Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Budapest Prague travel suggestions

I will be on a Danube River tour in June. We start in Budapest and end in Prague, with visits to Vienna, etc along the way.
    I know we will have coach tours, at least, to show us the highlights. I would welcome "Must See" suggestions for those cities.
    Thanks a lot.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Oh I love Vienna. I only had 3 or 4 days, but I saw an opera at the State Opera, visited the Kunsthistorisches museum which is a must see, saw the jewels at the Treasury (name escapes me), took a tour at Schoenbrunn, went to St. Stephens and St. Charles. There was a winterfest at the Rathaus so we spent time there watching people skate and curl (and drinking warm alcoholic punches that were fab), don't know about summer events in the parks in town. Castle Belvedere was closed, but we went to the grounds. There was a Schiele exhibit at the Albertina so we saw that. And just walked walked walked, it is so beautiful.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Spend as much time as you can walking around, especially in the hilly part of Buda and the older districts of Prague such as Malá Strana, Staré Město, and Josefov. No first visit to Prague would be complete without going to the Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, and Staroměstské Náměstí (Old Town Square).

vCash
    Oooh - Lucky ducky! Have a great time, and do share your travel stories when you get back!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I loved Prague. Go to the old Jewish cemetary. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

vCash
    I LOVE Prague. Besides those mentioned by Vagabond there's also the Palace of Culture/City hall building/Museum Obecni Dum which has some great decoration inside. There's also a coffee place near which is all early XX I'm a big sucker for Art Nouveau.
    Budapest is pretty but I was not that impressed with the people But the Castle is great and an evening boat trip would be cool. Oktagon apparently is the IN quarter and for some reason they still play Haddaway or Snap hard in Budapest.

vCash
    There have been several previous threads with travel advice for Prague, Vienna, and Budapest, if you do a search you'll find lots of good information. It's a beautiful part of the world and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

vCash
    This is such a touristy thing to do, but in Budapest there is this coffee house called Gerbeaud. I would recommend it just to experience the beauty of Old World Europe or Austro-Hungarian grandeur. I loved it because I love novels set in Europe just before the war or during the war and the characters always seem to meet at places such as this.
    They have a famous seven-layer chocolate cake. I didn't think it was that great, but I am not a chocolate lover, but I did get a lot of other yummy pastries to go.

vCash
    Prague is my favorite of those three cities. I loved the Charles Bridge and surrounding area in Prague. And I wouldn't miss the Jewish ghetto, including the cemetary.

vCash
    Here are links to some of the other threads I mentioned:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=Prague

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=prague+travel

I second the recommendation for visiting Cafe Gerbeaud in Budapest - beautiful location and great for people-watching - and I don't think you can stop in Vienna without having a coffee at Hotel Sacher.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I love, love, love Vienna. If you like cemetaries you HAVE to check out Zentralfriedhof Wien. It is the second largest cemetary in Europe and has many, many famous Austrians buried (or just their monuments) there. For me I loved seeing the huge gravestones of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, the Strausses, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralfriedhof

The Hofburg winter palace is amazing!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofburg_Palace

The interior of many of the churches is spectacular with my favourite and the most impressive to me being Peterskirche
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Pet...Church,_Vienna

Just to relax and walk around I enjoyed the Stadtpark
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtpark,_Vienna

Great views from the Donauturm.. it's a bit like the CN tower in Toronto
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donauturm

I also enjoyed just walking around town. Beautiful for sure

I found the subway system easy to take and quick

so jealous, Vienna is my favourite place I have been to
    Last edited by Mozart; 04-22-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I just wonder how you get the Danube to Prague

vCash
    They play The Moldau over the loudspeakers on the riverboat, serve up some koláče, and sure enough, you are in Prague.

vCash
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I will certainly make notes to take with me. Coffee shop recommendations are particularly welcome, LOL!

Jenya, thanks for the links. I will follow up.

Titanilla, you are right! I wondered if I should add a bit of an explanation, but didn't to keep my request short. Our cruise ends in Nuremburg and we will be taken by coach to Prague. That city is on Mr JB's bucket list, so we are really looking forward to it.

Sorry to say that since we are both in our late 60s we are taking this bucket list thing seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Budapest is pretty but I was not that impressed with the people
    Mi a baj?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbanet View Post
    Mi a baj?!
    Well in 3 days there I got yelled by some underground controller guy, like literally yelled after while he was approaching me and my friend in a very menacing way. We think he wanted to let us know the train wouldn't depart! Then the waiter at the Oktogon pulled the table right under us because 11 pm was approaching and it wasn't permitted to drink in the street by that time, always yelling. Now I'm comfortable with yelling as a normal way of communication but when it's in an unknown language it's just scary.. Then a guy in the night bus we took to get home got out of it by jumping from the window. This after he'd vomited while in the bus. And I won't mention the pizza with vegetables and sour cream I had which made me seriously think to give up on food forever But, the architecture of the city is to die for and you a very nice FSUer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Well in 3 days there I got yelled by some underground controller guy, like literally yelled after while he was approaching me and my friend in a very menacing way. We think he wanted to let us know the train wouldn't depart! Then the waiter at the Oktogon pulled the table right under us because 11 pm was approaching and it wasn't permitted to drink in the street by that time, always yelling. Now I'm comfortable with yelling as a normal way of communication but when it's in an unknown language it's just scary.. Then a guy in the night bus we took to get home got out of it by jumping from the window. This after he'd vomited while in the bus. And I won't mention the pizza with vegetables and sour cream I had which made me seriously think to give up on food forever But, the architecture of the city is to die for and you a very nice FSUer!
    We were visiting some friends in Tata who ordered some take-out pizza after a day of sightseeing and lunch earlier. We didn't understand why they were offering us ketchup and giving us puzzled looks when declined until we realized when we started eating that the pizza was basically a cracker, cheese and salami! It wasn't even like what we know as a white pizza. The curry ketchup is the best in Hungary!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenya271 View Post
    We were visiting some friends in Tata who ordered some take-out pizza after a day of sightseeing and lunch earlier. We didn't understand why they were offering us ketchup and giving us puzzled looks when declined until we realized when we started eating that the pizza was basically a cracker, cheese and salami! It wasn't even like what we know as a white pizza. The curry ketchup is the best in Hungary!
    At least you're given the silence treatment
    The infamous pizza I had was in the Pest side, in Kerepesi Uca and supposedly it was the best I could get in Budapest. Never trust an Albanian student in Budapest when it comes to Italian food
    They also served mainly Hungarian wine, proudly so I was very much into wine at the time but that occasion made me decide to eat and drink just local stuff in any foreign country I visited, so to spare myself any indigestion, at best.
    Last edited by mila19; 04-23-2011 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    Why would you eat pizza in Budapest when Hungary has such good local dishes?

vCash
    Um because if you go to visit a friend who's been living there for 7 months you think she knows the right places.
    I'm not much into gulash(sp?) or meat in general, so food wise it was a trip to forget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast