Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I missed the conversations that Tyrion had with Jon on the wall. They included a few of the sentences but I found it so much more moving in the books. It didn't have nearly the same impact in me here.

Other than that I agree. They change things here and there but they do a good job of trying to bring the characters across.
    Yes, I agree. The show made the point, but had to do it very fast; in the book their conversations and bonding are deeply significant and very moving.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I'm into book 3 now. Trying to pace my reading since I now know how long people have waited for new books in the series.

vCash
    Wow dbell...I'm not even halfway through the first lol. I read a little and put a book down, though.

vCash
    I'm well into the 3rd book as well and anxious to finish read all the available book including the yet to be release book 5. I would like nothing better than to finish readin gall the books in the series but I know once I am done I probably will not get to know how it all ends up for many years to come which is too bad. But I am hooked and just cannot stop myself so no pacing for me. New episode tomorrow!

vCash
    Tonight's episode didn't have quite as much excitement in it, but I liked Daeny telling whatshisface that she's cut off his hands if he hit her again.

Interesting ending, too! I haven't reached that part in the book where Catelyn calls out Tyrion...was that like the books? It seemed like something that might have deviated a bit, but I wasn't sure.

vCash
    I haven't seen this week's episode yet but I am almost done with book 3 so I am no spoiling myself much by reading the thread. LOL But if you are talking about their chance meeting in the inn, yeah that was in there. LOL

vCash
    My mom started reading the books so she could understand what was going on in the show. Needless to say, she's hooked.

vCash
    I have not read any of the spoilers and have taken seriously the warning not to get too hooked to any one characater as they will start dropping like flies at some point. However it is hard to think we might lose the four that are most often mentioned here: Jon, Arya, Dany and Tyrion. And for me also: the remaining dire wolves. I don't know if this is a spoiler but does Jon's wolf have a name? I'm also curious about the "bastard" swordsmith....Does HBO ever miss?

vCash
    Jon's wolf is named Ghost. Not a spoiler. I wasn't aware it wasn't mentioned yet. He named him Ghost for his white fur and because he is the only one of the pups that is completely quiet and never gives a loud.

I think the warnings were a bit unfair in a way as they were in a way spoilers itself. Get attached to the characters. Even those that don't die have happiness and struggles and you can only live them with the characters if you get attached to them, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I have not read any of the spoilers and have taken seriously the warning not to get too hooked to any one characater as they will start dropping like flies at some point. However it is hard to think we might lose the four that are most often mentioned here: Jon, Arya, Dany and Tyrion. And for me also: the remaining dire wolves. I don't know if this is a spoiler but does Jon's wolf have a name? I'm also curious about the "bastard" swordsmith....Does HBO ever miss?

Spoiler

I must confess that I think the actors choosen to play Sensa, Robb, Jon are a tab bit too old. It is obvious they are in their 20s but the characters are supposed to be in their mid teens.

vCash
    Just watched the last episode. The taking of Tyrion was pretty much ad verbatim to the books.

Sam was a disappointment to me. I pictured him totally different. Fatter, blond and much more likeable. This "lusty" talk about women was so out of character for him. He is afraid of women like of everything else.

And that Littlefinger told Sansa about Gregor Clegane burning his little brother The Hound, Sandor Clegane. I found it so important that Sandor told her himself.

I think this was the first episode I didn't really like. So much seemed rushed or even wrong.

Loved Arya's "That is not me", though. Maisie Williams is an amazing actress! She is exactly like I pictured Arya.

vCash
    Thank you for the updates: I wish we could do two episodes at a time. I know the books were popular before but I can't imagine the author thought he would suddenly blow up even more and so quickly.

vCash
    Sam was a disappointment to me. I pictured him totally different. Fatter, blond and much more likeable. This "lusty" talk about women was so out of character for him. He is afraid of women like of everything else.
    I haven't read the books, but I thought Sam was great and a welcomed addition to the cast of characters.

I loved that conversation between him and Jon--funny, but also touching in what it revealed about both characters. Totally digging what seems to be a budding friendship.

Then again, Sam doesn't look like he's going to survive for very long in that harsh environment, even with Jon's protection.

In any case, what I like about Sam is that he is yet another sympathetic character who doesn't fit into the rigid expectations imposed on him by his environment.

That's what I'm loving about this series: most of it is from the POV of the "misfits"--characters like Jon, Arya, Sam, Tyrion, etc.--who are all trying to navigate in a world that doesn't understand or accept them by one standard or another.

And who can't relate or indentify with that struggle?

vCash

I think this was the first episode I didn't really like. So much seemed rushed or even wrong.
    Well, I have not had a chance to watch this episode yet, but so far, I am not liking the show at all. I'm finding all of it rushed, I think a lot of the casting is off the mark, and the whole thing, to me, is coming off like a diet version of the real thing.

Love the books, but not the TV adaptation.

vCash
    This episode reminded me of waiting in a boring line for a death defying roller coaster ride. You know something's coming, but you have to deal with getting strapped in, tons of waiting and lots of instructions.

I rewatched Dany slapping the 'dragon' a few times. AWESOME! Even better than Tyrion Geoffery.

Oh, and I echo what Hedwig said for this episode. All of it.

vCash
    This episode was wrong from start to finish.
    I am truly disapointed in Sandor Clegane. One of my favorite characters.

And Sam ? WTF ? He's not likable AT ALL.

The only good part, was the end with Lady Cat taking in tynion Lanister, nearly as in the books.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I haven't read the books, but I thought Sam was great and a welcomed addition to the cast of characters.

I loved that conversation between him and Jon--funny, but also touching in what it revealed about both characters. Totally digging what seems to be a budding friendship.

Then again, Sam doesn't look like he's going to survive for very long in that harsh environment, even with Jon's protection.

In any case, what I like about Sam is that he is yet another sympathetic character who doesn't fit into the rigid expectations imposed on him by his environment.

That's what I'm loving about this series: most of it is from the POV of the "misfits"--characters like Jon, Arya, Sam, Tyrion, etc.--who are all trying to navigate in a world that doesn't understand or accept them by one standard or another.

And who can't relate or indentify with that struggle?
    It is great to hear that from someone who hasn't read the books. I feared that Sam would only be understandable for people who already know him but it seems like he came about right after all (at least for some of us. )

Re the struggles and misfit character: Yes, I like that too about the books. You don't get the story from the rich and beautiful but from real people. And the pretty people are not always the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Oh, and I echo what Hedwig said for this episode. All of it.
    You really are my alter ego!
    Are you still in book 3? Savour it - I think book 3 is my favorite of the series so far.

vCash
    BAH. Damn you, damn you all. The promise of too many characters, overly complicated storylines, and scenery was just too damned tempting. I broke down and watched the first episode today.

Twas a bit embarrassing watching it in broad daylight at my parent's house because of course my dad walked in during the dwarf menage-a-many. I wasn't sure I'd like it--honestly, I was both icked out and slightly bored by the first twenty minutes, but once I accepted I'd never know who was who and Cathy and Chris showed up, I knew I was in it for the long haul.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    BAH. Damn you, damn you all. The promise of too many characters, overly complicated storylines, and scenery was just too damned tempting. I broke down and watched the first episode today.

vCash
    Hedwig - still in book #3 and have pre-ordered #5 from Amazon. Had to put #3 up since I need to read my son's 9th grade book. Have to quiz the little brat on it and it looks good (The Giver) so it's back to 'teen lit' for me.

Matry - welcome to the cult of thrones. We have cookies. And direwolves...

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast