Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    Just watched the show, and I'm hooked.

Haven't read the books.

Question: why did Ned take his two daughters to King's Landing? I guess I understand why Sansa went since she's betrothed to Joffrey (sp?), but still not sure why Arya is there. What is her purpose for being there?

To sightsee? Or are the three living there permanently now? Confused on that.

vCash
    I am totally hooked. It's really good stuff. Ordered the first book...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post

Question: why did Ned take his two daughters to King's Landing? I guess I understand why Sansa went since she's betrothed to Joffrey (sp?), but still not sure why Arya is there. What is her purpose for being there?
    The main reason for her travelling South and to the royal court was learning Lady manners (what she really needed ), is something that wasn´t really explained in the show, but that in a Middle Age and Feudalism context makes really sense.

I really liked this episode. I curiously enjoyed a lot those scenes that weren´t directly related to the books, cause we got more exposure to some characters. Like Cersei/Joffrey - aww he wanted to be an absolutist king moving from feudalism then he rants his plan of invasion and killing, so well it´s more a very dumb and brainless project of Absolutist king - King Bob drunken first killing remembrances and Mormont/ uhm not sure which bloodrider (but one) Dothraki fire talk.

Awww Ned gifting dolls to tall and betrothed Sansa, so Ned Dance lessons, now that was a great gift.

Great Tyrion scenes in this episode, loved his interaction with Jon, Benjen and the Night Watch recruiter (than I don´t think was named).

I learnt the actress who played Old Nan died before the show started. A pity, she had such a great voice. I loved her lines with Bran telling him winter (has come ) scary stories.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Just watched the show, and I'm hooked.

Haven't read the books.

To sightsee? Or are the three living there permanently now? Confused on that.
    Originally he wanted to take Bran as well. The reason was that it would be dangerous with the power mad Lannisters and that there was little love lost between Joffrey and Robb. Bran on the other hand is supposed a boy who is easy to love. Ned said that him growing up with the little princes and becoming nearly their brother would make their houses safer for it.

The reason for Arya going was that "she needed refinement".

Robb didn't go so "there is always a Stark in Winterfell" and Rickon - the youngest brother is only a boy of three in the books (and I think about 6 on tv)

vCash

Think of it in modern terms. Ned has essentially received a job transfer, say from NY to LA, and, of course, his whole family is going with him. If Bran weren't injured and unable to be moved, then everyone would be going, but for now the family has to be split. It's not so much of why did Arya go, as why did the others stay behind. At least, that's my take on it.

vCash
    Last night's episode was SO GOOD! I can't get enough of this show, and my friends that watch it, say the same. I think my 3 favorite characters are Tyrion(sp) Lannister, Arya, and Jon Snow. Love that Arya is taking "dance lessons". A lot of foreshadowing going on here.

I like the suspense building as far as what will be faced on the other side of "the wall." The suspense with how Arya will eventually use her sword skills...and why she is such a tough cookie. What will that bring for her in the future, etc. The suspense of wondering how much of a chosen one Jon Snow is. How much power the Lannisters will acquire before someone takes them down a notch. And I have to say I was seriously jealous of Daeny(sp) with Khal Drogo. That looked comfy . Something tells me the Imp won't make it through all the books. So far the only two characters I'm betting on are Arya and Jon Snow. They seem like they have a purpose down the line. This is just going by the TV Show, not the books.

Love it all!!!

vCash
    [QUOTE=Satellitegirl;3168036 Something tells me the Imp won't make it through all the books.
    [/QUOTE]

If he doesn't, it will be a tragedy. He is the most interesting and complex character in a series that is packed with interesting and complex characters.

vCash
    I find him the most charismatic and definitely interesting, but I find Jon(John?) Snow the most interesting, and Arya as well...due to having the feeling that she's going to be a key character down the line. I hope that Tyrion Lannister sticks around though. Love him. He has a good mix of normality and royalty. His Impishness has kept him more humble than the rest of his family, for sure. And like he said, he reads because his intelligence is what makes him special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I find him the most charismatic and definitely interesting, but I find Jon(John?) Snow the most interesting, and Arya as well...due to having the feeling that she's going to be a key character down the line. I hope that Tyrion Lannister sticks around though. Love him. He has a good mix of normality and royalty. His Impishness has kept him more humble than the rest of his family, for sure. And like he said, he reads because his intelligence is what makes him special.
    Agreed with everything!
    re the spelling. it is:
    Jon Snow
    Dany (Daenerys Targaryen)
    Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Talking

Here are some of my impressions/questions etc: (HUGE SPOILERS!)

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Think of it in modern terms. Ned has essentially received a job transfer, say from NY to LA, and, of course, his whole family is going with him.
    Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I was confused exactly what the situation was since half the family moved and the other half stayed.

Plus, the way Lady Stark was protesting in ep. 1 about Ned helping the King, I got the impression only Ned was leaving, and thus would be leaving behind his family and wife.

vCash
    As to last night's episode, I am still waiting to see it. Only I could set the DVR to record the HBO Spanish station when I thought I was recording the HBO HD station. It was hilarious to see Spanish pouring out of Joffrey's mouth, but since I don't understand that language I just gave up. I intend to watch tonight; I finally found the right channel among the hundreds that Time Warner gives me with my digital package.

vCash
    Just so you all will know, there is a character in these books with my same exact first name right down to the spelling! But I'll never tell which one!

vCash
    That episode was way too short. I want more ! I want it nooooow !

Good thing was how they treated the Arya dance lessons. That was one of the key thing I wanted to see and I wasn't deceived.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    As I'm reading along with the books, they're really doing a great job in incorporating important parts into the TV show. I think I noticed a few lines given to different characters, but nothing major.

vCash
    I am completely, utterly addicted. It is so rare to see a show after reading a book, and feel that the characters are just RIGHT.
    I am with the majority here- it's all about Jon, Arya, Dani and Tyrion. They are the bomb LOVE Peter Dinklage playing Tyrion.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I missed the conversations that Tyrion had with Jon on the wall. They included a few of the sentences but I found it so much more moving in the books. It didn't have nearly the same impact in me here.

Other than that I agree. They change things here and there but they do a good job of trying to bring the characters across.

vCash
    This is an excellent site for background information for those who don't want to get spoiled:
    http://www.westeros.org/GoT/

For instance, all characters that are cast, are described and the name of the actor/actress is given. The basic background of the character is given as well but not what happens in later books.

vCash
    I just wished they had a POV chapter for Robb. He is a main character but we never get to see things from his side. And Samwell is my most boring POV character. LOL

vCash

Spoiler

But it's all spoilers non ?
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast