd be amazed what gaining 10 pounds of muscle would do to your frame. If have osteoporosis in your family you need to be doing some strength training.
    Definitely. I enjoy strength training much more than tedious boring cardio anyway. But apparently the best way to gain actual bone strength is jumping rope.

    My cousin is in med school right now and they learned about osteoporosis pretty recently. He pretty much said that I was screwed no matter what I did (woohoo genetics), but strength training I figured couldn't hurt.

  18. #18
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7429
    It can't hurt and it's fun.

    But you'll need to eat even more than you do now...
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,871
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It can't hurt and it's fun.

    But you'll need to eat even more than you do now...
    When she was last pregnant, my coworker said her ob put her on a fries and milkshake diet to make sure she gained enough weight when she didn't gain any 5 months in. Then she joked that I would need 2 milkshakes a day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •