Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 137 of 137
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    For those who've taken and/or taught online classes, what's the format and etc. been like for you?
    I have taken my university degree and accounting designation online through Blackboard OLE. I love that part about it because I can access it anytime, anywhere (especially at work). It also lists my marks and has all the course content included. The part I did not like was having to read a computer screen all the time. My eyes have gotten so much worse (and they were bad to begin with).

    In most classes we were put into groups and then had to participate in weekly discussions and then submit a group report by Sunday at midnight (the only thing I hated since that meant I had to do most homework on weekends). This was sometimes challenging as people in my group would not post anything or contribute to the report but would get the same grade. Or people's contributions made no sense and some could get argumentative.

    Some instructors were good and kept us involved; others did nothing and sometimes we never even got assignment marks back (which bothered me, since we had deadlines that had to be met, but the instructors weren't held to theirs). And some went way overboard, with wanting us to post everyday and they must be meaningful posts. We were graded on our participation.

    It's not for everyone though. You have to have self-motivation and willpower (of which I stuggled with). There were days when I really did not want to do any homework or would struggle with assignments - and there is no one to turn to. You could discuss issues but not answers - which is really hard sometimes. All this while working fulltime and raising a family did not help matters either. I felt guilty if I had to miss a hockey game or family function. While studying for exams, I had my husband take the kids out for the day so I could study in a quiet house. But there were days where I said screw it - I am going to be with my kids - I will settle for a 75% rather than 85%!!

    But I made it throught the 5 years and graduated this past weekend. I am very proud of myself and could not have done it without the support of my family.

  2. #122
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yay Rex!! Don't forget to give the teacher a virtual apple
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  3. #123
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post

    But I made it throught the 5 years and graduated this past weekend. I am very proud of myself and could not have done it without the support of my family.
    Congratulations!
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    1,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Good Luck Rex. I just finished my first quarter. We had homework before the term started and the pace just keeps increasing.

    Are you doing an Accelerated Program? I can't imagine how people will be able to cram all the coursework into one year. I barely survived the first 7 weeks.

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17347
    I have an assignment due tomorrow for my Administrative Management course - which I've done already . Friday I have a two page paper due for that class AND my State & Local Government course - due at midnight.

    I'll be a busy boy.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10602
    Good luck, Rex!

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17347
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Good Luck Rex. I just finished my first quarter. We had homework before the term started and the pace just keeps increasing.

    Are you doing an Accelerated Program? I can't imagine how people will be able to cram all the coursework into one year. I barely survived the first 7 weeks.
    Thanks Yehudi. No, it's not accelerated. But there are lots of written assignments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Good luck, Rex!
    Thanks

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17347
    My books have not arrived yet. I told my school counselor and she said she took both classes without her books and got a B!!! She insists that the answers to my questions are online. I got some work done on my assignment that is due Friday. My goal is to stay ahead of the game if I can.

    Thanks everyone for your unwavering support!!!

  9. #129
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,687
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    14806
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    My books have not arrived yet. I told my school counselor and she said she took both classes without her books and got a B!!! She insists that the answers to my questions are online.
    She may be right. I hardly ever bought textbooks for classes, even before the internet, and did all right. Of course, my memory was a lot better back then .

    The problem with finding answers online is that they aren't always the same answers you would find in the book, so be careful. You might want to search for your books online--there are a lot of textbooks uploaded in Google Books and you can sometimes get all your reading done there if you ration yourself.

    If you are paying for your books yourself, I might be able to save you some money .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,262
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Good luck Rex! I know you can do it. Feel free to send me a pm if you need help finding articles, books or stats for your assignments.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17347
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    She may be right. I hardly ever bought textbooks for classes, even before the internet, and did all right. Of course, my memory was a lot better back then .

    The problem with finding answers online is that they aren't always the same answers you would find in the book, so be careful. You might want to search for your books online--there are a lot of textbooks uploaded in Google Books and you can sometimes get all your reading done there if you ration yourself.

    If you are paying for your books yourself, I might be able to save you some money .
    This is working for the discussion topics in the Cyber Cafe, but I've got two papers due Monday for each class that specifically ask you to respond to questions in the book..... Oh well, persistence will find a way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Good luck Rex! I know you can do it. Feel free to send me a pm if you need help finding articles, books or stats for your assignments.
    Thanks Civic, I will. Stand by .

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,733
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4080
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    This is working for the discussion topics in the Cyber Cafe, but I've got two papers due Monday for each class that specifically ask you to respond to questions in the book..... Oh well, persistence will find a way.
    Check to see if your library system has these books, even older editions. If they don't, then talk to your professor and ask him for either an extension, or for him to (shh...) perhaps scan just those pages of the book and send them to you.

    I assume the books are being sent to you from the school, and you didn't purchase them yourself, right?
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cali baby
    Posts
    1,797
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rex, thank you for starting this thread, it's really informative.

    I've been a stay at home mom since 1999 and now that my kids are in school full time I'm thinking of going back to school then get myself back into the working world. The plan is for my salary to purchase our cars, annual vacation, and savings. I never realized that online degrees were frowned upon... I have a lot of researching to do!

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,733
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4080
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I've been a stay at home mom since 1999 and now that my kids are in school full time I'm thinking of going back to school then get myself back into the working world. The plan is for my salary to purchase our cars, annual vacation, and savings. I never realized that online degrees were frowned upon... I have a lot of researching to do!
    Check to see if your local colleges have classes that fit your schedule. Many colleges have part-time and full-time degree programs that might work for you, especially if your plan is to take classes while your kids are at school. If you already have some college credits behind you, some colleges also offer accelerated degree completion programs specifically for adult students, which might appeal to you.

    If you find that you really have to do this degree online, stick to the online degrees offered by reputable, old-fashioned-style, brick and mortar schools. So look at the many online degrees offered by UMass Amherst, Northeastern, Drexel, Florida State, U Denver, Regis U, etc. Also look at the colleges in and near your home state. Some may offer online degrees, and if you got an online degree from a school that's commutable to you, it won't be obvious you did the degree online from your resume.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cali baby
    Posts
    1,797
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Also look at the colleges in and near your home state. Some may offer online degrees, and if you got an online degree from a school that's commutable to you, it won't be obvious you did the degree online from your resume.
    Thank you for the advice! Luckily I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so I have several to choose from... Cal States, maybe even a UC if they'll accept me. My last college credits are from 1998 so I doubt they're still eligible.

  16. #136
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    For those who've taken and/or taught online classes, what's the format and etc. been like for you?
    For those that only need some deadlines to follow, it works. Even back when I was doing brick-and-mortar school I often end up reading the book and ignoring the teacher (I'm visual person), so online works fine. It does need self motivation, and I try not to pick classes that look like it is going to draw out (like requiring 21 assignments insread of 10)

    That said, I've never had a teacher online who is willing to challenge me. Most of the online classes I have had, as long as you give a decent effort and do everything you're asked on paper, you get an A--even in subjects I'm not particularly strong in. The instructors' reasoning is that they are not there physically to help you with understanding materials, so they cannot hold you accountable for things that may be a challenge to grasp. So easy As it is.

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    133
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13
    I always love these discussions. Plain and simple: go back. I got my BSW at 46 and my MSW at 50. Now, 10 years later, I have had my ups and downs, but have a good job and a son who just received his college degree (proud mom).
    I went to a small, local women's college (Cedar Crest College, Allentown, PA), which really TOOK CARE and helped women returning to school. Now, they too have online and Master's level courses. Ask for the Lifelong Learning person (or something of that sort). There were fewer older women back 15 years ago, but 3 of us were in that BSW class in our 40's and loved it all.
    Don't let anything stop you.
    jms
    BSW, Summa Cum Laude
    MSW, Honors
    LSW
    Happy
    JMS

    Make a fast friend: adopt a greyhound!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •