vCash

Poly Styrene, 1957-2011

Sad news. From the Guardian obit:

Styrene, who was born Marian Joan Elliott-Said, shot to fame in 1976 with X-Ray Spex, and was immortalised in punk history with the song Oh Bondage, Up Yours! "Little girls should be seen and not heard," Styrene would say to introduce the track. X-Ray Spex released one album, the acclaimed Germ Free Adolescents in 1978, before Styrene left the group.

Despite her relatively short stint with the band, Styrene's overt feminism and mixed-race heritage marked her out among her punk contemporaries and won her legions of fans for generations to come. Beth Ditto, singer with Gossip, said: "Poly Styrene [was] so ahead of her time. She recreated punk."

vCash
    Wow. So young, and I had no idea she'd been through so much. RIP.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    last night when I heard the news I went and watched a ton of x-ray spex videos. Kathleen Hanna owes her entire career to Poly Styrene.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry