Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    All I can say is

That episode was awesome!!

vCash
    More than 2/3 through book 3. Reactions: :

WHAT A FREAKING BOOK!!! Still not reading the spoilers here and didn't watch tonight's episode yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    More than 2/3 through book 3. Reactions: :

WHAT A FREAKING BOOK!!! Still not reading the spoilers here and didn't watch tonight's episode yet.
    I think I know where you are.

((dbell))

Will see the last episode tonight!!

vCash
    I'm kind of glad I'm not surpassing the TV show with my reading, because I like the "holy crap" moments while watching the show. However the first book keeps getting better as I get further into it...so I'm not sure how long that will last. I'm reading more than just a little at a time now.

vCash
    I finished the three first books. But I have to say - it kind of reduces my enjoyment of the TV-show. In the book everything seems grander, flashier. I still enjoyed the last episode though.

vCash
    I think considering Rome only lasted 2 seasons, they're being smart in not overdoing it production-wise. They have to keep costs down so they can keep the series going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    I finished the three first books. But I have to say - it kind of reduces my enjoyment of the TV-show. In the book everything seems grander, flashier. I still enjoyed the last episode though.
    I'm having a real problem getting into the TV series; the books are SOOO good that I just feel like I'm watching a boring, diet version of the real thing. I am currently 2 episodes behind because I just don't care enough.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    It's the same with the Eragorn saga. When will he release his book ?!
    This summer.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I'm having a real problem getting into the TV series; the books are SOOO good that I just feel like I'm watching a boring, diet version of the real thing.
    I didn't feel that in the least when I watched the show without any context of the books. I was totally riveted by it and every episode thus far...but now that I'm almost done reading the first book (I couldn't resist picking it up and reading ahead), that feeling you mentioned struck me in full force while I watched the latest episode last night.

And that makes me sad, because it's not the show's fault. For all intents and purposes it's a great adaptation, but it just utterly pales in comparison to the richness of the books.

With context now, I sometimes wonder if the show is being a little too faithful to the plot, not allowing it to breathe more as its own entity, but then I remind myself that it all seemed new and fresh and awesome to me when I didn't have the books to compare it with--so it's just my perception.

I thought maybe, going forward, I'll watch the show first and then read the books to "fill-in-the-blanks," but the thought of waiting a year to see what happens in the 2nd book/season 2 would be torture.

Book 1 is almost finished and I'm all

I'm so so happy I have 4 massive books ahead of me to read for the first time ever after I'm done reading this one.

vCash
    I'm hoping to read book 2 soon enough that I forget a lot of the bits before season 2 of the series starts. That way it won't affect me much, making comparisons.

Granted I know people who love the books, and are loving the series(and not thinking it pales). It's just a matter of how much you built up the scenery/scenes in your mind, from the book, and how much you expect it to be alike.

vCash
    Of course the series pales in comparison to the books. I never expected otherwise because it is just not possible to bring the richness of the characters and emotions onto the screen.
    But because I never expected it, I think the series does an awesome job with the obvious limitations tv has in comparison with a book.
    For instance with Harry Potter I felt completely different. I thought they were not able to capture the essence of the books at all. everything I loved about HP was done away with in the movies and I stopped watching them altogether after the fourth movie.

But here I think the essence or at least some of it is captured and therefore I enjoy the series on it's own.
    But to be honest: I would always recommend reading the books first because in my opinion the whole impact can only be appreciated there. That does not mean that I enjoy the tv series any less!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I'm hoping to read book 2 soon enough that I forget a lot of the bits before season 2 of the series starts. That way it won't affect me much, making comparisons.
    Sounds like a plan.

So far the series is still covering the part of the first book that I already read, but I read it a couple years ago so I don't remember too many details, just major plot points and characters.

I think I'll watch the end of this season without knowing what to expect, and then try to finish the book and start the second one if I feel like it, well before the second season of the show.

vCash
    Yeah, as far as disappointment goes, I've never had the problem with going "oh they didn't do<insert thing from the book>"...mainly because I just look at them as two separate things, and I'm so thrilled with the fact that they are made into a movie or tv series, that I don't get too picky.

vCash
    Not me. I'm GLAD I know what's coming. It was bad enough reading the book, if I had to see it ... Plus, I had a really hard time keeping up with the characters, names, who was loyal/who seemed to be loyal to whom. It's amazing how enjoyable it all is when you know who's who.

I'm a very enthusiasitc TV/movie watcher and tend to yelp/scream/cry/hurl insults all at the volume dial set at 12. I get into it enough knowing what's coming.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Not me. I'm GLAD I know what's coming. It was bad enough reading the book, if I had to see it ... Plus, I had a really hard time keeping up with the characters, names, who was loyal/who seemed to be loyal to whom. It's amazing how enjoyable it all is when you know who's who.

I'm a very enthusiasitc TV/movie watcher and tend to yelp/scream/cry/hurl insults all at the volume dial set at 12. I get into it enough knowing what's coming.
    I LOVE these books and am well into book 4. I am also very glad I know what's coming so I can have time brace myself for all the twists and turns to come.

vCash
    Finally watched last night's episode today. Either I totally skipped a portion of the book or I had no idea that Renley and the Lord of the Flowers were so, um, close?

Some very nice touches there. Robert & Cersei's talk was so well done - bravo to the actors. ICK to Lyssa and her son. Cat looked gobsmacked that her sister was such a freaking loon. Serves her right to not keep closer tabs on sis BEFORE taking her prisoner there. (Yep, I still don't like her.)

to the set design/fx people - the sky cells were amazing!

"King's Hand" tourney looked quite brutal. (((horse))) at Mountain. Finally saw how big he was. Loved how Cersei wasn't there the second day. Son came in to watch it with me and went 'you like animals too much to see this show'. No direwolves this episode? Or did I miss them again?

Grrr to having Ned not get crushed under a horse and instead stabbed by some random guard. I had too many flashes of Boromir and the Uuk-hai battling.

Book wise, I've got about 200 pages left in #3. This book is killing me. Was up until 1:30 reading last night and only gave up when words stopped making sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Yeah, as far as disappointment goes, I've never had the problem with going "oh they didn't do<insert thing from the book>"...mainly because I just look at them as two separate things, and I'm so thrilled with the fact that they are made into a movie or tv series, that I don't get too picky.
    That´s how I approach TV shows and movie adaptations too. I just demand some respect too the sense of the story and characters personalities, but I can deal with some changes (even missing character, cut secondary plots, etc) because media demands.

Now, HBO show producers were also related to an adaptation that got really bad on my nerves (Troy movie) so I had some fears, but honestly I think that being a short season (10 episodes, if I´m not wrong) they are getting the rights note of the main stories.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Finally watched last night's episode today. Either I totally skipped a portion of the book or I had no idea that Renley and the Lord of the Flowers were so, um, close?
    I just finished Book One a couple of days ago, and I didn't see that in there. It couldn't have been in there--neither Renley nor Lord of the Flowers had their own chapter. The first book hinted at another character *I think* liking the same sex, but it wasn't a major character (at least, not as far as the first book). Pretty sure HBO just added that in there--maybe something develops on that end later in the books? Or HBO just decided it would be more interesting. I'm down either way.

I still don't get the hate for Catelyn. LOVE her--in some ways, I find her actions the most understandable out of anyone in the book, and I like that she's not always right. Not always right in a big, big way.

Spoiler to end of book one:

Spoiler

I'm not going to get too deep into the second book until summer officially starts--it's wreaking havoc with my sleep schedule. I stay up late because I just HAVE TO KNOW.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I just hope Lady Stark dies. Women like that irritate me. She's so freaking emotional and acts without notice of consequence. It's like Heffa do you really think that the Queen's family is gonna allow you to punish them for hurting your son? Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

It goes with her being nasty and stupid with Jon Snow. He's your husband's illegimate son. The boy is almost 20, get over it already!!!!
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsparky View Post
    That´s how I approach TV shows and movie adaptations too. I just demand some respect too the sense of the story and characters personalities, but I can deal with some changes (even missing character, cut secondary plots, etc) because media demands.

Now, HBO show producers were also related to an adaptation that got really bad on my nerves (Troy movie) so I had some fears, but honestly I think that being a short season (10 episodes, if I´m not wrong) they are getting the rights note of the main stories.

Just to let you know, HBO is known for allowing the creators of the shows full access to what they want to do.

There are new execs since Rome was cancelled. The men who turned down Mad Men and cancelled Rome are GONE.
    HBO apparently agreed to move ahead with the series if David Chase(producer of Sopranos) would come on board as a producer (Matthew Weiner, a sometime Sopranos writer, is the series’ creator). Although Chase trumpeted the script, his reticence to become involved creatively eventually killed the series at HBO.
    Last edited by topaz; 05-17-2011 at 02:43 AM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast