vCash

Will strategy be the key for the Ladies?

In a year filled with surprises how do the strategies impact the field coming to Moscow? Staying the course like Phaneuf with Barabe, changing coaches like Asado to Sato or taking time off like Kim?

If you are willing to be quoted during the CBC broadcast - please put an OK at the end of your response. If you just want to join in the discussion here - that's great too! Thanks for your support Pj [/B]

vCash
    Even though it was my question - here is what I think: I think that it showed real guts for Mao to make the coaching change and then struggle through technique changes in plain view of the whole world. The fact that she was willing to go through the process with her "eye on the prize" so to speak gives her a bit of an edge....

vCash
    From the initial reviews coming out of Moscow, it sounds like Yuna Kim is looking very strong -- I suspect she will be in a class by herself again this and build up an insurmountable lead in the short program.

OK
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I am not sure whether they are 'strategies' as such, TBH.

Mao needed to fix her jump techniques for Sochi and thus needed a new coach, and what more ideal time is there to do so than the first year of the Olympic cycle? If it is a strategy, it is the one for Sochi, not for this Worlds.

Yu-Na needed to have time off after all the tension and hard work for Vancouver Olys, just like Johnny or Evan, but she has no choice but to come to the Worlds for her country - there is no one else In Korea, who can secure the minimum 2 spots for the next Worlds. For the future of Korean skating, she needed to come back now.

Miki stayed on course as Tokyo was hosting the Worlds originally, as all other Team Japan stayed on.

OK

vCash
    I think the ladies will get what they wanted. Mao wanted to improve her jump techniques and she will likely display improved jumps including that triple axel. Yu-Na wanted to improve her artistry, and she will likely show the most artistic program. Who dare to say which way is better? Strategies come from one's philosophy. It would be an excellent opportunity for the judges and fans to rethink about their own ideas of this sport. Whoever closer to achieve her own goal will win.

OK

vCash
    That's a pretty tough question, especially given the delay and change of location, which no one planned on, could strategized for.

I think Mao did a necessary but very brave thing. Going back and re-learning her jumps, and dealing the results that had to bring with it, took courage and guts.

Kim.......also very brave. Hopefully by taking a year off, and changing coaches she did what she felt she had to do to allow herself to breath, re-group, and move her skating to a new level.

Ando - she has been steady and secure, and it looks like it has paid off.

And Cizsny - Bravery........major. She changed everything, and, in the face of her results so far have been astonishing.

The one I find perplexing is Flatt..........but, perhaps her steadfastness will serve her well.

I just hope everyone skates their best.

OK
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I really don't think Yuna Kim skipping the Grand Prix had anything to do with strategy. She had numerous obligations and commercial opportunities after winning the Olympic Gold that kept her from normal training regimen. A change in her training environment also played its part in keeping her away from competitions. IMO, She, like most other ladies who made changes during the season, was trying to deal with the given situation rather than carry out a strategy.

Only lady that comes to mind as having a clear strategy for current season is Miki Ando. She is avoiding risky elements like triple-triples and 3flip in sp, while back loading 5 of her jumping passages in 2nd half of long program. We will see whether this strategy continues to work in her favor in the Worlds like it has all season long.

OK
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 04-26-2011 at 09:42 AM.

vCash
    Strategy isn't restricted to a single event. The delay in the timing of the event has probably posed challenges to all the skaters, so everyone will be strategizing as to how to come back strong after the delay and with whatever momentum they might have had from results earlier in the season.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"