Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I'm going to put this out there . . . I think Ryan Bradley will land on the podium. Yup, I said it.
    I'm not even that much of a Bradley fan, and I pretty much never make predictions, but I think he'll land on the podium too. He seems so primed, and the extra time has been a huge bonus to him.

ETA:OMG I can't believe I said that
    Last edited by alilou; 04-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Chan will win easily.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver98 View Post
    Chan will win easily.
    ... probably, no matter how Candyman skates. One reason more of millions to root for Dai ...

Banned Member
    vCash
    I hope Chan lands his three quads and Plushenko is there to witness it might stop any grandiose comeback attempts from him for Sochi.

vCash
    I would be exactly happy for either Chan or Takahashi to win, but I kind of feel that Chan might be stronger in Moscow.

vCash
    It may seem like this event is Chan vs. Takahashi, but I have a feeling Kozuka and Verner could be sleepers to watch here. Tomas has found new consistency this season, has the confidence of having beat Patrick in Moscow this season, is capable of gorgeous quad-triple combos, and probably doesn't have much pressure on him at this event. As for Kozuka, he's been really consistent in the LP this season, which is a gem when he skates it well, and being the 3rd Japanese/the one who has to go through qualifying, I think that will take some pressure off him, making it more feasible for him to skate a blinder and end up on the podium, or even winning.

OK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think Chan is the man to beat at Worlds this year, but his performance COULD be topped, most likely by Takahashi. I wouldn't count Brian Joubert out either, though. Even if he falters in the short he showed at Europeans that he could rise to the occasion in the long.

OK
    I don't think that Joubert has the consistency.
    I think it will be down to Chan and Takahashi again, but remember that Takahashi's 4CC FS had mistakes.
    I like Chan's program this year, and I'm really glad that she has two quads.
    Any news on whether Menshov will be trying to do the quad quad at worlds?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3GnlX4TlY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Any news on whether Menshov will be trying to do the quad quad at worlds?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3GnlX4TlY
    Probably not since he won't be there! Gachinski is the only Russian entry.

vCash
    I think that Chan is definitely the favourite and has the most momentum heading into Worlds. It's a deep field but Chan and Takahashi stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of having the complete package so I expect it to be a showdown between the two of them. Oda or Kozuka could upset if they bring their best to the table. Of course, under COP, anything can happen and it will be interesting to see if this "extended season" affects them when often skaters are looking to peak at the end of March.

I've been counting out Joubert for years now but he always comes through at Worlds and lands on the podium. Having said that, I will once again predict he will not make the podium.

OK

vCash
    Unless Chan falls 5 times he will win. And even then only if Takahashi skates cleanly. No real interest in the mens event as the winner was determined this past summer. The other 3 disciplines should be very interesting.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Unless Chan falls 5 times he will win. And even then only if Takahashi skates cleanly. No real interest in the mens event as the winner was determined this past summer.
    I'm not convinced of that. There was a lot of heat over the fact that Chan was able to fall so much and still win events. Yes, I get how the numbers work, blah blah blah. But I'm not convinced TPTB would let that happen so readily again.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Patrick Chan is definitely a skater's skater. The best male skater, probably in the history of the sport. His performance at nationals was nothing less than brilliant. If he is able to give a strong performance at the world championships, he will be on the top of the podium. No doubt. ok

vCash
    If Chan performs like he did at Canadians, he'll win. He is the front runner; I expect a showdown between him and Takahashi. However if Patrick is not clean, and especially if he has multiple mistakes, I hope the difference in PCS alone does not let him win over other skaters with excellent skating skills ( Takahashi, Kozuka, Verner...) if they go clean with a difficult jumping content. Short program will be crucial- anybody who wants a chance to beat Patrick has to go clean, or he'll run away with it. OK.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    While I'm willing to appreciate his skating skills, his performances, even at Canadian Nationals this year, did nothing for me. I didn't feel warm and fuzzy at all during his skates, he left me ice cold. He's boring and definitely lacks charisma, IMO.

But yeah, looks like he's gonna be the next World Champion, but because of the reasons above I don't like the thought.
    Last edited by Fliple Trip; 04-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    1. Chan-probably the one to beat. Excellent technician, but skates without heart, soul, or artistry. A product of the current scoring system. I admire his technique and results. He's one of those skaters I just don't enjoy watching. Too cold. Unlikable. (even though his current team manages his ego and mouth better-the distaste from his earlier statements is there.)

2. Takahashi has it all-technique plus the heart and soul. Always worth watching.

3. Verner or Kozuka. Both worthy skaters.
    Last edited by centerpt1; 04-24-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: tense

vCash
    I want to wish Joubert good luck. It would be nice for him just to be on the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    It may seem like this event is Chan vs. Takahashi, but I have a feeling Kozuka and Verner could be sleepers to watch here.
    ITA and I would also add Oda to this list. He and Kozuka have both beaten Daisuke twice this season. Even though they haven't had as much success in major international competitions as Daisuke, I wouldn't consider it a long shot for one of them to step up and take it.

It seems likely that the podium will be a combination of Chan and the Japanese men, but I have a feeling we might be surprised. After all, who would have expected Alissa to win the GPF and US Nationals, the US men's world team to be Dornbush, Miner, and Bradley, and Daisuke to get third at Japanese Nationals.

Whatever happens, it's certainly going to be an exciting competition.
    Last edited by RockTheTassel; 04-24-2011 at 10:46 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't Chan supposed to win Olympic gold 2010 and didn't?
    I see several that can win this comp and are at the level of Chan..All the Japanese men,Verner at his best + others.Besides I would love Plushenko to come back.Just saw him in a show and was very impressed and I am a Yagudin fan ...

Banned Member
    vCash
    No he wasn`t he was injured last year did not have the quad yet, as much as the chan haters refuse to admit this guy will take over men`s figure skating just like Yuna did for the woman all the way to sochi.

vCash
    Chan not having a quad was not a factor in him not winning a medal in 2010 it was that he was just not at his best at all! Now he is very close to his best but now his best includes a quad. Obviously Chan at 2009 4CC or 2009 worlds would have been closer to winning a medal at the 2010 olympics than the recovering from injury CHan that did show up at the Olympics. But now Chan is fine physically and coach wise and has been more reliable on jumps than in the past and if in the past his falling on a 3a damaged him now he has a jump worth more and it turns out he can do a quad great.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast