vCash

Grete Waitz passed away

I don't know how many of you who are into track & field, but the news left me incredibly sad.

Grete was the first track & field world champion, in Helsinki 1983, when she won womans marathon. She also won the New York Marathon 9 times, and have lots of nationals and international titles.

What I really admire her for, is how she has fought for womans sports, both in Norway and internationally. When she came on the scene in the mid 70ies, woman were not supposed to run long and hard, but Grete changed peoples opinions and became a role model for so many girls, fighting the male regime in their clubs.
    In Norway, she started her own city race, just for woman, all her life she worked to get us all to leave the tv-chair and start moving. she was so inspirational, her race was great fun, I took part some years ago.

The last years Grete has been fighting cancer, and last night she passed away in her sleep. While she was ill, she kept working, helping others with cancer to stay active and fight the decease.

She came across a such a likeable woman, I really admire her, and I will miss her!

ETA: forgot to add she was only 57 so sad for her husband and her family!
    Last edited by SmallFairy; 04-19-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    R.I.P.

She also won the silver medal in the inaugural women's marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    What irony for her to pass on Boston Marathon day. She was such a classy winner.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Grete won the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta several times when my husband was involved with its administration. He said he met her several times and she was really a lovely person. Sorry I told him-I think he took it hard.

Quadless
    vCash
    What sad news. She was a marathon legend. May she rest in peace.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    R.I.P.

vCash
    Oh my, so sad. Grete seemed like such a fantastic woman. RIP.

She's etched upon my mind, for certain.

vCash
    She was a great champion; and a courageous person.
    RIP.

vCash
    Oh my, I didn't even realize she was ill. She, Joan Samuelson, and Ingrid Kristiansen were all really inspirational runners.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Oh my, I didn't even realize she was ill.
    She was for quite a while. I believe she was diagnosed in 2005 (?). I remember seeing an interview with her at the World Athletics Championships where she had established a foundation to raise money for cancer care.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash

Loved Grete. She was a sensational athlete. Her legacy will live on, but...57 is so young.

vCash
    very sad - she was a great champion. she continued to run and support the New York marathon long after she was the favorite to win it.