Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Polish vegetarian dishes

Help! I am attending an Easter dinner with a full Polish menu. Knowing the cooks and, to a lesser degree, Polish cuisine, I suspect it will be rather meat-heavy. I'm pretty sure I will be the only vegetarian in attendance and want to bring a non-meat dish to pass while sticking to the theme. Any ideas?? They will already have some sort of pirogi (that seems rather difficult anyway).
    Thanks in advance!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I can't help you from personal experience but here's a wiki page that has a variety of recipes.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Catego...ish_Vegetarian

BTW, your post comes up on the first google page.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Paging Southpaw!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Stuffed cabbage (golumki)! Substitute tofu crumbles for the meat or make them with a mix of white and wild rice. It's yummy.
    Good recipe here. I prefer them with a plain tomato based sauce (no sour cream) and usually just do a quick sauce with crushed tomato, olive oil, and paprika.

They travel really well if you do them in a covered baking dish. Don't sauce them until you reheat them, otherwise the cabbage will get too soggy.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Help! I am attending an Easter dinner with a full Polish menu. Knowing the cooks and, to a lesser degree, Polish cuisine, I suspect it will be rather meat-heavy.
    Yes. If you don't bring anything vegetarian, you might not have anything (or much) to eat. Do the hosts know you're a vegetarian? How do they feel about vegetarianism in general? (read on)

I'm pretty sure I will be the only vegetarian in attendance and want to bring a non-meat dish to pass while sticking to the theme. Any ideas?? They will already have some sort of pirogi (that seems rather difficult anyway).
    Thanks in advance!
    I don't think there are any specific Polish vegetarian dishes. You could make red borscht. White borscht might be harder to make without meat, but not impossible. Make sure your hosts are not making either (or both) of those. You could bake babka.

Be careful with pierogi, even if they're the most common kind (potato and cheese), they might have greaves (skwarki) on them. Others might be cabbage and meat filling. You could make pierogi with cabbage and mushrooms, but 1. making any pierogi is in general very time consuming, especially the cabbage + anything; 2. most people would prefer the cabbage + meat/potato & cheese kind anyway.

Other than that good luck. I once visited my friend from college at Easter. They were Orthodox so I thought I had nothing to worry about but as it turned out her aunt was Catholic. I was dragged to the Easter dinner and it was...bad. I don't remember what I ate, but I think they had fish so that saved me but my refusal to eat any other kind of meat became the topic of conversation. Her aunt was visibly upset because to her it looked like nothing was good enough for me. She was a very nice lady, but the situation was still somewhat tense. I was her guest and she wanted to please me. I didn't want to hurt her feelings but I am not going to eat meat for anyone.

When I stopped apologizing and people stopped badgering me to eat meat and the moods lightened up, they started pouring vodka. I thought: I'M FCUKED. I don't drink vodka (especially half a glass of vodka). I was ready to skin my friend, she found the whole thing hilarious.

Many people in Poland (especially the older generation) still don't understand vegetarianism. They might be offended, think you're joking, "No, seriously, just try it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Stuffed cabbage (golumki)! Substitute tofu crumbles for the meat or make them with a mix of white and wild rice. It's yummy.
    Good recipe here. I prefer them with a plain tomato based sauce (no sour cream) and usually just do a quick sauce with crushed tomato, olive oil, and paprika.
    I use mushrooms instead of meat (mixed with rice), and I serve them with mushroom sauce (different mushrooms).

As for golumki/golumpki/golomki. Sometimes a name is so removed from the original I have to read the English description to know what it is.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Many people in Poland (especially the older generation) still don't understand vegetarianism. They might be offended, think you're joking, "No, seriously, just try it!"
    That reminds me of the scene from Everything is Illuminated.

"I'm a vegetarian."
    "What's wrong with you?"
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I'd just make golubki with rice stuffing instead of meat and rice. You should be able to find a Lenten recipe that's meat-free. Or do your own pierogi so you can be sure they don't have anything in them (they're kind of a PITA to make, but you can use potato, cheese, sauerkraut, mushrooms...)

(Being Polish and Ukrainian I have to admit, I have the same gut reaction as the lady in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"---"You no eat MEAT?" *beat* "Is all right. I make lamb.")

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Paging Southpaw!
    I'm with the others who say don't bother making pierogi. It's an all day affair.

How about buttered noodles and cabbage? It may clog your heart, but it's meatless.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/polish...es/Detail.aspx
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

From the Bloc
    vCash
    My background includes Polish, Russian and Ukrainian so it's hard to tell what dishes were more Polish, but I do agree with those who suggest cabbage rolls stuffed with rice and doused in tomato sauce. Another thought is pickles - we always had pickled beets and pickled herring, and if you can't buy them, there are plenty of quick and easy recipes on the internet. If you are not storing for a long time there's no worry of sterilized jars and all that.

We always had a little veggie tray too - radishes, celery, carrots etc - so you could bring an appetizer platter and fill up on that. And salad - traditionally with a sour cream-based dressing, but if don't want to include dairy it's easy enough to do a vinagrette. Be sure to include fresh dill!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I doubt it's Polish ( what do I know) but I have a recipe for a delicious creamy baked cabbage. You can leave out the bacon.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    "Polish vegetarian dishes" cannot be found. Did you mean to search for "pork"?

vCash
    There was (and perhaps still is) a Polish restaurant in Santa Monica that had a heavenly spring vegetable soup -- milky, but not thick, and chock full of lovely vegetables. It was a great soup. I think it had celery root, and also fresh peas. Just yummy. Not sure what the "real" name of it is.

Are potato pancakes a possibility?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    "Polish vegetarian dishes" cannot be found. Did you mean to search for "pork"?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Windspirit
    If you don't bring anything vegetarian, you might not have anything (or much) to eat. Do the hosts know you're a vegetarian? How do they feel about vegetarianism in general? (read on)
    My aunt and uncle are the hosts and they do know- they no doubt think I'm crazy but are lovely and try to be accomodating and keep inviting me back for holidays. I've only been for Thanksgiving, which is easier. My experience at the dinner table was quite like yours though- my aunt's family (the Polish side) grilled me the whole time which was very awkward. I thought when I went back the next year it was all done with but the questions started up all over again! Apparently it's an entertaining source of conversation. It's been a couple of years now since I've joined them for a holiday so we'll see how it goes.

I've been assured there are many starches I can eat (it's actually gnocchi, not perogies, that they're making). They're the type that like to do everything themselves and usually refuse to let me bring anything other than wine, but I'm trying to change that this time. Thanks for the suggestions- the cabbage rolls sound like a great idea and fairly easily to transport.

Anyway, thanks again and wish me luck!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    There was (and perhaps still is) a Polish restaurant in Santa Monica that had a heavenly spring vegetable soup -- milky, but not thick, and chock full of lovely vegetables. It was a great soup. I think it had celery root, and also fresh peas. Just yummy. Not sure what the "real" name of it is. Are potato pancakes a possibility?
    That spring soup sounds delicious! My grandmother used to make schav, a tart sorrel soup, served cold. But it's not vegetarian, since it uses eggs (some recipes call for chicken stock). I've always used eggs when making potato pancakes, but perhaps there's a vegetarian version?

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I've always used eggs when making potato pancakes, but perhaps there's a vegetarian version?
    Old Belarussian recipe for latkes: grated potatoes, salt.

Seriously - potatoes are starchy, and that starch serves as a natural binding agent, so flour and eggs are not needed. I started making mine this way once I learned the recipe, and they're delicious. I do modify them slightly by incorporating a bit of finely minced shallot or onion into the potatoes.

You pile the grated potatoes in a little mound in the pan and then press them down so they're kind of smushing together, and voila - a latke is born.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I doubt it's Polish ( what do I know) but I have a recipe for a delicious creamy baked cabbage. You can leave out the bacon.
    I'm curious in that recipe... Share it please.

vCash
    I can't help you from personal experience but here's a wiki page that has a variety of recipes.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Catego...ish_Vegetarian
    Milanessa! Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jollibee View Post
    I'm not at home right now but will post it tonight. Simple to make and delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Milanessa! Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    3539 and counting.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jollibee View Post
    Here you go.

Ingredients

Small head of cabbage (about 4 cups)
    Cooked bacon (about half a cup broken up)
    Flour
    Salt (half of a teaspoon or to taste)
    Paprika (quarter of a teaspoon)
    Pepper (eighth of a teaspoon or to taste)
    1 cup of milk
    1 cup of soft bread crumbs (I use small cubes of day old bread)

Rough chop the cabbage and boil for about 7 minutes. Use the bacon grease to make a thick roux with the dry ingredients and milk. Drain the cabbage and mix in bacon then put in small baking dish (I use a small souffle dish). Pour the roux over the cabbage, a bit more bacon and the bread cubes on top and bake at 400F for 15 minutes. I drizzle a little butter on the top of the bread.
    3539 and counting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast