Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

ABC's Annual "The Ten Commandments" Broadcast Is On!

For those who like bombastic, historically inaccurate epics with bad acting and dialogue, this is for you.

I watch it almost every year....just to hear Debra Paget sing "Death Cometh to Me..."

vCash
    Oh wow, when my mom was alive, she never missed this! I used to watch parts of it with her, but it seemed so long. I always fell asleep before the giving of the 10 Commandments. Awww, I'd forgotten about those memories! Thanks Rex for reminding me.

vCash
    One of my grandmom's annual favorites. Right up there with Sound of Music.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash

Bombastic and inaccurate it may be, but watching TTC every Passover is tradition in our family .
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Bombastic and inaccurate it may be, but watching TTC every Passover is tradition in our family .
    yul brynner and charlton heston (before he found out who his birth mother was) were really hot, i dont care how silly the parting of the red sea scene is
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Charlton Heston and an impressive chest, I'll say that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Charlton Heston and an impressive chest, I'll say that much.
    Agree. (When the Apes in Planet of the Apes had him in chain and stripped him off his clothings .... )

I used to watch bits and pieces of TC whenever it came on but could never stay awake long enough to see Moses receive the Ten Commandments.

vCash
    I was a teenager when I went to see this movie (for the first time) in a Movie Theater in Israel.
    It was in the mid 70's, so no wonder that my impression was "wow". The actors looked so hot, and the story... well, I - obviously - love the story of Exodus.
    I still remember how back then the entire audience was clapping for the parting of the Red Sea.
    Now, I teach the first graders about Passover, and they learn how to read in the Haggadah the four questions in Hebrew, but I think they (the first graders) prefer to watch the Rugrat's version of Exodus.

vCash
    Ben Hur was on last night.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    We are watching it… :=)

a) We are all laughing that Brynner is actually part jewish and Heston is a goy…. .

b) I will always watch it…. I love the part when Moses chooses to stay a Jew rather than a Egyptian. Intuitively I did the same when I was 7 years old, back in Russia. My name is typical Russian not Jewish, and on the first day of school our new teacher took a role-call of students from the Student School register.

The register listed a name, an address, and “nationality” section (Russian, Georgian, Kazakh, Jewish, Latvian, etc) and each student when called had to verify the address and nationality. When the teacher called my name, and at the end stated “Tinami” – Russian, I jumped up and said “no, not Russian, but Jewish”. After all …why would any normal pragmatic kid would choose to belong to the tribe of “drunks and factory workers”, when in this kid’s surroundings the “other kind” are all engineers, doctors, scientists…. . Darn…. I am nothing less than Jewish even if I am only ¾ Jewish….

c) In this day and age … the hell will freeze over if some-one makes an epic movie about “Grate Jews”…… So I am watching the same old 10-coms year after year….. that and Exodus….. Few decades ago it was not politically incorrect to show Jews in good light”…

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    It had been so many years since I've seen this (and poor remembering skills from religion class don't help me ), explain the relations to me. And forgive the poor spelling please.

So Bethia is Moses adopted mother (she pulled him from the river and raised him). Correct?

Bethia is the King's (uhm, the bald guy, 'not' Yule Brenner) sister. Correct?

Nefarteri is the King's daughter. Correct?

Why does Moses refer to the King as his "father"? Just that he was raised by him with Bethia?

How does Ramses fit into this? He refered to the King as his father? And Moses as his brother? But wouldn't that make him and Nefarteri brother/sister? And Moses/Nefarteri are cousins (although not by blood since Bethia was not his real mother)?

Am I way to concerned about any of this? But really ... I wanna know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    It had been so many years since I've seen this (and poor remembering skills from religion class don't help me ), explain the relations to me. And forgive the poor spelling please.

So Bethia is Moses adopted mother (she pulled him from the river and raised him). Correct? YES

Bethia is the King's (uhm, the bald guy, 'not' Yule Brenner) sister. Correct? YES

Nefarteri is the King's daughter. Correct? NO - SHE IS DAUGHTER OF SOME NOBLE MAN, i think.... That's why Brynner (who is King's natural son) wants to marry her.

Why does Moses refer to the King as his "father"? Just that he was raised by him with Bethia? - Because he was like a father to him, he knew no other. King helped Bethia to raise him.

How does Ramses fit into this? He refered to the King as his father? And Moses as his brother? But wouldn't that make him and Nefarteri brother/sister? And Moses/Nefarteri are cousins (although not by blood since Bethia was not his real mother)?

King is king.
    Ramses is his natural son.
    Nefarteri is daughter of a nobleman
    Bethia is King's sister

Am I way to concerned about any of this? But really ... I wanna know.
    I hope I am right.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    do'op. I get it now. I always thought Nefateri was the King's daugther! Now it all makes sense to me!

vCash
    Still love this movie. I'm so glad it's on later during the week of Passover. There were a few years when ABC showed it either on the first or second Seder night.

vCash
    Rex, I have a new favorite moment - Bithia's handmaids at the water's edge. Those costumes! Essentially pure 50s form-fitting bathing suits with a little draping to make them into handmaid attire. From now on whenever I see that scene all I am going to see is white 50s bathing suits.

Still love Nina Foch though.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    When I first saw TTC as a little girl, I was traumatized by the Angel of Death coming across the sky and around the town like a green skeleton hand-or so it seemed at the time. Scared me to death. I think I was 7. I also got a terrible earache because the sound was too loud, and I had chronic earaches all year.

But the movie is definitely worth watching.

vCash
    I actually have a relative in this movie, appropriately from my paternal grandfather's side of the family (they are all Sephardic Jews). My father used to watch this movie every single year (and more once he got it on VHS/DVD) because he was trying to track down this relative in the actual film footage, because it isn't a large part, although he is listed in the credits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Rex, I have a new favorite moment - Bithia's handmaids at the water's edge. Those costumes! Essentially pure 50s form-fitting bathing suits with a little draping to make them into handmaid attire. From now on whenever I see that scene all I am going to see is white 50s bathing suits.

Still love Nina Foch though.
    LOL, it looked like they could do double duty in an Esther Williams musical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    do'op. I get it now. I always thought Nefateri was the King's daugther! Now it all makes sense to me!

Considering Egyptian kings often married their sisters, I thought the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    LOL, it looked like they could do double duty in an Esther Williams musical.
    I know; I kept waiting for the aquacade to swim up the Nile.

Joking aside, I can't stop myself from watching this whenever it's on. I do wish they hadn't chopped it up so badly with so many commercials and shortened scenes. Luckily I had DVRed it and was able to retain some sense of continuity and power by fast-forwarding through the ads. I swear there were more ads than movies and the overall viewing experience was lacking in the effect it should have had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast