Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Watch out for Micha Ge to sneak from behind and take it. To end all these nonsense fan catfights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Chan was always penalised on his tech marks for the mistakes he made.
    Not really, they just jack up his GOE further to compensate for the falls and other problems, even giving +2s or +3s in GOE even for small jumps with shaky landings that he stands up.

It's the PCS marks that got people riled up.
    And rightfully so. Such PCS for multi fall performances when as Vash said his skating lacks the artistry and soul of someone like Takahashi to begin with are an embarassment.

You saying he showed no humility just indicates that you didn't read all the articles about him during the GP series. He certainly expressed embarrassment and regret re his GP performances.
    He never even once suggested he was gifted in the scores though.

And let's just clear up once and for all Patrick did not say he is going to dominate the sport, or that he is a member of a club of elite athletes like Federer.
    He did say he expects to dominate the sport and that he is going to be part a member of an elite club with Federer et al.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Re Chan: we all might want to remember that he has never been a world champion. EVER. Yes, that may change this week. But his self-imposed comparisons to Federer and Woods are, at this point, a little bit... embarrassing.
    Patrick did not compare himself to Federer and Woods. He said it's his dream to be like them, not that he is like them

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

He did say he expects to dominate the sport and that he is going to be part a member of an elite club with Federer et al.
    He did not say that he expects to dominate the sport. Where did he say this?

He said that he'd like to, that it's his dream

Again - here's the link to the article
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=6662964

He hopes this breakthrough season means he's turned a corner on his career for good, and his ultimate vision for his career is within his grasp. Chan, a big fan of bold statements, said he'd like to dominate the event for years to come. Think what Wayne Gretzky did for hockey, or Tiger Woods for golf.

"It's a dream, it's go big or go home for me, reach for the best," said Chan, dressed in shorts and T-shirt after his practice, a tattoo of the Olympic rings adorning his left calf muscle. "There's always that one athlete that dominates in every sport. Tennis, it's Roger Federer at one point, Tiger Woods in golf at one point. It's kind of like a club."

vCash
    Excuse me jl22aries, the stance I'm taking has been sharing my opinions about Chan's skating and some of the comments he's made, and simply taking part in the thread discussion and responding to other posters' direct responses to my posts. You bring up some interesting points re varying fan perceptions based on cultural dichotomies and language barriers. Certainly, there has been a lot of heated emotions among fans about Johnny Weir. Every thread about him devolves into negativity. This thread is not about him, but because I am perceived as an uber who defends Johnny (actually he needs no defending from me), it seems to offend or amuse, or prompt a challenge if I mention Johnny within the context of discussing a topic on another skater.

I'm not the only poster here who takes issue with Chan's comments. He has gotten into trouble before from comments he's made, so this is not something new. Maybe some of what he is being quoted as saying might make him look worse than it should, but I agree with Vash01 that at face value it shows immaturity and hubris. Sure it's necessary to have ambition if you want to succeed, but anyone who makes those kind of bold statements has to be prepared to receive criticism and to back up their words. No one said Chan has to be "meek and mild." There's a difference between being confident and ambitious, and stating publicly that you are a lock to win. "I believe I can win," is different from, "There's no one else who can beat me." I do think Chan is a very talented skater, but from the articles about him in the Canadian press, it seems as if many Canadian fans and commentators feel he's the second coming of Toller Cranston, which unfortunately seems to have gone to Chan's head.

In any case, just because I don't perceive Chan to be as artistic as you do, that should not spoil your enjoyment of his skating. My assessment of his talent fairly credits him with amazing skating skills. And frankly, I think most of the posters here who are not huge fans of Chan have been fair in their comments. However, for anyone to state that Takahashi is the only skater on Chan's level is a bit of a head scratcher for me, and IMO, an insult to the other skaters. I think Dai should be held in more esteem as the defending champion, but I understand that a lot of fans and judges are very impressed with the strides Chan has made with quads. Still I don't think that is grounds for Chan to feel he is a lock to win, or to say that the postponement of Worlds in Japan was like "a meal" being snatched from under his nose. Maybe it's kind of humorous, but under the circumstances of what's been happening in Japan, that could also be considered an inappropriate analogy.

I also have to say the quote about "one athlete dominating ... kind of like a club" is pretty ripe for being criticized. Point taken alilou, that you read Patrick as saying it's a dream to reach for the best. It would be helpful to see him actually speaking within the context of the interview. Still, surely you can understand that fans of other skaters would take exception to the quote about dominating like Federer and Woods. Anyone can dream, but in making public statements like those, Chan has to be ready to back them up, and also be ready to take criticism. Maybe he is ready.

vCash
    Wow, I can't believe the negativity directed towards a 20 yr old from people on this board. It seems that everything Chan says is twisted and spun against him. I don't see anything wrong with any of his comments going into these Worlds. Would it help if I state that Dice will win this and Chan will not be in the medals. That's what it seems everyone here wants.

I think Chan is a super talent and hard worker. I love watching him skate and I feel that he does interpret the music (and I believe he feels it). He skates with heart while maintaining the requirements of COP.
    Addicted to FSU

Administrator
    vCash
    Ok, play nice. Don't make me close this thread because of incessant bickering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I think Chan is a super talent and hard worker. I love watching him skate and I feel that he does interpret the music (and I believe he feels it). He skates with heart while maintaining the requirements of COP.
    I absolutely agree. He is an amazing skater with so much passion. I do hope that he wins. It's very sad that fans of certain other skaters feel like they need to bash Patrick in order to elevate their skaters.

Jl22aaries, you're completely right. That post you mention repulses me. People who take things people say too literally and nit pick every single statement because they have some kind of unhealthy grudge against the skater. Grow up.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    There's a difference between being confident and ambitious, and stating publicly that you are a lock to win. "I believe I can win," is different from, "There's no one else who can beat me."
    When did Chan say he's a lock to win? When did he say "There's no one else who can beat me"? Do you have a link?

vCash
    1. I really like Patrick Chan's skating.

2. I don't think he's great artistically, but there are times when I think he can be.

3. He's definitely a wizard with the blade though - I really have no idea how he does what he does in his step sequences. That alone is enough to inspire awe in me.

4. Some of the comments he's made in the past have bugged me.

5. I admire his openness in wanting to dominate the sport. That's some heady stuff and as far as goals go, a terrific one.

6. He just scored 93.02 for his SP at worlds.

vCash
    Well, congratulations to new "much disliked by some" World Champion, Patrick Chan.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Well, congratulations to new "much disliked by some" World Champion, Patrick Chan.
    Wait, did I completely miss the long program somehow?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Wait, did I completely miss the long program somehow?
    Oh, you mean they haven't called it off yet? It's completely unnecessary. I can't see why they should still do it. Waste of energy and zamboni time really.

vCash
    I’ve stated my opinion on what I feel about Chan’s comments. And I seriously don’t think he cares what fans who don’t support him have to say. It’s just all his ubers here who are crying foul. When some of you pile on a skater you don’t like, that’s okay, but when someone else calls out a skater you do like for comments that its hardly out of bounds to question, it’s just so “repulsive.” I haven’t said that Chan is a bad, disgusting person, and no one here has overlooked the fact he has great skating skills. Posters have varying but fair opinions in this thread about Chan, and he hasn’t been bashed, he’s been called out. I stand by everything I’ve said.

Obviously Chan was ready to back up his “dream” comments, alilou, and so were the judges. Clearly, Chan skated lights out in the sp, and deserves to be far ahead. Dai skated great as well and deserved better marks. Joubert in front of Ten, Bradley, Dornbush and Miner is questionable, and Gachinski was over-scored because it’s taking place in Russia. But that’s figure skating. Some of the posters here predicted right, the competition is out of reach. Chan wins this year, and maybe it’s about time for him to, especially with the depleted field. He does deserve credit for making improvements to his skating, and I’ve said as much in previous posts. In regard to the dominance factor … if that’s all we have to look forward to over the next three years, the men’s field is going to be pretty boring. It will be interesting to see if Chan is able to stay injury-free, and maintain consistency on his quads, while improving his triple axel and his artistry. His sp was fantastic.

vCash
    If Patrick Chan becomes as dominate as he wants to be, the popularity of figure skating which is already on the decline will take a nosedive.

Chan deserves to win the SP. But after skating the SP, I don't think any skater should ever have the entire competition sewn up. But that appears to be the case. We all believe it. It makes the free skate a technicality. If this is how figure skating is going to be, why does it even need to have two programs?

I really don't believe the ISU understood the ripples of crapitude the change in scoring system would bring to this "sport". It's making it uniform, where everyone has to skate exactly the same way, in ugly costumes, to mostly the same music. And now it appears the free skate isn't even necessary in determining your champion. And that's assuming that it's not fixed. I know there are fans who embrace the CoP, but that takes all the beauty and originality, and maybe now even the competition, out of figure skating

Reading how much better Chan's fans think he is compared to everyone else is discouraging. Scores or no, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The idea of dominating figure skating is so backwards to me. It's a show. I know it's a sport. But it's still a show. Is anyone going to go see Patrick Chan on Ice starring Patrick Chan in a one man show? I don't think so. That's not figure skating. Pete Sampras' dominance of tennis was actually bad for tennis. He was unlikable. Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are popular champions. He wants to be them but imo he'd be more likely a Sampras if he were to become a multiple champion. Patrick Chan's own comments and what seems to a lot of people to be unfair scoring are making him hated. He doesn't deserve that, but it's happening. If you have a dominate champion who is hated by people who already like figure skating, what is it going to do but turn those people away? Does anyone think he'll bring people to the "sport" who don't already watch?

The whole 'Patrick Chan is God' thing needs to stop for the benefit of everyone involved no matter who is perpetrating it.

vCash
    I expect few "Chan rules" come next season Zayak's record should also be beaten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Made4Dancin View Post
    Oh, you mean they haven't called it off yet? It's completely unnecessary. I can't see why they should still do it. Waste of energy and zamboni time really.
    You know, the silver and bronze medals are also important.

vCash
    Hehe, I like to see Yuna one day earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    You know, the silver and bronze medals are also important.
    And also to see Daisuke's first ISU-rectified 4F (crosses fingers)

vCash
    The whole 'Patrick Chan is God' thing needs to stop for the benefit of everyone involved no matter who is perpetrating it.
    So who here believes that Patrick Chan is God? Hands please.

As much as I am a fan of his, I don't think he's be all and end off of skating let alone everything. I don't recall anyone on here calling or referring to him as God. If you can find such a post, I would be glad to read it.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Chan earned his scores. His was brilliant technically, and his PCS isn't even that high, not even near the Chanflation level.

I really have to at those who think:

1. Chan is too much ahead of everyone else. Chan brought it, other skaters didn't.

2. Chan has an attitude problem for stating he wants to win. This is a competitive sport. Keyword competitive.

3. The Chan Hate because he 'appears' to dominate at this moment.

Again, Chan brought the goods here in the SP with a solid program, great skating skills, and tons of technical content. If he continues to skate like this for the next few years where no one else in the world could, and unless he's cybernetic-ally or genetically enhanced, it's not his fault that he's going to dominate.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast