vCash

Heir to Ferrero Chocolate dies in accident

This is my favourite brand of chocolate. So thanks to him and his family for one of my favourite guilty pleasures. Pietro Ferrero was in South Africa on business when the accident happened. The compnay also owns Nutella and Kinder Surprise. I'm off to buy some Ferrero chocolates. LOL He was 48. R.I.P.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13122520

vCash
    He was so young. R.I.P.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    This article says he died after a fall from a bicycle during a training ride. I wonder if there was some underlying health cause for the fall, since they didn't say he was hit by a car which is usually what you hear when someone is seriously hurt in a cycling accident.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Wow. Crazy.
    I was paying the perfect tribute and didn't know it: I"ve actually been sitting here eating nutella, on a spoon...and then i read that he died. How coincidental.
    RIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    This article says he died after a fall from a bicycle during a training ride. I wonder if there was some underlying health cause for the fall, since they didn't say he was hit by a car which is usually what you hear when someone is seriously hurt in a cycling accident.
    yes, it was an hearth attack (source: Italian news agencies).
    rip and (((((his family)))))

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    A heart attack? Oh my-was he on a bike? If it was a training ride, I can imagine lots and lots of ways to die rather than getting hit by a car. My husband rode race bikes for decades. He'd ride a century every Saturday (a hundred miler) and I've wiped him up off the pavement and taken him to the hospital more than once. Many broken bones. But no cars! His two worst accidents (which wrecked his racing bike and destroyed his helmet) were caused by dogs. The dogs would be out and not leashed-and would chase the bikers. One dog just literally ran into his bike head on. That was a cracked collar bone-cracked hip-and 3 cracked ribs accident. But he was back on the bike in a week. (I am not lying or exaggerating-cracks, not clear breaks.) Every Tour de France I hold my breath for all of them, and cars are the last thing I worry about.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I know lots of people who have had serious accidents while on a bike, but the only deaths or even comas I've known have been when they were hit by cars. But wearing a helmet can make a huge difference when it comes to saving a life during bad crashes.

I can only recall 4 deaths in the TdF during its history. Two were from crashes before the riders wore helmets, one from a heart attack and recently a female spectator was hit by a police motorbike during the race. I think one rider also drowned on a rest day.

But I agree that the mountain descents can be very scary, and there are some horrific crashes in addition to the usual broken collarbones. I still can't watch the replay from Jens Voigt's crash.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Very sad. RIP. Will honor him by having a few Pocket Coffees tomorrow morning and maybe having some Nutella with Honey Wheat Pretzel braids. We also love all the Kinder chocolate products.

vCash
    RIP

Kinder Surprise certainly was a part of my childhood.

Dogs are a big danger to bikers. Possibly the greatest portuguese cyclist so far, Joaquim Agostinho, died that way, by collinding into a dog.

vCash
    These are not my favorite chocolates. But that's a sad news.
    We all have so many good memories with Kinder Surprise and Nutella !