Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I imagine the ONLY reason we will see Joubert back next season is to end his career with Worlds at home. I dont think for one second he is seriously considering going to 2014 at this point, he clearly isnt a contender anymore.
    Maybe if he reintroduced transitions into his programs, he'd still be a contender. And he still managed to medal at Euros so, idk, staying on until 2014 doesn't sound that far fetched or a bad idea. He might want to actually go to an Olympics and not feck up like he did the last two times.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Oda is the true bronze medalist, except he can't count

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver98 View Post
    Well i said Chan was gonna win easily and i was right he just has to work on getting a more consistent triple axel and he will be even more unbeatable, anyway i hope this stops any grandiose plushenko comeback for sochi, but knowing plushy`s ego it probably didn`t
    IMO it'll have the opposite effect; Plushy probably wants to come back more than ever now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Oda is the true bronze medalist, except he can't count
    Oda would have been a 2 time world bronze medalist (2006 and 2011), 2 time Japanese Champion (2006 and 2008) and 2 time Winter Olympian (2006 and 2010) if he could count. (He also miscounted at another Worlds - 2007? but it didn't affect his standings IIRC)

I was just thinking during the short program that he finally learned some COP by tagging a 3toe after the 3lutz after falling on the quad. He was smarter than Joubert at least. Alas... he was born to skate, not think while doing so.
    Last edited by Marco; 04-29-2011 at 07:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Maybe if he reintroduced transitions into his programs, he'd still be a contender. And he still managed to medal at Euros so, idk, staying on until 2014 doesn't sound that far fetched or a bad idea. He might want to actually go to an Olympics and not feck up like he did the last two times.
    Considering most of the Worlds best men are from outside Europe I wouldnt say a medal at Europeans marks you as being still one of the elite contenders at the World level. I think his showing at this years Worlds is reflective of where Joubert now resides at the World level. And he actually skated very well in his long program while nearly everyone else fecked up bigtime and he still barely came 4th in the long program. Of course overall he was 8th and most of the guys who beat him had more mistakes over the 2 programs than he did. Even more significantly even guys like Amodio and Gachinski are even beating him on PCS now.

Where is he now? He isnt one of the few who can even think of competing with Chan now, no way, Chan has about a 10 fall cushion on him. The Japanese men all have to make alot of errors to possibly lose to him even skating great. Amodio can be expected to beat him most of the time now, as well as a healthy Brezina, Verner the times he doesnt self destruct badly will beat him as well. And he is only getting older from here with another 3 years to Sochi.

Yeah if he improved his transitions, spins, and choreography a whole lot, and starts doing a much harder jump layout, he could be a contender again possibly, but good luck doing that at this stage of his career.

Like I said I expect him to say on for next year only since Worlds are in France. If he stays beyond that I will be stunned though.

vCash
    I am starting to think that Oda is really bad at math. I don't know how he manage to get into college!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    IMO it'll have the opposite effect; Plushy probably wants to come back more than ever now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    IF figure skating is a religion, then Patrick Chan is God.
    Awww, don't you know?
    This place is already taken, for more than ten years now!

vCash
    Man up? Who will Chan Up!

(Chan up Chan up!)
    Oh jump and show your power
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    We're spinning into the sun
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    It's time for celebration
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    Patrick's time has come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Man up? Who will Chan Up!

(Chan up Chan up!)
    Oh jump and show your power
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    We're spinning into the sun
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    It's time for celebration
    (Chan up Chan up!)
    Patrick's time has come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Oda would have been a 2 time world bronze medalist (2006 and 2011), 2 time Japanese Champion (2006 and 2008) and 2 time Winter Olympian (2006 and 2010) if he could count. (He also miscounted at another Worlds - 2007? but it didn't affect his standings IIRC)
    OMG I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was this bad. So what is the deal? Seriously. If I was his coach I don't know what I would do with him to drill this into his head. Certainly they must have tried. It's a shame, actually it's sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

I agree with this: for the first time since Yagudin retired, Plushy will have an actual opponent, an actual proper opponent. Someone almost worthy of fighting. Not only will he get excited, but he'll start inventing things to get ahead. Like the quad lutz, quad loop, 3A-4T...

Assuming Chan doesn't resume normal Zamboni service...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I agree with this: for the first time since Yagudin retired, Plushy will have an actual opponent, an actual proper opponent. Someone almost worthy of fighting. Not only will he get excited, but he'll start inventing things to get ahead. Like the quad lutz, quad loop, 3A-4T...

Assuming Chan doesn't resume normal Zamboni service...
    Still sour about skate canada are you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I didn't watch Chan today - I can't stand those music cuts, thank god he's retiring POTO - but having seen Kozuka skate, I can't fathom how he could be so far behind on PCS. At least he was first on TES... I guess the medalists all rose to the challenge, but I would have preferred a different podium.
    Kozuka is still looking down at the ice every time he goes into a jump. This denotes a lack of confidence and is the reason his PCS is substantially lower than Chan's. This is a huge improvement since in past seasons, Takhiko looked down at the ice all of the time. This year he's looking up into the audience more and his PCS has risen accordingly.

I know this sounds like a little thing, but coaches will tell you it's huge. Looking at the ice denotes a lack of confidence and weak skating skills. It's what has held Kozuka down in the past, despite his buttery smooth edges and gorgeous jumps.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sliver98 View Post
    Still sour about skate canada are you
    I can't wait to see a Plushenko Chan skate-off.... no doubt in my mind who is superior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    I can't wait to see a Plushenko Chan skate-off.... no doubt in my mind who is superior.
    None in mine either but I do wonder if we both think it's the same skater
    Crazy about sports!

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I know this sounds like a little thing, but coaches will tell you it's huge. Looking at the ice denotes a lack of confidence and weak skating skills. It's what has held Kozuka down in the past, despite his buttery smooth edges and gorgeous jumps.
    The first time I saw him skate live, I kept muttering, "Pick your head up." Attitude and posture means a lot.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Kozuka is still looking down at the ice every time he goes into a jump. This denotes a lack of confidence and is the reason his PCS is substantially lower than Chan's. This is a huge improvement since in past seasons, Takhiko looked down at the ice all of the time. This year he's looking up into the audience more and his PCS has risen accordingly.

Keeping your head down shows weak skating skills? It might show lack of confidence, you can argue that it should affect the P&E mark, but what in the world does it have to do with skating skills? It's not one of the bullet points, that's for sure.

Anyway, John Kerr is on my side. Okay, so "my side" might be stretching it a bit. But I bet John has seen both of them skate live more often than we have, and he does know quite a bit about skating. So I win.

vCash
    I am confused. Since when keeping your head down=substantial lower PCS???? Can someone point me to the rule?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    IF figure skating is a religion, then Patrick Chan is God.
    But only among the culturally illiterate, as we have duly been informed.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast