• Yu Na Kim

143 63.27%
  • Yamaguchi

83 36.73%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maharbabackward View Post
    1992 is vastly different from 2010.
    Exactly. If Both of these women came up together in the ranks then maybe there would be some basis for comparison. Both skaters are products of the time.

vCash
    On speed and jump size alone, Kim. Yama might do many other things better, but she should never be able to close a gap that large.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Both are Olympic Champions. Both usually win but arent as popular with skating fans as their achrivals Midori Ito and Mao Asada. Both women shied away from the risk and reward of the triple axel their main rival(s) were doing. Both have their share of fans and detractors alike. Both are known for their consistent jumping and quiet elegance on the ice. Which do you consider the better skater- Kristi Yamaguchi or Yu Na Kim.
    I think YuNa has been more popular than Mao. I am not sure about Christi and Midori though.

vCash
    Both are Olympic Champions. Both usually win but arent as popular with skating fans as their achrivals Midori Ito and Mao Asada. Both women shied away from the risk and reward of the triple axel their main rival(s) were doing. Both have their share of fans and detractors alike. Both are known for their consistent jumping and quiet elegance on the ice. Which do you consider the better skater- Kristi Yamaguchi or Yu Na Kim.
    Have I misunderstood you? You think Yuna is less popular than Mao?

vCash
    I was never much of a fan of Midori Ito . I respected her technical prowess, but didn't see any real grace in her skating.

vCash
    You don't have to be graceful in figure skating to be fans favorites. Look at Katerina Witt.

Midori's bubbly personality on the ice was infectious. Coupled that with speed and power and you usually had a dynamic performance from her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You don't have to be graceful in figure skating to be fans favorites. Look at Katerina Witt.
    Yeah but that's because she's
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I was never much of a fan of Midori Ito . I respected her technical prowess, but didn't see any real grace in her skating.
    You are not the only one, and I share your opinion.
    And In Albertville, Alain Calmat said that Tonya Harding was more artistic than Midori Ito...lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And In Albertville, Alain Calmat said that Tonya Harding was more artistic than Midori Ito...lol
    I thought Midori's programs and music for Altbertville were crappy: the LP music was snoozy and the SP choreography was blah. I wish she had kept her Warsaw Concerto SP from 91 and maybe repeat her Schez LP from 90 or her 89 LP.

vCash
    I'm not a fan of either ladies. I find Kristi to be boring, while I can't get over Yuna's gross lack of polish. I love how many justify Yuna being a better skater than Kristi because she was "less error-prone"... Really guys? Yuna makes at least one or two mistakes in almost every long program she skates. You can argue Kristi does too, but in all honestly, she made most of her mistakes on the salchow. I'm sure it would be the same with Yuna if she did the loop in every single long program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    Have I misunderstood you? You think Yuna is less popular than Mao?
    I could be wrong on that of course but it seems alot of fans say things like "Yu Na is great but she is overscored" or "there are so many YuNa bots" (I am not saying I feel that way) while say things about Mao like "I just love her skating" or "she deserves more credit for those triple axels" etc...All 4 are very popular skaters though so it is splitting hairs. I think Kristi is very popular especialy being a mainstay on the U.S touring and competitive circuits for years, but Midori seems loved by virtually everyone.

BTW I think Kristi is the one with the edge in consistency over Yu Na so far, well maybe not overall but in big events for sure. Yu Na Kim has won only 1 World title which is amazing considering she has basically dominated womens skating for years. She could have won the last 4 Worlds really and made multiple major errors, not just 1, to lose each time.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-22-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Vacant
    vCash
    I think perceptions of popularity are very much dependant on what sites you hang out at Luckily FSU remains for the most part, a place where fans of ALL skaters and much more importantly, fans of skating can hang out.

I do agree that Midori has very few detractors amongst fans or indeed among her peers who all pretty much seemed to worship her. That's because she was a technical virtuoso the likes of which the sport had never seen and almost 20 years after her retirement, no one has really come close to matching her peerless achievements in revolutionising the sport. Plus she had charisma to burn when she was on. Electrifying doesn't even come close Even those commentators who revered artistry above all were dumbstruck by her skating.

ETA: Yes we did see one other such person I think; David Jenkins. He essentially taught himself a triple sal, loop, flip and axel in the 1950's when most top level men were still struggling with double axel. Sure Dick was great and an incredible innovator but when you see the ease and spring in Jenkins skating well, it's just on another level. Sorry to digress

vCash
    It was a tough choice, but I gave Kristi the edge for the fact that she actually performed/frequently went for ALL the triples save the axel even if her triple sal was inconsistent (instead of leaving the inconsistent jump out completely, the one major grumble I have with COP today). Also, I felt her lines, spirals were frankly superior to YuNa's.

This is a bit like comparing Gala Apples to McIntosh apples; technically, they are the same fruit, but are very different in taste, texture, etc. Both are brilliant skaters. Kristi is definitely a role model and did very well after her OGM, I hope the same will happen for YuNa as she continues in skating.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    floskate, arent you going to vote. I was looking forward to who you would choose.

vCash
    I could be wrong on that of course but it seems alot of fans say things like "Yu Na is great but she is overscored" or "there are so many YuNa bots" (I am not saying I feel that way) while say things about Mao like "I just love her skating" or "she deserves more credit for those triple axels" etc...All 4 are very popular skaters though so it is splitting hairs. I think Kristi is very popular especialy being a mainstay on the U.S touring and competitive circuits for years, but Midori seems loved by virtually everyone.

BTW I think Kristi is the one with the edge in consistency over Yu Na so far, well maybe not overall but in big events for sure. Yu Na Kim has won only 1 World title which is amazing considering she has basically dominated womens skating for years. She could have won the last 4 Worlds really and made multiple major errors, not just 1, to lose each time.
    I think only the last two Worlds were really hers to lose. 2007 and 2008 Worlds were a lot less clear cut. And I actually think Mao had the edge in 2007. In 2008, they were about even. Yuna made two major jump errors in 2008. While Mao also made two, because an UR is counted as a major error.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I think only the last two Worlds were really hers to lose. 2007 and 2008 Worlds were a lot less clear cut. And I actually think Mao had the edge in 2007. In 2008, they were about even. Yuna made two major jump errors in 2008. While Mao also made two, because an UR is counted as a major error.
    Well in 2007 they were hers to lose after the short program even if Mao came in as the favorite possibly. Mao was 10 points back and obviously no way Miki will ever beat a close to clean Yu Na. I did think in 2008 she was definitely the favorite. She had dominated the whole season leading up to Worlds. I can see what you mean about not knowing about a clean Mao vs a clean Yu Na in 2007 and 2008. I am meaning with how the competition played it itself out she was certain to win with everyone else skating as they did, so in that sense those were all Worlds hers to lose, not neccessarily considering if a certain someone else had all skated better hypothetically. Basically I am just evaluating Yu Na's consistency, not Mao's in this case, if you get what I mean.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-22-2011 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    I was always only luke warm to Kristi as a skater. Thought she was way over-hyped as "the artist" and/or "the total package". I thought Kristi was much more charming and expressive as a dancer on DWTS

I'm luke-warm to Yu-Na as a skater as well. I do admire her gorgeous jumps, and she definitely has the potential to be more expressive than what David Wilson has been giving her.

Vacant
    vCash
    floskate, arent you going to vote. I was looking forward to who you would choose.
    It's hard to decide when one is completely ambivalent about both

vCash
    NM Judy. Just saw your edit

Btw is Ito really more popular than Kristi? Because I hear Kristi's name mentioned far more often than I hear about Midori, but maybe it's just because I usually listen to North American commentators.
    Last edited by miki88; 04-22-2011 at 07:57 PM.

vCash
    Basic skating, edges and musicality - Kristi.
    Jumps and spins - Yu Na.
    It's a tie for me
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast