Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I understand why she would be upset but to take her anger out on an innocent child still after so many years is mean. Especially when he was leaving and trying to say goodbye to Bran on his sick bed. She got what she wanted and that is Jon sent away at last never to return and neither will he ever marry and have children of his own to lay claim to his father's estate so why not just be civil on the last occasion she will ever see him? Catelyn is definitely not my favourite character but I think the book would not be the same is lil Jon had an angel for a step mother. His treatment is the main reason he wanted to leave and his becoming a Night Watcher is one of the main catalyst for events in the book. LOL
    Regarding a whole lot of Jon's future and the reason Ned is highly unforthcoming about his parentage--uh...well. Spoilers, as River Song of Doctor Who might say. *bites tongue hard*

And really, Catelyn's response is NOT out of keeping with many, many MANY people's real-life reaction to their spouse having a bastard child that was almost certainly concieved after their marriage. No, it's not the kid's fault, but they're an ugly reminder of infidelity.

Plus, if you decide you REALLY don't like Catelyn (feelings on characters tend to change in this series)...well, you've got a lot to look forward to!

vCash
    I'm 350 pages into book 1 (very tired eyes) and am kicking myself for not having found these books sooner. And I really don't like Catelyn.

Back later with more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I'm 350 pages into book 1 (very tired eyes) and am kicking myself for not having found these books sooner. And I really don't like Catelyn.

Back later with more
    Wheeee, that makes me happy!!

I also don't like Catelyn. And that does not change for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Wheeee, that makes me happy!!

I also don't like Catelyn. And that does not change for me.
    I'm really out of step with everyone else I guess. I don't get all this Catelyn dislike, especially compared to some of the other characters in the books.

vCash
    Give me time to hate others, I'm sure my Visrerys dislike will grow too.

vCash
    She is by no means a favorite character, but I don't hate her. I can understand where she is coming from(so far, anyhow). If I *hate* anyone, it's Cersei and Joffrey. I don't see that changing, either.

vCash
    I like Catelyn , not so much all her decisions and choices (some of them are completely ), but her personality and character in general.

I think TV Catelyn, right now, is even more likable than Catelyn in the book, at this stage of the story. The actress is doing a great work IMO, her animosity against Jon was really well expressed.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    At a certain point, I feel sorry for Cersei because she is not as smart as she thinks she is. But like? Too strong a word.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Regarding a whole lot of Jon's future and the reason Ned is highly unforthcoming about his parentage--uh...well. Spoilers, as River Song of Doctor Who might say. *bites tongue hard*

Spoiler

And really, Catelyn's response is NOT out of keeping with many, many MANY people's real-life reaction to their spouse having a bastard child that was almost certainly concieved after their marriage. No, it's not the kid's fault, but they're an ugly reminder of infidelity.
    Yeah I know. I cannot even count the number of real life situations like that I have come across in my life so far.

Plus, if you decide you REALLY don't like Catelyn (feelings on characters tend to change in this series)...well, you've got a lot to look forward to!

Spoiler

I hope you guys know that FSU is responsible for me getting hooked on this series. Both book and tv series. LOL I was prepared to ignore the series or at least wait until in was on DVD until I read this thread and curiosity got my me good.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    You have to remember, they are married a very short time when Ned goes off to war. Catelyn is left home alone and pregnant; she gives birth without her husband there and then when he finally returns he is bringing along a bastard he had by another woman (or so we are meant to think). From her point of view, not a great way to start off a marriage, and since Ned will not confide in her and tell her who Jon's mother is, her resentment grows.
    I get that, but it's still childish to transfer disappointment of one's husband to the treatment of his son. Her behavior shows signs of jealously.

But this happens everyday, which is really really sad.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I adore this new series and thank those that have read the books that warned us not to get too attatched to anyone though I already like "Bastard", "Dwarf", and the ornery, brave Arya (sp?) And the dire wovles. I suspect I will be reading the books as well. I am out of work at the moment but just cannot give up HBO because of their own productions: Loved the last season of Big Love and cannot let go after this series because True Blood returns. ARGH!

vCash
    Finished book 1 last night. Reactions: and some thrown in.

Only have one burning question: How the hell are people living with the wait between books?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I get that, but it's still childish to transfer disappointment of one's husband to the treatment of his son. Her behavior shows signs of jealously.

But this happens everyday, which is really really sad.
    Meh. It's hardwired into our genes--you don't want to raise some other person's kid and blow your resources on offspring in which you have no investment. Humans have bigger brains so they create a 'social' aspect that seems mean, but it's nicer than what most animals will do when moving into a new breeding situation (off the offspring--esepecially our close relatives, like chimps and gorillas, first order of business for a dominant male is kill the young of the previous breeding male so they're not wasting energy on them.) Some people are better at conditioning the response out of them, but disliking a partner's offspring from another mate, sometimes violently, is really the more natural reaction. Humans are actually really good at suppressing our instincts there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Finished book 1 last night. Reactions: and some thrown in.

Only have one burning question: How the hell are people living with the wait between books?
    You will get the answer to that question after July 12th when you have to wait with the rest of us.

I filled the time with skating and constant re-reads.

Very glad you liked it so much!!

vCash
    Taking into consideration the next instalment of the series took six years to write, I guess that means book six will also take six years? Guess I will have to re-read LOTRs in the meantime. LOL
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Taking into consideration the next instalment of the series took six years to write, I guess that means book six will also take six years? Guess I will have to re-read LOTRs in the meantime. LOL
    Oh, I hope not....

vCash
    There is always Janny Wurts and her Wars of Light and Shadow epic that has also been going on for quite some time and has at least 6 or 7 books in the series published so far. It starts with Curse of the Mistwraith and is my other favorite series after Game of Thrones.

Meanwhile, back to the HBO series; granted, we have only had 2 episodes so far, but the more I see of it the less I like it. I'm giving it 2 more episodes and if I still don't like it after that I'm canceling HBO and sticking with the books. Watching the TV series is like reading Cliff Notes lite for me and I am not on board with a lot of the casting. Sorry, devoted fans, but it just isn't working for me.

vCash
    Martin insists that he ran into trouble when the 4th book had to be split into two separate books since it got too long to be published on its own. And then, instead of dividing it down the middle based on how much he had written thus far and how much he still planned to write, he started dividing it up by characters and location. (Plot intricacies aside, I wasn't too happy when he was posting lengthy not-a-blog entries about the Jets off season trading moves and all I wanted was a finished book 5.).

Could just be a case of me being in denial, but I believe him -especially when he said the next books should be a lot more straightforward to write

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Oh, I believe him, and I don't blame him at all for blogging about things unrelated to the book. It's not a fun project, it's his job, so he can't do it ALL the time.

I just wish he'd maybe...pare down the number of characters involved? It gets to the point where I want "What happened to so-and-so" but we have to check in with this person and that person and introduce some totally new player and now it's four hundred pages later and I can't even remember what I was curious about in the first place.

vCash
    My friend recommended http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alera the Codex Alera series. I'll probably be reading that after I catch up on Game of Thrones and the following books.

"The series chronicles the coming-of-age of a young man named Tavi in the realm of Alera, an empire similar to Rome, on the world of Carna. Every Aleran has some degree of command over elemental forces or spirits called furies, save for Tavi, who is considered a freak. As the aging First Lord struggles to maintain his hold on a realm on the brink of civil war, Tavi must use all of his intelligence to save Alera."

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast