View Poll Results: Who did you like the best?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Haley Reinhart

14 22.95%
  • Jacob Lusk

0 0%
  • Lauren Alaina

3 4.92%
  • Stefano Langone

0 0%
  • James Durbin

26 42.62%
  • Casey Abrams

13 21.31%
  • Scotty McCreery

4 6.56%
  • Hated em all

1 1.64%
  • Loved em all

0 0%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    That's been my reaction, too. I am starting to wonder, though, if at least some of this is being fueled by the producers. Michael Slezak said something on Idoloonies about hearing that Haley didn't want to do "Call Me." Today, Stefano is talking about how how he didn't get to show the kind of artist he wants to be. I kind of rolled my eyes at that, but I am getting the sense that, even more than in previous years, the producers are having a huge influence on what the contestants are doing. And maybe some 20 year-olds don't have the confidence to say no. When Casey didn't listen to Jimmy, Jimmy seemed pretty miffed about it and expressed his unhappiness on national tv in front of Idol voters.
    ITA. Jimmy seems very set in his ways. I was hoping that he'd be an improvement, but he seems hell bent on making sure the contestants are doing it his way. I don't get the sense that Jimmy has an inner musician at all. He's promo and packaging.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    That's been my reaction, too. I am starting to wonder, though, if at least some of this is being fueled by the producers. Michael Slezak said something on Idoloonies about hearing that Haley didn't want to do "Call Me." Today, Stefano is talking about how how he didn't get to show the kind of artist he wants to be. I kind of rolled my eyes at that, but I am getting the sense that, even more than in previous years, the producers are having a huge influence on what the contestants are doing. And maybe some 20 year-olds don't have the confidence to say no. When Casey didn't listen to Jimmy, Jimmy seemed pretty miffed about it and expressed his unhappiness on national tv in front of Idol voters.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case at all, but if the contestants don't have the confidence to say no now, I don't think they're going to find the confidence to do so later if they're going to make their first album under Jimmy.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good point, cailuj365

I think they deserve some leeway being so new to this and young but they do need to be able to speak up or they will never really be in control of their career and it could all be over before it starts and they will be left with nothing but regrets.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Good point, cailuj365

I think they deserve some leeway being so new to this and young but they do need to be able to speak up or they will never really be in control of their career and it could all be over before it starts and they will be left with nothing but regrets.
    Like 99.9% of singers who cut an album and are promptly dropped by the label.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case at all, but if the contestants don't have the confidence to say no now, I don't think they're going to find the confidence to do so later if they're going to make their first album under Jimmy.
    I don't think it will matter if they say no to Jimmy when they're making an album with him. They will have to do what he wants. I'm really hoping that Casey doesn't get a recording contract with Jimmy because I can imaging Casey making an album I'd like, but not with Jimmy.

Now is the time to be saying no to Jimmy if Jimmy doesn't want them to sing songs that would help attract an audience or record label that would want them to make the kind of music they want to make.

I don't care what Stefano says now about wanting to do contemporary R&B with hip-hop, he had so many weeks when he decided to do lounge-lizard songs and performances.

vCash
    I'm not even sure if Jimmy would want to make a record with Casey. I've only been watching the performances, so I don't know Jimmy's persona very well, but I associate Jimmy with Eminem, Gaga, and BEP, and Casey is soooooo far from that...

I just read that Bruno Mars is going to be performing next week! Whee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    I'm not even sure if Jimmy would want to make a record with Casey. I've only been watching the performances, so I don't know Jimmy's persona very well, but I associate Jimmy with Eminem, Gaga, and BEP, and Casey is soooooo far from that...
    Apparently, he's going to branch out then. He is going to make an album of ballads with Pia. I'm also pretty sure he'll end making one or two country albums with Scotty and Lauren. I don't think he'll sign Casey, either, though, which is one reason why Casey should ignore what he says, even if it means having Jimmy publicly say bad things about him. Jimmy was really ticked off when Casey finally didn't do what he was telling him to do and went back to doing jazz last week. That's really a shame because I think Jimmy's angry comments on the show might have made Casey think that he had to do the pop/rock thing.

vCash
    Am I the only who doesn't see the "star quality" in Lauren? The judges gush over her and Jimmie tells us that she has what it takes to win it. I just don't see it at all. She's OKAY but that's it, IMO. She takes no risks and just kind of bores me a bit every week.

Oh .. and I will be shocked if Haley doesn't sing "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" next week. Can't you just hear her growling on the "YOU" right now?

ETA: I think "Way Over Yonder" would suit Jacob perfectly.

vCash
    Lauren already sang Natural Woman so I doubt Haley will do it. I was looking at a list of Carole King songs earlier & I couldn't find any that could be made to sound current. I hope I'm wrong. I remember a large number of them & most of them seem kind of hokey now.

BTW, I don't think Haley has been doing the growling the last couple of weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    She did some growling last week, I remember. Maybe not as much as in the past though.

vCash
    Lauren already sang Natural Woman so I doubt Haley will do it. I was looking at a list of Carole King songs earlier & I couldn't find any that could be made to sound current. I hope I'm wrong. I remember a large number of them & most of them seem kind of hokey now.

Okay, I'd forgotten about Lauren doing Natural Woman ... kind of proves my point that I always find her completely forgettable.

Oh yes, Haley has been growling ... not so much this past week .. but the week before ... most definitely. Don't get me wrong - I LIKE the growl but just wish she'd pick her spots to do it and not overuse it.

vCash
    I hope I'm wrong. I remember a large number of them & most of them seem kind of hokey now.
    True. I'm of that era and many of them sound juvenile and pretentious, mostly because the folk style lyrics are forced into a soft rock feel. The work of some of her contemporaries seem to have held up better - Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, Laura Nyro - probably because they were targeting college radio, not Top 40 stations.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Am I the only who doesn't see the "star quality" in Lauren? The judges gush over her and Jimmie tells us that she has what it takes to win it. I just don't see it at all. She's OKAY but that's it, IMO. She takes no risks and just kind of bores me a bit every week.
    Many agree with you, as do I. She's nothing special. She can sing well, but has absolutely zero connection to anything she's singing. I don't think Lauren has understood the lyrics of anything she's sung thus far. However, she can shimmy her hips towards all the old men with the best of them, which I find rather gag-worthy. Her mother isn't doing her any favors in mentoring her to be a Lolita-style performer.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Many agree with you, as do I. She's nothing special. She can sing well, but has absolutely zero connection to anything she's singing. I don't think Lauren has understood the lyrics of anything she's sung thus far. However, she can shimmy her hips towards all the old men with the best of them, which I find rather gag-worthy. Her mother isn't doing her any favors in mentoring her to be a Lolita-style performer.
    Yes, I can't take away from her that she has a very good voice. I wonder if Idol made a mistake in lowering the age limit. I really think that connecting with the lyrics takes maturity and living. But, then, Idol is looking for pop, an most pop songs don't require much emotional connection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I agree too. And the shimmying of hips is sickening.

BTW, we were almost spared having Jacob in AI this year, if not for a soft-on-crime judge. Jacob got in some trouble, nothing real serious, but then he failed to show up in court. So then when he got caught for (I think) speeding, he had a warrent for his arrest. The judge put him on 6 mos probation & fined him but Jacob pleaded that if he was on probation Idol wouldn't let him compete. So the judge dropped the probation. Rats!

I find it amusing that apparently Jacob sang the whole time he was in jail & there were some prisoners who were ready to beat the crap out of him to shut him up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Okay, I'd forgotten about Lauren doing Natural Woman ... kind of proves my point that I always find her completely forgettable.
    OTOH, I remember Crystal doing a beautiful version of Natural Woman. And Crystal is going to be on next week.

I've been saying the same thing about Lauren being clueless about the lyrics all season long. But, I think a lot of this season's contestants don't have much connection with the lyrics.

vCash
    Not that it matters but just because I find it interesting to know who likes who:

My 85 year old great grandmother likes Scotty...a lot

My Dad prefers James.

No one I know, and I mean that literally as in NO ONE, likes Jacob. Most use the word hate. We are obviously not his base of voters.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Some of my 6th grade students think Scotty is cutest thing ever! (Of course I do live and teach in NC, and we get updates during the local newscast after each AI show.)

vCash
    I agree too. And the shimmying of hips is sickening.

BTW, we were almost spared having Jacob in AI this year, if not for a soft-on-crime judge. Jacob got in some trouble, nothing real serious, but then he failed to show up in court. So then when he got caught for (I think) speeding, he had a warrent for his arrest. The judge put him on 6 mos probation & fined him but Jacob pleaded that if he was on probation Idol wouldn't let him compete. So the judge dropped the probation. Rats!

I find it amusing that apparently Jacob sang the whole time he was in jail & there were some prisoners who were ready to beat the crap out of him to shut him up.
    I should negative rep you for telling me this!!!
    -Brian

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Idol was looking for a Beiber that would bring in younger viewers and make them money.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast