Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    why do we care if they're accumulating debt turning their kid into a materialistic diva?
    If they are, that makes the situation even worse IMHO.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Why is it important to pass judgment on people we don't know based on a mediated account of a small amount of their behavior presented in the media?

(That question can apply to a large number of threads in this area of the board, not to mention all the skater interview threads.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Why is it important to pass judgment on people we don't know based on a mediated account of a small amount of their behavior presented in the media?

(That question can apply to a large number of threads in this area of the board, not to mention all the skater interview threads.)
    Well, if we all took that attitude, the board would die, now wouldn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    How do we know they have the money? They claim they can afford it. But lots of people think they can afford that amount/$$$ of stuff and it's only because they're ignoring the mountain of debt that they're piling up.
    I can just as easily say "what makes you think they don't have the money".

Can go back and forth forever on this one. It's pointless too.

vCash
    I would be worn out helping her change clothes 10 - 15 times a day.

If she gets 9-10 hours of night sleep and a 60 minute afternoon nap, 30 minutes to eat meals (which would be a rush time), 20 minute bath, 10 minute misc stuff (like going to the bathroom), that leaves ~ 12 hours for dress up play? for 15 outfit changes a day? It is not the expensive of the wardrobe that concerns me, it is the lack or other activities.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I'm sure this is how my shopaholic aunt's daughter would have ended up. Luckily she got two boys and my tomboy mom got the two girls.

Nearly 10 years ago, when my family helped my aunt sort out all of her shoes, she had more than 450 pairs. I'm a little afraid of how many she might have now.

vCash
    Maybe the child will grow up to be a great designer, fashion merchandiser, or Joan Rivers, so thousands of dollars spent on wardrobe now might turn out to be a wise investment.

This reminds me of the time a few of my family members and friends all worked in fashion and I kept getting free designer stuffs. I never even get to try on half of those, so I'm totally at loss how anyone can actually pay their own bucks for that much stuff, but each to his own.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Pffft. 30 pairs of shoes. Big deal.

Why don't you have a mini-giraffe, little girl? Huh???? Tell mommy you want a mini-giraffe and you want it NOW.
    That's right. Opulence, you don't has it.

But to be honest, in Mini Ice's preschool little girls wear those pink poofy sparkly princess dresses all day every day. It seems to be the trend. Not sure how many pairs of shoes they own.

Also, I recall being about 5 and having very strong opinions about what I want and don't want to wear. Of course, in the FSU fashion choices for kids and adults were limited but I did have the coolest pair of platforms.

Mini Ice does express a preference occasionally but it seems to revolve around wanting to wear his favorite team's jersey (Go Sharks!) or something involving Superman or Spiderman or whatever super hero he is into at the moment.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My question is, why doesn't the parent buy used? They already sell, so if they buy as well, they can indulge their daughter's fashion taste while not breaking the bank. It's even an opportunity to spin it into a teaching lesson about sharing and recycling.

Plus, didn't anyone tell the girl that vintage is trendy?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Thank gOodness I have boys.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Thank gOodness I have boys.
    You make up for it in the food budget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    You make up for it in the food budget.
    Not necessarily. I eat WAY more than my older brother does/ever did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by personwhoishere View Post
    Not necessarily. I eat WAY more than my older brother does/ever did.
    Yeah some guys are weird. I eat more than my bf. However, my cousins eat about 5x more than my sister and I.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

Um, this is general forum in a discussion board. We discuss everything from colon cancer to the latest movies to Mrs. Duggar's 19th child here. So obviously those of us who participate on this - and other - forums have an interest in odd and unusual stories. And will make judgements on them, and a about judgments in the course of discussing.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Tell mommy you want a mini-giraffe and you want it NOW.
    The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was "Veruka Salt!!"

vCash
    There's plenty to discuss about most topics, including children who obsessed with fashion, without jumping to conclusions in order to pass judgment.

Just the other day I was at a seder with a 14-year-old girl visitor, and 11-year-old girl, and a 9-year-old boy. After the meal, they went off to the girl's room and periodically came out to show off their wacky outfits to the adults. You might think these kids are a little old to be playing dressup, but evidently it's fun for them.

Starting when the older girl was a preschooler, her mother developed a tradition of buying many nice clothes for her as a way to tempt her into wearing clothes at all at a time when the kid would just as soon be naked in public. I expect that mother spent at least as much per year on clothing for her daughter as the mom in this article. I'm not sure how much the daughter cared, although she was able to dress well.

Part of that tradition involved giving the outgrown clothes to the younger girl in the other family. So said younger girl also had a larger- and nicer-than-average wardrobe, between the hand-me-downs she got from the family friend, gifts from generous grandparents, and all the everyday stuff her parents bought for her.

This kid has always been interested in fashion. As a 1-year-old, still wearing her first pair of shoes, she was taken to a children's department in department store, saw a display of toddler shoes, and immediately ran over, removed her own shoes, and started trying on the store shoes.

As a preschooler she would often play by changing clothes, asking "Do you like me?" (meaning do you like my outfit, but we would often point out that we always liked her before commenting on the outfit one way or another), and then going back into her room and changing to another outfit to repeat the process. This was play and could often result in changing clothes 10-15 times in a day, most of those times within the space of half an hour.

And yes, she had some cheap fantasy shoes that became part of her dress-up clothes collection for play as well as her everyday shoes and sneakers, snow boots, slippers, and dance- or sport-specific footwear. Maybe not 30 pairs, but probably more than 10 at a time.

Between wearing different clothes for sleeping, sports, school, more formal family meals, etc., it's not unusual for kids or adults who are not "fashionistas" to change clothes three, four, five times a day. So for those who are, a few more changes would not be especially remarkable. And then if you add in periods of dress-up play,

I can't tell from the article how much of this kid's fashion activities are just age-appropriate play, or pathological obsession, or spoiled brat entitlement, or healthy creative interest indicative of a special talent that will serve her well in developing a fashion-related career as an adult. I don't know what details the author of the article left out or overemphasized, either to shape a point or by default.

What's the value in me guessing which of the above is true and pronouncing that this kid and her mother are either Good or Bad based on this one article? There's plenty to discuss about kids' interests in fashion, inspired by this article, without rushing to make that guess and that pronouncement.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Don't see a problem.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Don't see a problem.
    No, you wouldn't.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    We don’t know enough about the situation…. From what is written, 30 pairs of shoes and all the rest is not that “healthy” (unless she is Shirley Temple or a child entertainer/dancer….

If kids dress up for play, creativity and self-expression – that is a good thing.

If they are aware of and concerned with “latest fashion”, “labels”, “price tag” – that’s too early and parents who indulge a child are sending several wrong messages to the child.

I am not in favor of parents who are GIVING kids luxury or extra items outside of basic needs.

I am in favor of parents who are making kids EARN extra and luxury items by means appropriate to their age:

- “you want new shoes with sparkles? – then get out a jar of shoe polish and polish your grand-father’s work shoes”.
    - “you want a new coat?” – the go get a needle and saw on buttons which came of parents’ coats. “you don’t know how to saw”? – I‘ll show you how…..
    etc….

30 shoes for no reason is not right….. 30 shoes, each earned as a result of a task and/or learning something new – no problem……. 30 shoes alone and high interest in fashion is not enough to determine if child/parent has a problem...

Here is a thought...... In "My Vie En Rose" a little boy was a super-fashionista, constantly dressing up..... Yet the subject was presented very positively in a frame of "gender identity and acceptance of the uncommon".

Who are we to say that this girl is not the next Coco Chanel?
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 04-23-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was "Veruka Salt!!"
    "I WANT IT ALLLLLLLLL!!!"
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast