Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 301 to 315 of 315
  1. #301
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    I at times want to tear my hair, but I will take Moffat, his monsters, and his screwy timeline over RT Davies and his CONSTANT INCESSANT WANGSTY CHARACTERS any day...I think Moffat is around my age, so he grew up with the same Doctor Who era I did, with the monsters and the slightly wacky Doctor...

    And finally, someone asked..."Doctor who?"

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've been watching the first couple of series and I really like where Davies started with the reboot. I like the first series for it's relative simplicity, and watching it again made me appreciate Christopher Eccelston as the doctor a little more. It was a good, accessible starting point for the viewer, especially someone like me who never saw the original series. The second and third series are a little uneven, but still good tv. I like everything in the fourth series except for the season finale, thats when everything started going in the "WTF??" direction. Ugh, and then that ridiculous Cybermen christmas special. UGH. It just got too overly grandiose and bloated by the end of his run. I appreciate that Moffat has taken the grandiose quality away, even if his plotlines are effin hard to follow sometimes. I like his creativity though, even if things are more complicated and darker...oh and I love his dialogue. "You should take her out for...texting...and...scones..."

  3. #303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,732
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Enjoyed the season finale. (Yeah, finally got to watch it tonight). I am a bit confused when Amy didn't remember Rory in the alternate time frame, but other than that, great stuff.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    Enjoyed the season finale. (Yeah, finally got to watch it tonight). I am a bit confused when Amy didn't remember Rory in the alternate time frame, but other than that, great stuff.
    I think it was akin to her taking a little while to remember the Doctor after he reversed the TARDIS explosion. She knew of him, but it took her a little while to recognize him.

  5. #305

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paname
    Posts
    4,425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3717
    RTD broke my heart TOO many times between DrWho and Torchwood.
    At least Moffat isn't going to that angle yet. And I love that. It's playfull yet sometimes pretty dark. The fact he is putting the doctor in a position where he HAS to acknowledge the way he "uses" his friends is something lots of fans have been asking for years.
    He is also a lot ruthless with his ennemies. When Matt gets serious, I think it's even darker than Tennant's bad moods.
    Plus the trio really works. They're crazy young actors. They play anything, and the fun they're having transmits WELL on tv. It's a show for kids right ? RTD forgot that way too often and used Sarah Jane for that instead. The Moff' is not forgetting that and it makes me love his doctor all the more.

    Still, Tennant will remain my heart's choice. And Ecclecston too. I'm still too furious about the way nine ended.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

  6. #306
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,739
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    ... He is also a lot ruthless with his ennemies. When Matt gets serious, I think it's even darker than Tennant's bad moods. ...
    I like 11's quiet & intense anger, a great contrast to 10. Don't get me wrong, I will still worship David Tennant until the day I die ... but I did get just a teensy bit tired of his rubber-faced screaming anger face. With Matt Smith, not only is it more subtle, it's more believable for a Time Lord IMO.

    ETA: I have an even greater appreciation for Matt Smith now after seeing the 1st episode of Party Animals on the weekend. This is already a new favourite of mine. Too bad it's not a very long series.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 10-04-2011 at 05:07 PM.

  7. #307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love David Tennant and I love the charm he brought to the role but he couldn't give the same intensity to his anger that Matt Smith can. Christopher Eccelston was also more intimidating when angry. I also enjoyed Rose's relationship with the Ninth Doctor more than what it became when David Tennant took over.
    I decided to watch some of the old series with Tom Baker to see what it was like, and it made me appreciate the reboot Moffat has done for the series with this last finale. He's not going to be a godlike figure swooping in and saving the day for awhile--he's a madman in a box who likes to travel, just like the old days.

  8. #308
    Accept no substitutes
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    'Straya
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5612
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I decided to watch some of the old series with Tom Baker to see what it was like, and it made me appreciate the reboot Moffat has done for the series with this last finale. He's not going to be a godlike figure swooping in and saving the day for awhile--he's a madman in a box who likes to travel, just like the old days.
    Interesting. I've been watching the Tom Baker stories recently and it's reminded me of all the reasons I prefer the original series. No story arcs. Really top notch companions (I've ended up disliking most of the new Who companions), and lovely stand alone stories (albeit in 4-6 parts).

    Haven't seen the finale yet. Scheduled for Saturday here.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

  9. #309
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    Interesting. I've been watching the Tom Baker stories recently and it's reminded me of all the reasons I prefer the original series. No story arcs. Really top notch companions (I've ended up disliking most of the new Who companions), and lovely stand alone stories (albeit in 4-6 parts).

    Haven't seen the finale yet. Scheduled for Saturday here.
    I didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's so it was hard for me to really engage in the old episodes, but I can appreciate the original series' creative use of their low budget. I watched the Ark in Space and City of Death--the Ark was hard for me to get into, but I finished it. Tom Baker seemed a little cold and aloof in that serial, plus I HATED Harry. However, I really liked the City of Death. It was just a lot of fun, and Baker was hilarious. I can see why so many people love that serial. I wish they'd bring Romana back somehow.
    I like the idea of the story arcs but it is so hard to do them well, and on DW they still need some tweaking. This last series had the most potential with building it around the Doctor's death but they mixed up the episodes and the plot writing got to be pretty lazy (ex: introduction of Mels). It got stronger as it went along, so maybe they're starting to figure their shit out. I'm hoping by making the Doctor a low-key traveler it will tone down the grandiose quality the show has taken on since series 3.
    I will sound like a total geek but the best story arc I've seen done is Nickelodeon's Avatar: the last airbender series. Not a single episode was wasted and it wrapped up perfectly. I'm not embarrassed to admit that. Not at all. I'm 25 years old and I watch old Nickelodeon shows and it's FINE.

  10. #310
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,739
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ The weird thing about story arcs on British TV is that most British series are about 6 episodes a season, and rarely more than 2 or 3 seasons. It's so much easier to build an arc that way.

    I personally have no problem with stand-alone episodes mixed with
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    ... I can appreciate the original series' creative use of their low budget. ...
    Last time I was in London I did a walking tour that included some underground tunnels that had been used as "locations" during the original series. Low budget doesn't even begin to describe it!

    I can still appreciate the cheezy fun of the original series ... but only in small doses. You can only view so many Ed Wood-esque "special effects" at a time without it completely distracting from everything else.

  11. #311

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,269
    vCash
    567
    Rep Power
    3372
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I will sound like a total geek but the best story arc I've seen done is Nickelodeon's Avatar: the last airbender series. Not a single episode was wasted and it wrapped up perfectly. I'm not embarrassed to admit that. Not at all. I'm 25 years old and I watch old Nickelodeon shows and it's FINE.
    I'm 37 and I watched those. It's completely fine.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

  12. #312
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I can still appreciate the cheezy fun of the original series ... but only in small doses. You can only view so many Ed Wood-esque "special effects" at a time without it completely distracting from everything else.
    The Ark in Space utilized so much bubble wrap...and apparently I was supposed to be terrified by it.

  13. #313
    Accept no substitutes
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    'Straya
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5612
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    The Ark in Space utilized so much bubble wrap...and apparently I was supposed to be terrified by it.
    But it was bubble wrap painted green - didn't that disguise it sufficiently?

    Just watched The Talons of Weng Chiang from the Tom Baker years. As it was set in Victorian times there weren't that many special effects, but the giant rat prop was absolutely hilarious.

    I can deal with the poor special effects because I know it's a product of its time and budget, and the effects aren't why I watch (same goes for programmes like original Star Trek and also Blake's 7).
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

  14. #314

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,269
    vCash
    567
    Rep Power
    3372
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    But it was bubble wrap painted green - didn't that disguise it sufficiently?
    I haven't seen many episodes of the original Dr Who but I did see that one. It gave me a really good laugh. I don't mind the cheesy special effects in the early sci-fi years but I have to take them in small doses.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

  15. #315
    Accept no substitutes
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    'Straya
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5612
    Just saw the finale, and all I can say is 'what the hell was that?'. Sorry, but I didn't get any of it.

    I fear my Who watching days are over.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •