vCash

American College of Surgeons president in a "sticky" situation

A top surgeon has been forced to quit his post over comments he wrote about semen and its effect on the health, happiness and well-being of women.

Dr. Lazar Greenfield resigned from his position as the president-elect of the American College of Surgeons following a Valentine’s day editorial he wrote citing research which found that women who had unprotected sex were less depressed than women who used condoms, arguing semen was the factor which made the difference.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/surgeon-resig...n-controversy/

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com...llow/#comments

Prominent Surgeon Resigns Post After Backlash Over Editorial

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011...over-editorial

Is this a case of shooting the messenger if it is scientifically accurate?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    If his research is legitimate then why should he have to resign? It isn't his fault if this is true. There could be other reasons such as women being more connected to mates when they have unprotected sex which could lead to higher levels of happiness, etc. etc. That isn't really the point, though. Unless his research was found to be fraudulent then how in the world is this right?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    If his research is legitimate then why should he have to resign? It isn't his fault if this is true. There could be other reasons such as women being more connected to mates when they have unprotected sex which could lead to higher levels of happiness, etc. etc. That isn't really the point, though. Unless his research was found to be fraudulent then how in the world is this right?
    The 'other reasons' are an issue and it would be really difficult to control for them in research.

While I think that the study itself should have been examined and debunked, I do understand the outrage at it. It does reek of male chauvinism, especially when seen in context of past beliefs about the male and female sex which paraded as science. For example, according to the theory of the humours, women's ovaries were cold and sperm was necessary to warm them up. So, men are obligated to have sex with women to warm them up - convenient, isn't it?

vCash
    It also promotes unsafe sex, which sets back sooooo many public health movements and campaigns.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think he was promoting unsafe sex at all. He was just reporting on a finding in his research. Could someone take it that way..well, I guess. However, that doesn't mean it was his intent. We can take plenty of things the wrong way.

As far as the male chauvinism, I see how that was a problem in the past but I don't think he was seriously advising all woman to allow men to ejaculate inside of them for their happiness.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    As far as the male chauvinism, I see how that was a problem in the past but I don't think he was seriously advising all woman to allow men to ejaculate inside of them for their happiness.
    Certainly could be interpreted that way.

vCash
    Well, I think the fact that he included this information in a Valentine's day editorial is telling...there is some scientific research to support his claim, but he absolutely should have stated he was not promoting unprotected sex practices.

Here is a link to the research abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It also promotes unsafe sex, which sets back sooooo many public health movements and campaigns.
    Well sex without a condom does feels better and would make me happier. Doesn't mean I am going to go and do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Well, I think the fact that he included this information in a Valentine's day editorial is telling...there is some scientific research to support his claim, but he absolutely should have stated he was not promoting unprotected sex practices.

Here is a link to the research abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024
    Thanks.

Yeah, more like a "wrong time, wrong place" to approach the matter. And the ACoS group were probably thinking "What else is he going to write about or say once he becomes President? "

Even if it relieves depression, by how much? And it's not like there are no other effective ways to treat it.

vCash
    I was like, why is a surgeon conducting research on this? But then I realized that he's merely discussing past research done by others.

I think it was the way he wrote it:
    So there's a deeper bond between men and women than St. Valentine would have suspected, and now we know there's a better gift for that day than chocolates.”