vCash

US skaters skating for another country

We got into a discussion the other day about a male skater who is a US citizen, belongs to a US club, and is a member of USFSA, but skates internationally for another country. And I wanted to ask you experts because we don't know the answer.

The question is, can this skater continue to skate for a different country, but attend Regionals, Sectionals, and US Nationals because he is a member in good standing? Some say yes he has that right while skating for another country overseas?

Your thoughts?

vCash
    http://usfigureskating.org/Content/2011%20Rulebook.pdf

See rule 3060/3061. As I understand it he has to get official permission to return to US qualifying competitions, meaning he can't do both in the same year.

But check with headquarters or the chair of the competition committee to be sure.

vCash
    My understanding is if he decides to skate for another country and gets a release from USFSA to do so, he gives up any right to skate under the USFSA system for the time he skates for that other country.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    That's my understanding, too. But he's free to enter nonqualifying club competitions if he's still a member of US Figure Skating.