vCash

2011 CSOI Reviews/Vids

images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Wheeeeeee! Indeed!

Thanks for posting.

vCash
    Did anyone else think that Sasha Cohen was injured, I only saw 2 jumps and one of those was a double Sal
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    Sasha did only two jumps, no triples at SOI in NJ.

vCash
    Review of the Halifax show from the Chronicle Herald: Simpler show let skating shine

vCash
    Thanks everyone for review + videos! I can't see the show this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    Did anyone else think that Sasha Cohen was injured, I only saw 2 jumps and one of those was a double Sal
    There was definitely something off for her. I noticed it too...but I wasn't sure if it was injury or fatigue. She was definitely tentative.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    It's probably good that Sasha didn't try to jump no use seeing her land on her butt like when she was skating as a amateur.

vCash
    Maybe Sasha is a bit tired since she was also in the American Tour beforehand? Who knows. She's a pro at performing so I assume she will get better.

Question: How were Shawn Sawyer's programs and his skating?I couldn't afford to go to the show this year so I must ask. I know he is not a headliner or anything and has had jump issues in the past. And I find myself wanting him to just take his competitive programs to show skating since they seem to obviously be head and shoulders above his exhibition skating. While his SOI programs are probably fun, they seem very gimmicky and don't showcase the amazing talent and connecting to the audience that he had in competitive skating.

I appreciate those who posted the videos and reviews on this thread. Thanks a bunch!

vCash
    Jeff Buttle

Evan Lysacek

I'm also interesred in your opinions on Shawn. Did he skate his Madhatter program as the second number?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Shawn did not do his Mad Hatter program but, at least in Ottawa, before his first program he got a special introduction by Kurt Browning who mentioned his "once in a lifetime" skate at Canadians and the decision he had to make regarding the tour vs Worlds. Kurt said that he was glad that the artist in Shawn won out and he came on the tour.

He skated both programs very well, connecting well with the audience. He also fit in very well in the group numbers.

Sasha skated well and was very well received by the audience. There were two falls in the entire show - both by Jeff Buttle, one in each of his programs.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Not a review, but CSOI relevant? They're doing autograph signings at Sears stores across Canada again this year. Not every city is getting one, but these are the ones I've been able to gather from the Sears Stars on Ice Facebook page. They haven't been very forthcoming about who will be in which city yet,but they did say Kurt will be in Calgary:

* Ottawa: Sat. April 23, 11AM-12PM, Sears in the Rideau Centre (Jeff Buttle, Tanith Belbin, Ben Agosto)
    * Toronto: Thu. April 28, 12-1PM, Sears in the Eaton Centre
    * Calgary: Mon. May 9, 10-10:45AM, Sears in the South Centre (Kurt Browning, TBA)
    * Victoria: Tue. May 10, 11AM-12PM, Sears Department store at 3190 Shelbourne
    * Vancouver: Thu. May 12, 12-1PM, Sears in the Pacific Centre

vCash
    Photos from the Ottawa autograph signing & Joannie's Birks appearance: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawaa...th/5651678932/

Stunning photo of Jo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottawaa...57626570202108

vCash
    ^ Beautiful. Thanks!

vCash
    Shawn's first number was a slow, cover version of Britney Spears new song "Hold it Against Me." I thought it was FABULOUS. I always enjoy his show skating. His second was "Working for the Weekend" (see video above.)

He got the special intro in Halifax as well.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash

vCash
    Guys, thanks a bunch for all the tidbits on the show. Judging from the videos, it really looks like the show is good this year. Joannie's Burlesque rocks!

Thanks for the tidbit on Shawn's Hold it against me program, skategal. I really wish there was a video on that. I'd love to see it. Questions: What did he wear? Was there any shirt tearing a la last year's Uprising program? I just had to ask. lol.

P.S.: Thanks for adding that Kurt introduced Sawyer in both Ottawa and Halifax, skategal and victorskid. I may be getting ahead of myself here as the future of CSOI and especially Sawyer's participation in it is uncertain, but to me it almost sounded like a symbolic "passing of the torch" to someone that's (hopefully) really starting his pro skating carrer now. Not that I'm implying that Kurt is hanging up his skates anytime soon. I still think he has many more years left in him.
    Last edited by oakl0008; 04-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.

vCash
    I love Shawn Sawyer's skating but I don't think he has the public appeal to "take the torch" and be the headliner of the show. Although, every year I go with the thought that it might be the last year for Kurt.

Why no autograph signing in Winnipeg? So frustrating... we are not included every year!

vCash
    I hope they keep Shawn on the tour permanently. He's too good for cruise ship skating and stuff like that.

vCash
    Review of the Windsor show: Cohen connects with crowd at Stars on Ice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast