Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    The speeded up courses I did Multi-Cultural Ed in two weeks. I did nothing but read, write, research.

I would NOT do it again.
    All of my classes right now are half-terms, and I hate most of them. The workload in one class in particular drives the students to tears and most of them would really benefit from more time. So would I.

But there are people for whom these courses are blessings. It just depends on what you are aiming for and how dedicated you are to doing it.

My experience with CMU students is that most of them end up having to take some time off because they can't deal with the incessant pace. But even with that, most of them graduate early.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    All of my classes right now are half-terms, and I hate most of them. The workload in one class in particular drives the students to tears and most of them would really benefit from more time. So would I.

But there are people for whom these courses are blessings. It just depends on what you are aiming for and how dedicated you are to doing it.

My experience with CMU students is that most of them end up having to take some time off because they can't deal with the incessant pace. But even with that, most of them graduate early.
    My undergrad program at Cabrini was accelerated. One Saturday for almost two years. 9am to 1pm. And you had to really stay caught up on the reading and homework because of the pace.

vCash
    I'm so used to an accelerated course schedule, that when I took a traditionally paced course, I had to be very careful not to drift/get lost. I was so used to having to work constantly, that having that same work spread out was, at first, dangerous - I feared I'd lose my place, forget to do stuff.

You get used to the fast schedule. I actually prefer it. But it is one heck of a lot of work.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I'm so used to an accelerated course schedule, that when I took a traditionally paced course, I had to be very careful not to drift/get lost. I was so used to having to work constantly, that having that same work spread out was, at first, dangerous - I feared I'd lose my place, forget to do stuff.

You get used to the fast schedule. I actually prefer it. But it is one heck of a lot of work.
    Seriously. And I was also living with my invalid grandmother at the time, and was helping to take care of her, and that cuts into study time. I found it easier to go to the campus library after classes and just stay there until 6 or so, just to stay caught up. God forbid if you should be sick and miss a class...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    God forbid if you should be sick and miss a class...
    Only if you're mature. I know plenty of 20 somethings who sign up for intensives and skip at least 50% of the classes. Strangely, they seem to get Bs anyway.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I'd recommend staying away from this place.

http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/td/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'd recommend staying away from this place.

http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/td/
    Think I'll take a pass.

vCash
    It sounds as if your CMU students are in a cohort program. In a cohort program, all the students start during the same semester or term; take all of the same classes and progress through the program as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The weekend program is a BEAR. That's what I know. Each term lasts for six weeks with two terms every calendar quarter, and this is the general class schedule: Fri 6:00PM-10:00PM; Sat 8:00AM-4:30PM

Sometimes they have classes on Sunday, too. The programs move very quickly; you can get done in about half the usual time. But you will bleed for it.

The students at my CMU branch are all military or civil service; I don't believe that they accept anyone else here. That means all their grad programs are very government-focused. The students seem to think the workload is very heavy during a term; I don't know anything about that, as I don't work in CMU programs. My general impression is that the students are very focused and competitive; none of my CMU referrals have ever been slackers--although I do wish the CMU people would do a better job of cleaning up my classroom after pizza parties.

I will say that CMU tries very hard to make students feel like they are in a real CMU program rather than just taking classes somewhere (a real problem where I work); it isn't easy, but they try.

vCash
    Naturally most of what I know about CMU concerns the marching band and the music program But those are both pretty good, which is always a good sign to me. And I know several people who went there and are very happy.

vCash
    Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to one, my ESO found two universities that not only offer MBA programs online, but offer 90-100% financial coverage for with the TA program for veterans; Brenau Univerisity and Liberty University, the latter a "Christian" college. I could get full coverage without paying a dime, and my "payback" time to the federal gov't starts when I start class. So by the time I finish, I'd only be obligated to them for a few months at the most. But I think I'd like to stay with the government. Both schools have regional accreditation.

American Military University was my final choice, but they are $325 per credit, or $975 per semester.

Colorado Technical University called me this morning and they are very aggressive in their pursuit of grad students and have a couple of MBA programs I'm very interested in, but at almost $1800 per semester, so not doable. The Coast Guard's limit is $750 per semester. My goal is to have a final decision by summer so I can start in the fall. Most of these do allow you to start when you are ready, but I want a last hurrah before I buckle down.

vCash
    Liberty University is the school founded by Jerry Falwell.
    Would you be comfortable with a degree from there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Shit, that is the one that the Coast Guard can cover 100%.

vCash
    I don't care if they actually paid me. I don't want anything to do with that school.

vCash
    I don't care if they actually paid me. I don't want anything to do with that school.
    I have to at least consider it. But the ESO has more schools for me to look at. Nothing is final yet.

vCash
    Rex, I think a lot of potential employers would have this same reaction upon seeing Liberty University on your resume. Potential employers could make assumptions about you that you don't want them to make.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post

I love those accelerated schedules. I prefer focusig intensively on one or two classes than spreading my attention between more classes throughout a longer period of time. I have a short attention span. Short and intensive works

vCash
    You need to be comfortable with people knowing you went to Liberty U, and of its association with Falwell. If you are not, then you really shouldn't go there.

You seem to be having problems finding programs that suit you. To increase your choices, this is a list of MBA programs that offer distance learning degrees. Some are schools we've said you should avoid (Keller, U of Phoenix, etc.) But others are of good quality:
    http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I see MTU is on that list - cool. I have been looking at that one as well; IIRC, they have a veterans' discount.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Shit, that is the one that the Coast Guard can cover 100%.
    Too bad - they have a nice figure skating Club program.
    http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clu....cfm?PID=21588

I second the accelerated programs for master's degrees. You have to be committed and organized, but the shorter elapsed time is so much easier. It lets you get on with your life sooner, even though it's hard work during the period.

Make sure to ask about getting waivers for requirements that are related to your undergraduate study or work experience. Every course you have get waived moves you closer to the finish line while saving time and money.

How long ago did you finish your bachelor's degree? Most masters programs won't waive courses after five years or so.

vCash
    ^^^About seven years ago, I'm afraid. Oh, well.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast