Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Does anyone have feedback on Central Michigan U?

vCash
    Rex! You can do it!

vCash
    I say go for it. I'm actually going back myself but am choosing the full-time route since I want to change careers. Have you taken the GMAT or GRE yet? Some programs don't require either test, but I believe Temple does (I was looking into their fast track international program, but since I got in somewhere else before I even sent the application out, I never applied).

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I'm on the fence. Frankly, all the really successful people I know in marketing (who demand major salaries and benefits) do NOT have marketing degrees. They all told me that a marketing degree is a dime a dozen these days. I was considering going to back to school for it too and they said it wasn't necessary.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Rex! You can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I say go for it. I'm actually going back myself but am choosing the full-time route since I want to change careers. Have you taken the GMAT or GRE yet? Some programs don't require either test, but I believe Temple does (I was looking into their fast track international program, but since I got in somewhere else before I even sent the application out, I never applied).
    Thanks for the words of support you two. I just found out my EO said I can start when I'm ready. He's getting more information for me today.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I'm on the fence. Frankly, all the really successful people I know in marketing (who demand major salaries and benefits) do NOT have marketing degrees. They all told me that a marketing degree is a dime a dozen these days. I was considering going to back to school for it too and they said it wasn't necessary.
    I'm not pursuing a marketing degree. Where did I say that?

vCash
    None of the people in my marketing department majored in marketing for their bachelors degree, but all have MBAs, and many of them did marketing for their concentration in their MBA.

My coworker's undergrad degrees are in: fine art, history, food science, business, print technology, Russian, engineering, etc. Only one person majored in business. None majored in marketing. In classical consumer goods marketing, your undergrad can be in any subject - it teaches you how to think and learn, write and reason. Your MBA gets you hired.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I just found out my EO said I can start when I'm ready. He's getting more information for me today.
    Edumacation!
    Make sure you share what you learn here
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I'm not pursuing a marketing degree. Where did I say that?
    It sounded to me that manleywoman was planning on it, not that she thought you were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It sounded to me that manleywoman was planning on it, not that she thought you were.
    Ohhh, my bad. Sorry manleywoman.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Does anyone have feedback on Central Michigan U?
    CMU has a graduate program where I work. They have online and traditional graduate programs with classes that meet only on weekends. I don't know anything about their other programs, but I know something about the weekend program, if that would help you.

They do have both regional and AACSB accreditation.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Actually I was referring to where Rex said this in his first post:
    I currently have a Bachelors in Communications from Cabrini College, but my experience in marketing/PR/journalism is pretty limited, unless you count the four years I supported the director of marketing in my old firm, and my current job which includes doing the weekly newsletter...
    So I assumed he was looking for a marketing degree. My mistake.

But yes, I was looking at it myself as well, and that was what I was told by the most successful people in marketing I know. And none of the three of them have MBAs either.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    At 42 now 43, I decided to go back to school as a freshman at Penn State. It was/is the best decision I have ever made. Enjoy the experience, Rex.

Carol

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    What falls under the umbrella of marketing can vary from company to company.

In my experience, creative types and business development (sales) types do not really need MBAs, though any kind of advanced degree is usually helpful in breaking through to the upper-level positions more quickly.

Strategists and product/line managers usually do need a MBA or an advanced degree.

The people who can really command the big bucks are marketers with a finance background. If you can marry the two, your paycheck will be fat in no time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    One of the best doctors I've met started medical school at 42. Go for it, Rex!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    CMU has a graduate program where I work. They have online and traditional graduate programs with classes that meet only on weekends. I don't know anything about their other programs, but I know something about the weekend program, if that would help you.

They do have both regional and AACSB accreditation.
    What do you know?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    What do you know?
    everything.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    everything.
    That's Prancer .

vCash
    Good on you Rex and good luck with it all, whether it be marketing or not.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    What do you know?
    The weekend program is a BEAR. That's what I know. Each term lasts for six weeks with two terms every calendar quarter, and this is the general class schedule: Fri 6:00PM-10:00PM; Sat 8:00AM-4:30PM

Sometimes they have classes on Sunday, too. The programs move very quickly; you can get done in about half the usual time. But you will bleed for it.

The students at my CMU branch are all military or civil service; I don't believe that they accept anyone else here. That means all their grad programs are very government-focused. The students seem to think the workload is very heavy during a term; I don't know anything about that, as I don't work in CMU programs. My general impression is that the students are very focused and competitive; none of my CMU referrals have ever been slackers--although I do wish the CMU people would do a better job of cleaning up my classroom after pizza parties.

I will say that CMU tries very hard to make students feel like they are in a real CMU program rather than just taking classes somewhere (a real problem where I work); it isn't easy, but they try.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The speeded up courses I did Multi-Cultural Ed in two weeks. I did nothing but read, write, research.

I would NOT do it again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast