Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash

Ghosts of Usenet Past

The various help functions for Google groups are proving to be useless, so I thought I'd tap the collective knowledge bank of FSU.

A long time ago, during my late teens and early 20's, I posted some stuff on Usenet using my real name. We'll blame it on me being young and stupid. Most of it is fine, but there are a few things-- particularly one set of posts in one thread--that I'd like zapped.

At one point, you could delete your own posts even if you didn't have access to the account used to make the post anymore. I can't find that option anymore and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it. I know it's just one archive and they could pop up again somewhere else at some other time, but I'd still like to get as much of this deleted as possible.

If I can't get these messages deleted, I'm wondering if their existance would really be detrimental to my job search. It's not like I was talking about illegal or illicit activities. It's mainly an argument from a cooking newsgroup in which I appear very young, stupid, and judgemental--because I was those things back then. I just worry that people would hold it against me now for saying childish and dumb stuff when I was a kid. *sigh*

vCash
    I think that there are some companies out there that help remove stuff from the web for you for a fee; don't know how good they are on the old stuff -- the solution might be to work to get a whole lot more stuff (that you're happy with) on the web so that the stuff you're not happy about is buried back on page 6 or 7 of the search.

Mr. Barbk was contacted by a fan in the late '90s/early 2000s who wanted the latest release of a roleplaying game system accidentally (and without permission) incorporated in one of the early BSD Unix releases from the 70s, so stuff certainly has a permanence you would not expect.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Thanks! I'd heard about those companies, but I've been hesitant because of concerns ove costs and effectiveness.

Most of the stuff out there about me is really quite positive and relevant; my grad school publications and seminar, etc. It's just these one thing from when I was younger that are driving me nuts. I may be overthinking since it was really a mild argument by usenet standards...