226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yu Na Kim

143 63.27%
  • Yamaguchi

83 36.73%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Ito skating her best would get 5.9s and 6.0s on technical scores, and 5.8s and 5.9s on artistic scores. That would definitely be enough to win, especialy with how Kristi skated in Albertville which wasnt great at all. Kristi has never beaten Ito in any event where she landed the triple axel and was in the top 3 after the SP.
    These are a lot of "ifs" and other assumptions. I think Yamaguchi's record against Ito *and* Harding speaks quite strongly enough for why she didn't need the triple axel.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I generally enjoy Kim's skating more, but I'd vote for Yamaguchi because:

- She was US national champion in both singles and pairs

- She could do figures (not great, but she could do them. She was probably too lightweight to ever be great at them but I'm sure she would have gotten better if she needed to)

- She had a very long distinguished pro-career (while Kim's career is still on....)

Basically, which is better, apples or oranges?

vCash

Kristi vs Yuna

I never found Kristi to be a dynamic nor emotional skater. Her artistry was evident, but it wasn't done with any panache. I always sat at the edge of my seat when Ito and even Harding skated. And, the speed of Yuna's triple lutz/triple toe was exiting. I never got excited watching Kristi as a competitive skater.

I never thought she should have won the short program against Harding in '91. Harding's jumps and spins were exceptional. To me, Kristi was more of a pretty and complete skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    These are a lot of "ifs" and other assumptions. I think Yamaguchi's record against Ito *and* Harding speaks quite strongly enough for why she didn't need the triple axel.
    LOL Yamaguchi has a losing career head to head with Ito, both in just amateur competition and combined amateur/pro competition. It is obvious the fact you actually started off saying Harding was the only one Kristi competed against who did the triple axel that you probably didnt even watch skating back then so really no point carrying this any further with you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    LOL Yamaguchi has a losing career head to head with Ito, both in just amateur competition and combined amateur/pro competition. It is obvious the fact you actually started off saying Harding was the only one Kristi competed against who did the triple axel that you probably didnt even watch skating back then so really no point carrying this any further with you.
    No, I didn't say that Harding was "the only one" that had a triple axel. I pointed out Harding as one example that clearly counteracts your theory of Yamaguchi shying away from the triple axel. And actually I did watch skating back then. I attended quite a few of the competitions with Yamaguchi, Ito and Harding in them, so I think I have a lot more experience to draw on regarding this issue than you obviously do. If you can't accept that your basic premise is flawed, so really no point carrying this any further with you
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Tonya Harding landed four triple axels in competition, all of them in a single year, and even then she didn't win every competition in which she landed the triple axel. And she was the only woman at that level doing the triple axel, so it's not like Kristi Yamaguchi was being pressured by a bunch of competitors with a jump she didn't have. Yamaguchi didn't "sh[y] away" from doing the triple axel, because there was no reason for her to do it, and no reward in doing so. She could win very consistently without it.
    You did say she was the only one.

vCash
    I don't think we can really judge yet since Yuna's career isn't over. When Kristi was Yuna's age, she hadn't won the Olympics or her second World title. Since Yuna is only twenty and still competing, I think she has the potential for many more improvements and accomplishments.

At this point, it's kind of a toss up. I think Yuna is a better singles skater overall, but Kristi managing to achieve so much in both singles and pairs is quite impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nanigirl View Post
    You did say she was the only one.
    Ooops. Watch overedge hide away now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    YuNa is definitely a better technician skater. Kristi has better lines, emotion...

Yu na does not have lines but she has great artistry and interpretation of music. Kristi developed a lot after turning pro, but if you compare the two when each won the OGM, Yu na is the better skater at her OGM than Kristi was at hers.

vCash
    Interestingly, both had a 3z-3t and were missing an edge jump to varying degrees: Kristi- 3sal, Yu Na- 3loop.

Yu Na had more speed, powerful jumps and more difficult combos w/ a 3z-3t and 2x-3t. Kristi had only the 3z-3t

Yet Kristi had better non-jump elements IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    I never found Kristi to be a dynamic nor emotional skater. Her artistry was evident, but it wasn't done with any panache. I always sat at the edge of my seat when Ito and even Harding skated. And, the speed of Yuna's triple lutz/triple toe was exiting. I never got excited watching Kristi as a competitive skater.

I never thought she should have won the short program against Harding in '91. Harding's jumps and spins were exceptional. To me, Kristi was more of a pretty and complete skater.
    I agree to a large degree. Kristi was a complete skater, but I never felt excited watching her skate. OTOH Midori was very exciting to watch, although she lacked the lines and slim figure. I think it was Christopher Dean that once said that her jumps are her artistry. Call it modern art versus Kristi's more traditional art. Compared to Kristi, whom I like a lot, I find Yu na more exciting and interesting to watch, again even without the lines.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Kristi could point her toes.

vCash
    1992 is vastly different from 2010. Sure, Kristi was "only" landing the 3Z-3T as her hardest element to Ito and Harding's 3axel. But look at the environment at the time, how many people lacked even a triple lutz or flip. 1992 is just amazing if you look @ how technically demanding the top tier women were, look 2 years later when Kristi and Ito retired and Harding was a shadow of herself. Bauil barely could do combos with speed, let alone a 3-3 combo and Kerrigan was always an inferior technician to the Ito, Yamaguchi, and Harding but was considered the more competent one in the competition. Many people argue that Ito would have won if she had the triple axel in competition. How about how Mao would do if she landed her 2 triple axels as well as the triple triples that she is capable of doing at her peak (if we're talking about ifs, then factor this in as well). I would say that Mao definitely is very competitive with Yuna and although she may not be as dynamic or fast has better posture and lines to make up for it. Don't get me wrong, I think Yuna is a wonderful skater. But she's far from perfect. Kristi was an infinitely more consistent pro skater when she decided not to do the triple salchow in competition, but 6.0 demanded you had to do all the jumps. And although 6.0 did not necessarily require it look at the entrances to Kristi's jumps.. footwork into triple flip, split flip into triple toe, backbend into triple loop, triple lutz at the very end of the program. She may have been noted as the "artist" at the time but she was very much a technician. Put 1992 Kristi in today's rules and tell her she doesn't have to do a salchow and she's still pretty competitive.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yu na does not have lines but she has great artistry and interpretation of music. Kristi developed a lot after turning pro, but if you compare the two when each won the OGM, Yu na is the better skater at her OGM than Kristi was at hers.
    I think this is a fair assessment. Although her most recent practice clips seem to indicate an effort to improve her lines; which is one reason I'm very interested in seeing her new programs in their entirety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I find Kristi has better posture and probably prettier positions. Yu Na I think skates with more soul and excitement, and even moves with a bit more elegance and grace. Both had excellent choreography. I am not sure which one I consider better artistically of the two as amateurs at this point.

I voted for Yu Na since her jumps are in another league from Kristi's in quality IMO even if content wise they were possibly comparable all things considered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maharbabackward View Post
    1992 is vastly different from 2010. Sure, Kristi was "only" landing the 3Z-3T as her hardest element to Ito and Harding's 3axel. But look at the environment at the time, how many people lacked even a triple lutz or flip. 1992 is just amazing if you look @ how technically demanding the top tier women were, look 2 years later when Kristi and Ito retired and Harding was a shadow of herself. Bauil barely could do combos with speed, let alone a 3-3 combo and Kerrigan was always an inferior technician to the Ito, Yamaguchi, and Harding but was considered the more competent one in the competition. Many people argue that Ito would have won if she had the triple axel in competition. How about how Mao would do if she landed her 2 triple axels as well as the triple triples that she is capable of doing at her peak (if we're talking about ifs, then factor this in as well). I would say that Mao definitely is very competitive with Yuna and although she may not be as dynamic or fast has better posture and lines to make up for it. Don't get me wrong, I think Yuna is a wonderful skater. But she's far from perfect. Kristi was an infinitely more consistent pro skater when she decided not to do the triple salchow in competition, but 6.0 demanded you had to do all the jumps. And although 6.0 did not necessarily require it look at the entrances to Kristi's jumps.. footwork into triple flip, split flip into triple toe, backbend into triple loop, triple lutz at the very end of the program. She may have been noted as the "artist" at the time but she was very much a technician. Put 1992 Kristi in today's rules and tell her she doesn't have to do a salchow and she's still pretty competitive.
    I think that is a good assessment. I do agree Kristi would definitely be very competitive for the gold medals in any era.

vCash
    I think Kristi was known as more of the artist than a technician because she competed against Ito, whose jumps were just out of this world.

vCash
    I voted for Yu-Na. She seems to be way less prone to mistakes than Kristi was.

vCash
    I agree with the poster above who said this is not a fair poll because Yu-na's career isn't over. Also, Kristi skated in an age which had professional skating competitions after retirement from eligible ISU competition. Without that, she may have stayed after winning her OGM and, if she skated the way she did on the Pro circuit, would have dominated the international scene. IMO these two are also not comparable coming from different ages and different systems. Although I do not doubt that Yu-na could have succeeded in 6.0, or that Kristi could have adapted in IJS, it is very hard to compare skaters whose programs were built around completely different judging systems.

vCash
    That is true as well. Kristi would have been pretty much a lock to win 93 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds had she stayed in. There was nobody to challenge her at all really. She even could have been competitive until 98 had she stayed in, although she certainly would have gotten some competition from the likes of Chen, Kwan, and Lipinski in those years (not that there would be hardly any chance she would stay in longer after her 2nd Olympic Gold).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast