Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Who is to say her album wont have songs that you all consider good pop music? Remember, we have only heard 2 singles. Singles are the songs picked from the album most likely to get radio play. You have to put something out there that is currently "in" or radio will blacklist you in a heartbeat. Don't assume just because she is Gaga that radio will play anything. Plenty of people have fallen from grace so quickly. Kelly Clarkson endured it after all her success with Breakaway and many other artists have seen it happen to them. Gaga has to toe the line like any other artist. If you don't like the music on your radio you should really blame radio programmers everywhere, not the artists.
    Which is why I listen to "pop" radio hardly at all, Brian. There are other stations which play recordings by "real" singers that had to develop and use their vocal talents before AutoTune - and AutoTuned, preprogrammed, sample-surrounded singers are virtually all I hear these days on "pop" radio.

My opinion is that LG is not so "cutting edge" and individualistic, or powerful in the music industry, as her hype or ego would indicate - or hadn't you been able to figure that out yet?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Actually, even Ke$ha can carry a tune and write a song that isn't about partying/booze/Mick Jagger!

You would never know this was Ke$ha
    That was actually really good!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Nothing makes me more and over people who talk about how music was so much better back in their day (ie, when they weren't old and bitter ).

I swear if I ever utter the words "there are no real singers or musicians any more", please feel free to collectively shoot me.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Nothing makes me more and over people who talk about how music was so much better back in their day (ie, when they weren't old and bitter ).

I swear if I ever utter the words "there are no real singers or musicians any more", please feel free to collectively shoot me.
    Haha, I'm hardly old or bitter, and that's not what I'm saying at all. Unless you count her "The Fame" album as "back in the day."

I just want her to make music that I want to listen to over and over and over again. In fact, I don't want her to sound like "back in the day," because I hate 80s pop.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I have news for you, Mister Man. Some of us were ALWAYS bitter.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

Yeah, I was out at Coachella this weekend and there were plenty of real singers and musicians. There have always been both manufactured pop stars and real singers and musicians and, unfortunately, manufactured pop stars have, much of the time, dominated the charts.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    And what's more, if she is in charge of her own production and decides what kind of sound she wants to make, why not lead her "little monsters" along to something different from, and better than, the rest of the pop shite that's played now?
    With the first two singles from Lady Gaga's new album, she has challenged society's outdated beliefs more than most any musical artist will in their entire careers. What kind of pop song has had lyrics like "Born This Way" (let along a song that went to #1 for multiple weeks on the pop charts)?

Don't be a drag, just be a queen
    Whether you're broke or evergreen
    You're black, white, beige, chola descent
    You're lebanese, you're orient

Whether life's disabilities
    Left you outcast, bullied, or teased
    Rejoice and love yourself today
    'Cause baby you were born this way

No matter gay, straight, or bi,
    Lesbian, transgendered life
    I'm on the right track baby
    I was born to survive
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Loving "Judas"!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    As soon as I saw the song title on ITunes, I thought...

She knows it's almost Easter, check.
    She knows there's nothing better than pissing off religious people for getting press, check.
    And she knows that Madonna doubled her sales of "Like a Prayer" with the yucky video with the stigmata, and the more religious people howled, the more she sold.

Just another day in the music business.
    Sadly, I agree with you. I'd like to think otherwise, but the cynic in me just can't.

Too bad. She's actually talented. I wish she'd just rely on that.

The problem with all the crazy outfits and fashion too is that she has to keep outdoing herself. It's expected of her. She can't just go back to singing at a piano (not easily anyway).
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Too bad. She's actually talented. I wish she'd just rely on that.
    But she can't. Didn't she try that and not get anywhere? Unfortunately, it's the gimmicks that get draw the attention and, hence, revenue. Unfortunately, talent isn't enough for the recording industry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    But she can't. Didn't she try that and not get anywhere? Unfortunately, it's the gimmicks that get draw the attention and, hence, revenue. Unfortunately, talent isn't enough for the recording industry.
    You're right. I was just watching Poe on YouTube and she sort of reminded me of Gaga without the theatrics. She is very talented but basically went nowhere. Maybe if she would have pulled out her meat dress she would have gotten more notice.
    Team Peeps!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    But then look at Adele. She is all talent, and I'm sure making plenty of $$$.

But not as much as Gaga, admittedly.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Lady Gaga is very talented. This is from the Today Show. FF to about 2:45. The interview beforehand she is really annoying LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HSex-i6z4w

This is the video of Speechless that i think someone else was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvU...eature=related

Katy Perry and Kesha really are not on the same level as her as far as actual talent.

vCash

Or when they are so saddened that the music industry only appeals to the teen/tween demographic. I mean, that has been the case since the beginning of the recorded music industry. Record companies and artists know where the most money is...teen girls.

Anyway, with the advent of the internet (youtube, npr.org, itunes, wikipedia, etc.), it's not nearly as difficult to find "quality" music nor are we as dependent on MTV and radio stations (which all seem to be owned by Clear Channel now).

I admit I still like to bitch about Justin Bieber and I hate that MTV doesn't play music anymore because I got a lot of my exposure to "older" music and artists through them, but I also understand it's a different world now and young music fans will find older artists if they choose to look.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    With the first two singles from Lady Gaga's new album, she has challenged society's outdated beliefs more than most any musical artist will in their entire careers. What kind of pop song has had lyrics like "Born This Way" (let along a song that went to #1 for multiple weeks on the pop charts)?
    But you're assuming that the majority of people listening to her music actually pay detailed attention to the lyrics and more importantly, take it to heart. I've heard Born this Way a couple of times, but all I can remember lyric-wise from it are somewhat inconsequential bits like "don't be a drag, be a queen." and "I was born this way".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But you're assuming that the majority of people listening to her music actually pay detailed attention to the lyrics and more importantly, take it to heart. I've heard Born this Way a couple of times, but all I can remember lyric-wise from it are somewhat inconsequential bits like "don't be a drag, be a queen." and "I was born this way".
    Perhaps. It's up to the listener at that point.

However, I do have to give credit to Gaga for putting her money where her mouth is. She donates a ton to LGBT activities, went out on the road and gave speeches in Maine, and cancelled her lucrative Target deal over their anti-gay political donations.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Adele, who I think is the finest singer perhaps in decades, is like a fine wine. Gaga, Ke$ha, and Katy Perry are more like a vodka-Red Bull. There's no law saying you can't have both in the same night, though you may feel queasy if you experience them back to back.

I love Gaga. She knows how to create a catchy beat and come up with adrenaline-pumping, catchy, danceable songs. Each of her songs is like a short little love affair. I'll listen to it about 500 times in close succession and then move on to the next one. I don't care how similar each is to the last. I've listened to Judas about 200 times already, so 300 to go.

Ke$ha is a freakin' genius who is laughing all the way to the bank. Never has someone done so much with so little, without having a single shred of originality, and while being such an obvious in-your-face faker. I'm repulsed by her, yet I still buy her music... It's catchy!

Katy Perry, in my opinion, has been hurt by Glee doing most of her songs better than she can! I have their versions and not hers on my iPod.

vCash
    She's going in circles now. Not only copying others but herself and getting to the point with her image where it's going to be hard for her to provoke a reaction anymore.

The verses are ok but the chorus sounds like from a Eurovision song and the two don't fit together at all.

I find that people who say that usually don't know shit about music.

I mean if you actually were more or less in touch with what was coming out, you'd always find lots of good stuff, regardless what year it was.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    But then look at Adele. She is all talent, and I'm sure making plenty of $$$.
    Pretty voice, very bland songs. Zzzzzz...
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-25-2011 at 01:48 AM.

vCash
    I know this is GaGa thread, but I'm echoing Adele love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    I know this is GaGa thread, but I'm echoing Adele love
    Adele reminds me of Lisa Stansfield. "Lisa who?", you might ask. Exactly !
    I mean it's too soon to say but Adele's songs are very Stansfield-esque in the sense that while I recognize that she has a powerful voice, I don't find the songs very catchy or worthy of repeated listening.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast