Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Use the bacon grease to make a thick roux with the dry ingredients and milk......Pour the roux over the cabbage.....
    Your recipe looks delicious, but perhaps somewhat unorthodox in its preparation and directions. A roux is a mixture of flour cooked in fat that is used to thicken liquids; there is no milk in a roux. Moreover, one would generally not add milk until the flour has been cooked in the fat. (The traditional / classic procedure should be to cook the flour in the bacon grease (or butter) and then slowly add the milk while whisking.) Once you have added the milk, it is no longer a "roux" but rather a bechamel. Pepper, paprika and salt can be added either with the flour or after all the milk has been incorporated.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Your recipe looks delicious, but perhaps somewhat unorthodox in its preparation and directions. A roux is a mixture of flour cooked in fat that is used to thicken liquids; there is no milk in a roux. Moreover, one would generally not add milk until the flour has been cooked in the fat. (The traditional / classic procedure should be to cook the flour in the bacon grease (or butter) and then slowly add the milk while whisking.) Once you have added the milk, it is no longer a "roux" but rather a bechamel. Pepper, paprika and salt can be added either with the flour or after all the milk has been incorporated.
    You're right. I should have said make a sauce from the roux.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I'm vegan and I've made this recipe for Easter before:

Potato Pierogi with Caramelized Onions

Highly recommend it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Here you go.
    Thanks so much!! I'm definitely making it. It's quick, easy & really does sound delicious so it's just perfect! Thank you!

vCash
    My Russian Tea Room cookbook has several recipes for delicious salads. One is a yummy and filling potato salad with diced beets and carrots. Does Polish cuisine have similar dishes?

vCash
    There's loads of Polish dishes that are vegetarian!

- pierogi (potato&soft cheese and sauerkraut&mushrooms)
    - kopytka (it's small pieces of cooked pastry) with a mushroom sauce
    - leniwe pierogi (again, small pieces of cooked pastry - those are with soft cheese and sweeter than kopytka)
    - potato cakes
    - pancakes with soft cheese and raisins
    - burgers made from breaded crushed eggs and spring onions

And that's just off the top of my head, there's surely loads more.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    As for golumki/golumpki/golomki. Sometimes a name is so removed from the original I have to read the English description to know what it is.
    I know them as golubtzi. Not even sure if it's Polish or Ukrainian or what but they are delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    - potato cakes
    Do you mean draniki--I think that's the Russian name. They are to die for with sour cream, sort of like latkes.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I know them as golubtzi. Not even sure if it's Polish or Ukrainian or what but they are delicious.
    Gołąbki in Polish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_roll

They are made with minced meat and rice but you could make a vegetarian version, replacing the meat with mushrooms or some veg.

Same goes for Bigos.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Do you mean draniki--I think that's the Russian name. They are to die for with sour cream, sort of like latkes.
    Nope, I mean this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_pancake

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Now I am sad all over again that my favorite Polish restaurant in town closed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    You can just make golubki with rice filling-it's the Lenten way. Or my weirdo vegetarian Ukrainian great-grandmother's all the time way. (Just don't do the fish-base borscht like she did. Mom was off borscht for years because of that one.)

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Mmmmmmm.....bigos......arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh.... ....
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12