Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

how to get tix to a sold-out Broadway show?

(starting a new thread for this instead of resurrecting my previous New York trip thread ...)

Because it took so long for us to finalize our dates (long story), we're only able to start booking theatre etc. now. As luck would have it, the one show I most want to see, The Book of Mormon, has "no tickets available" for the week we're there.

I'm using Telecharge (as linked from both the official site and from Playboard). Is there some other sekret source?

I know about the same day "lottery" and of course the half-price ticket booth, I was just hoping I could get something more definite in advance.

TIA

vCash
    Try http://www.broadwaybox.com

(as recommended by other FSUers). It's great. It links to many of the other sites that offer discounts, 2 for 1 deals, etc. I don't know how much help it would be for shows that are officially sold out, but if there are any tickets available through any source I'm guessing you could find them here.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I have a friend who's going to NYC and is trying to pulls strings to get tix to The Book of Mormon. She's got an insider working on it for her and it's still iffy.

Good luck!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    genevieve, The tickets are actually easy to get if you want to buy them at regular price. 'Insider' tickets are at a discounted rate or company tickets in a certain location at full price. Makes sense that those would be hard to come by since the company has to share them.

BTW--- if there are no tickets available through the official ticketing site, you WILL NOT get tickets throught TKTS or broadwaybox.com. They only sell tickets there when sales aren't at 100%.

Best way to get tickets to sold out shows is www.stubhub.com.

Good luck!

Demon Barber
    vCash
    All discounts for Mormon have been pulled so if you get a ticket, it'll be full price. I'd say outside of using a broker, check telecharge starting 5 days in advance of the date you want to go and they may release some tickets as the date approaches. They'll likely be top price orch seats though. If not, the only other suggestion I have is to wait in the cancellation line the day of the show and if any tix become available, they'll sell them to you. But that is hit or miss, as you can imagine.

Oh, and hope for horrible weather. That'll increase the chances of cancellation and you getting a ticket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    BTW--- if there are no tickets available through the official ticketing site, you WILL NOT get tickets throught TKTS or broadwaybox.com. They only sell tickets there when sales aren't at 100%.
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

I'll try the other sources though. I don't mind paying a tad extra, just not scalpers' rates.

Thanks all.

p.s. another question: what are the sightlines like at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre? Are the upper Mezzanine seats so far away you might as well not even be there?
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 04-18-2011 at 10:36 PM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    genevieve, The tickets are actually easy to get if you want to buy them at regular price. 'Insider' tickets are at a discounted rate or company tickets in a certain location at full price. Makes sense that those would be hard to come by since the company has to share them.
    These are face value tix, probably company tix being released as you say. her plea was for ANY tickets in any location, so she must not have had luck through other avenues. Could be that she just wasn't looking in the right place, though.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Another place to try is the hotel your staying at. I've gotten tickets that way back in the 90's when I was there and got to see Cats. That was sold out for years.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    p.s. another question: what are the sightlines like at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre? Are the upper Mezzanine seats so far away you might as well not even be there?
    The O'Neill is a smaller Broadway theatre, maybe between 1000-1150 seats, so the sightlines should not be poor from any vantage point.

If your feet can take it, you may want to consider seeing if there standing room only tickets as well. They are only on sale the day-of-show, however. The place where you stand is at the back of the orchestra seats. Not sure of the price; you used to be able to get standing room for like $20, but that was a decade ago. Still, it's a lot cheaper than the $100+ the person sitting in front of you paid.

If you are thinking about a broker, be advised the price will probably be at least 2.5 times the face value for a "hot" show.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Another place to try is the hotel your staying at.
    That would work ... if we were staying in a hotel. But we're not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    If your feet can take it, you may want to consider seeing if there standing room only tickets as well. They are only on sale the day-of-show, however. The place where you stand is at the back of the orchestra seats. Not sure of the price; you used to be able to get standing room for like $20, but that was a decade ago. Still, it's a lot cheaper than the $100+ the person sitting in front of you paid.
    Will keep this in mind, thanks for mentioning it. I didn't know NYC theatres offered standing room. I did that once to try out out live opera in Vienna.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Another place to try is the hotel your staying at. I've gotten tickets that way back in the 90's when I was there and got to see Cats. That was sold out for years.

It's the same there as TKTS or broadwaybox.com. Shows rarely run at 100% capacity pre-box office, but the ones that are close sell out due to TKTS, etc. Cats ran forever, but didn't sell out like a rock concert would. They filled the house with walk ups, lottery, and rush.

vCash
    I've had good luck just standing around at "will call". Sometimes, people buy 4 seats and one couple cancels, so you can buy the spare pair before the show starts. If you're willing to miss the first 15 minutes and stand through the first act, you can buy unclaimed tix.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Will keep this in mind, thanks for mentioning it. I didn't know NYC theatres offered standing room. I did that once to try out out live opera in Vienna.
    Note that not all of them do. It's not always up to date, but here's a good place to check if a show has rush/standing room, etc.

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuz...-Only-Policies

I saw Hairspray from the last row, last seat on the side (lotto) and was fine. It's far, but fine, even w/o binoculars. And my eyesight sucks.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Will keep this in mind, thanks for mentioning it. I didn't know NYC theatres offered standing room.
    Only some have standing room. You need to check if the particular theatre does.

vCash
    We're going to see Book of Mormon in mid-June. We had thought about going earlier, but everything up until the beginning of June is pretty much sold out, as we already know.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Ok, we bit the bullet and bought form Broadwaybox. The tickets themselves weren't to bad, pricewise, but then a $49 service charge + a $40 shipping charge ... I guess we'll be eating hotdogs all week!

At least the Canadian dollar is doing really well right now, a bad exchange rate on top of all that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The show better be great!

Thanks again for your help, everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Ok, we bit the bullet and bought form Broadwaybox. The tickets themselves weren't to bad, pricewise, but then a $49 service charge + a $40 shipping charge ... I guess we'll be eating hotdogs all week!

At least the Canadian dollar is doing really well right now, a bad exchange rate on top of all that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The show better be great!

Thanks again for your help, everyone.
    Sondheim says it's the price and the hassle that people go through nowadays (similar to the hassle and major bucks you had to pay) that give shows and performances standing ovations even if they don't necessarily deserve them.

I hope you have an excellent time.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    Note that not all of them do. It's not always up to date, but here's a good place to check if a show has rush/standing room, etc.

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuz...-Only-Policies
    Thank you! I qualify for Hiptix Would rep you if I could.