Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Kristi's written a book

Dream Big, Little Pig -- a children's book. Cute picture of Kristi and the girls in the article.

http://newark.patch.com/articles/fig...ig-in-new-book. It says she's going on a book tour.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Her official site has info on her upcoming appearances...

http://kristiyamaguchi.com/

Looks like a cute book!

vCash
    The book sounds cute and all, but honestly, what special expertise does Kristi have to be writing a "children's book"? Maybe you don't really need any. Regardless, why should someone buy Kristi's book as opposed to, say, Jane Smith's children's book??

This sounds like one of those "I'm good at one thing; therefore I must be good at other things!" projects that athletes/celebrities like to take on. BTW, I hear that Tonya has a cookbook coming out soon too. It's called Your Goose Is Cooked.

vCash
    I'm thinking of going to the signing at The Grove on Monday. Anyone other SoCal FSUers planning to be there?

vCash
    @AnnM-yes, I think so! Not 100% but I'm pretty sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Regardless, why should someone buy Kristi's book as opposed to, say, Jane Smith's children's book??
    My sister is basically the Jane Smith who has written several children's books but can't get any publishers interested. These days you have to be a celebrity (or otherwise be well-connected) before you can get the book publishers and agents to take a chance on you. I guess crappy books by celebrities fly off the shelves faster than well-written books by unknown people.

That said, Kristi's book does sound cute. I may check it out next time I make it into a bookstore.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    My sister is basically the Jane Smith who has written several children's books but can't get any publishers interested. These days you have to be a celebrity (or otherwise be well-connected) before you can get the book publishers and agents to take a chance on you.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

I guess crappy books by celebrities fly off the shelves faster than well-written books by unknown people.
    Unfortunately. And many of those celeb books are ghostwritten, I'm sure.

That said, Kristi's book does sound cute. I may check it out next time I make it into a bookstore.
    As children's books go, it does sound like a pretty good one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    The book sounds cute and all, but honestly, what special expertise does Kristi have to be writing a "children's book"? Maybe you don't really need any. Regardless, why should someone buy Kristi's book as opposed to, say, Jane Smith's children's book??

This sounds like one of those "I'm good at one thing; therefore I must be good at other things!" projects that athletes/celebrities like to take on. BTW, I hear that Tonya has a cookbook coming out soon too. It's called Your Goose Is Cooked.
    How about we read the book before we make judgment calls about Kristi's qualifications as a writer.

Being a celebrity helps a person get published, but then I also see so many horribly-written books by non-celebrities that get published and sell really well because of a niche market and some fantastic books that hardly get any attention. But then there are times where an unknown writes something, then it becomes a sensation or at least respected by literary circles. Like when an unknown author named Paul Harding whose book, Tinkers, was just another, small-marketed book put out by a very small publishing company, then it won the Pulitzer and demand exceeded supply for a while. Basically, publishing is almost like any business in the arts.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Santa Rosa (CA) Press Democrat article: Yamaguchi's work far from over
    ...The path less taken has now become the path so well-traveled, Yamaguchi has great hopes for her foundation eclipsing her skating fame.

“I hope my foundation creates a legacy that lives longer than me,” she said.

“Always Dream” sent $10,000 to Japan for the tsunami survivors. Part of the proceeds from her children's book will go there as well. She is obsessed with increasing the literacy in America, that “if you are reading below grade level by the third grade, the odds go up dramatically you won't finish high school.”

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Considering the devastation, I'm afraid $10,000 isn't going to go very far.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    How about we read the book before we make judgment calls about Kristi's qualifications as a writer.
    You don't really need to read someone's book to find out what his or her qualifications are. For instance, if Tonya published a cookbook, we would all know that she has no (to our knowledge, at least) formal culinary experience. And many people would prefer to buy a book by someone who has formal training--or at least significant real-life experience. At the same time, it's possible that someone like Tonya, with little or no experience, could publish a cookbook that lots of people would love, while a trained chef might publish a book that would get panned by most readers on Amazon. So, there's no guarantee either way. All I'm saying is that I can't think of a solid reason to take a look at Kristi's book before looking at others. I'm not judging the quality of the book, because I haven't read it. It may be a wonderful book, and it sounds cute. So, I say if someone is inclined to read it, go for it. But I personally need more than a celebrity name to make me want to take a look at a book.

Being a celebrity helps a person get published, but then I also see so many horribly-written books by non-celebrities that get published and sell really well because of a niche market and some fantastic books that hardly get any attention.
    True.

But then there are times where an unknown writes something, then it becomes a sensation or at least respected by literary circles. Like when an unknown author named Paul Harding whose book, Tinkers, was just another, small-marketed book put out by a very small publishing company, then it won the Pulitzer and demand exceeded supply for a while. Basically, publishing is almost like any business in the arts.
    Is Paul related to Tonya? That's refreshing when things like that happen. And didn't Justin Bieber's success come the same way? Of course, I can't comment on his music, because I've never heard it.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I guess the important thing is to look at it from the total number of donations being offered.
    Anything would help, I'm sure.

I know that on my limited budget, if I could donate that kind of money, I would.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 03-21-2011 at 12:46 AM.

vCash
    She finished the day at Copperfield's, then drove down to San Francisco for a telethon to raise money for the Japanese tsunami victims, still following the advice her parents gave her as a child.

“If I am to do anything,” said Yamaguchi, “I need to do it 110 percent.”

Her resume, however, indicates she's driving the needle to 150 percent. Actress, author of two books, “Dancing” champion, producer of a soon-to-be released exercise video, running her charitable “Always Dream” foundation, mother of two girls, Olympic champion, two-time world champion, Yamaguchi looked Friday as if she just returned from a cruise.

“But over the last year,” Yamaguchi said, “my body hasn't liked the pain so much. I have some arthritis in my knees.”
    I wonder if the pain is from skating or other activities as well? (BTW, since when is Kristi an actress?) That advice about doing anything that you do 110 percent has both good and bad elements. The good part is that it's saying, "Don't just dabble in things to build up a glittering résumé. The quality of what you do is very important." OTOH, it's bad advice in the sense that, as a human being, you simply can't give 110 percent to everything you do. It's important to strictly limit the number of your major goals, and develop the courage to let the rest go, for the most part. Otherwise, you will burn out quickly. Although directed at women, the following quote from Adrienne Mendell applies to all of us:

Fight the cultural expectation that you can do it all. You can't. Superwoman [or -man] only exists in comic books.

She's 39 but still looks 19, not a hint of a gnarly wrinkle.
    Yes, she looks great in that picture.

Relaxed, trim at five feet, her celebrity not worn on her sleeve, Yamaguchi offers that uncommon visage for someone famous — she is approachable.
    That's refreshing to hear.

She is obsessed with increasing the literacy in America, that “if you are reading below grade level by the third grade, the odds go up dramatically you won't finish high school.”
    I wasn't aware of that statistic. I'm glad she's involved in such a beneficial project.

Yamaguchi thinks Americans, both young and old, are not reading enough. Her advice? "Stop watching doofusy shows like Dancing with the Stars, turn off the boob tube and YouTube, pick up a good book, and read to your kids! It really isn't that hard. And if you do find it challenging, there should be plenty of adult-literacy programs listed in your local phonebook."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    At least she has made a more substantial donation than most of us could afford. Good on her.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    She's made a good life for herself after leaving skating -- maybe it is the Northern California vibe, but both she and Boitano seem to be very happy in their own skins, with no public pratfalls, and lives that have moved in interesting directions.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Good for Kristi - I love to see her so successful and happy in her post-skating life.

And I totally get what she's saying about the 110%. She's not saying that someone should do everything or that you have to be all things to all people, just that if you choose to be involved with something, give it your all. I always appreciated her keeping up her skills and trying new things creatively as a pro - she never took an audience for granted.

And I admire her for forming a foundation and using her fame to accomplish good things for other people. When it comes to trying to help people, each contribution is important. One person's contribution won't change the world, but it can make a world of difference to the people benefitting from the contribution.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    So I missed the signing Monday night at Barnes & Noble in LA, but I did go to the signing last night at Pasadena Ice Center. It was a really well-run event. At 6:30 Kristi took the ice with whatever kids were there for the public session & read a brief excerpt from the book. She also answered a few questions from the kids. Then she went upstairs for the book signing. In addition to signing the book, she was also willing to sign up to 2 additional memorabilia items and do posed photography. I got a copy of the book, an old Honey Frosted Wheaties box & my old skating boot signed, as well as a picture. I always had the impression that Kristi was unapproachable, but she was very nice & pleasant to everyone that came out. You could tell that she especially enjoyed seeing the little kids. I was in & out of the Ice Center within an hour --- way more efficient than I imagined.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnM View Post
    So I missed the signing Monday night at Barnes & Noble in LA, but I did go to the signing last night at Pasadena Ice Center. It was a really well-run event. At 6:30 Kristi took the ice with whatever kids were there for the public session & read a brief excerpt from the book. She also answered a few questions from the kids. Then she went upstairs for the book signing. In addition to signing the book, she was also willing to sign up to 2 additional memorabilia items and do posed photography. I got a copy of the book, an old Honey Frosted Wheaties box & my old skating boot signed, as well as a picture. I always had the impression that Kristi was unapproachable, but she was very nice & pleasant to everyone that came out. You could tell that she especially enjoyed seeing the little kids. I was in & out of the Ice Center within an hour --- way more efficient than I imagined.
    I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. I've always admired Kristi and how dedicated she is to her "Foundation."

Yes, the picture is beautiful and her children look adorable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    I've always admired Kristi and how dedicated she is to her "Foundation."
    Well, to be fair, it's rare for female celebrities to show up in public without any makeup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast