Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

7 Year Old Gets Plastic Surgery

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_849156.html

What do you think? I think this is so sad.

vCash
    When you remember that plastic surgery doesn't always mean cosmetic surgery, I think it's fine. The dr is right that ears that stick out & esp the one that "cups" is not cosmetic, it is fixing something that is abnormal. Less severe than a cleft palate but no less abnormal.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Awww, her ears are so cute!

I don't think that really counts as the kind of cosmetic surgery we should get about though - pinning ears back is relatively minor and nowhere near the that some people put themselves through.

But I think she should keep her ears! Stephen Colbert's wonky ear didn't stop him!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    When you remember that plastic surgery doesn't always mean cosmetic surgery, I think it's fine. The dr is right that ears that stick out & esp the one that "cups" is not cosmetic, it is fixing something that is abnormal. Less severe than a cleft palate but no less abnormal.
    Exactly. Lets not get our panties in a twist yet. Her right ear was abnormal.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The child likely would have been "called names? if something wasn't done about her ears.
    Good for the parents; and the doctor, for making the decision, in this case.

vCash
    When I was in elementary school 40 years ago, getting ears pinned back was pretty common. I imagine other ear "defects" were commonly repaired as well. I think the rationale was that repairs done early were more likely to be successful as the child grew.

DS has a malformed ear lobe that DH and I would have had repaired at any time if he asked. DS doesn't care, but maybe a girl would have. I don't think of that like a breast enhancement...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fluorescein View Post
    When I was in elementary school 40 years ago, getting ears pinned back was pretty common. I imagine other ear "defects" were commonly repaired as well. I think the rationale was that repairs done early were more likely to be successful as the child grew.
    Agree that this was pretty common surgery back then. The boy up the street from us had it done when he was 5.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Ms Lurker if you're nasty
    vCash
    A girl I used to teach had her ears pinned back. Her dad said she got teased a lot a school and I think she was 8 or 9 at the time.

vCash
    I was just thinking that one of the American Idol contestants, I think it's James, should have had this done when he was younger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_849156.html

What do you think? I think this is so sad.
    I don't think it's sad at all. Getting teased as a child for something you totally have no control over can affect you for the rest of your life. I say good on the parents.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This is sensationalism at its best. Many MANY children with this problem have their ears pinned back. It is an abnormality and why not fix it? This isn't about not liking your nose or wanting a boob job before you finish puberty. My bf had the exact same surgery when he was a child and it is much better to do it when you are young, the recovery is much faster and the teasing will be done with.

My boyfriend just made a good point and said this is no different than a baby having a cleft palate (sp?) fixed. They could live with it but why should they, it is an ABNORMALITY than can be fixed.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    This procedure was routine long before plastic surgery became fashionable, or even was around. I'm not sure why there's suddenly an article...

vCash
    It's definitely a common procedure (once upon a time the insurances in Germany paid for it, not anymore though). But it is certainly not comparable to a cleft palate, which can lead to problems with breathing, eating, drinking and speech.

And while I wouldn't get worked up about such procedures I find this attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822
    it is an ABNORMALITY than can be fixed.
    to be rather curious.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ^ I feel the same. I have no issue with the procedure, especially as it sounds like having it doen early in life leads to quickest recovery, but I see nothing in that picture that screams ABNORMALITY. To suggest this is on a par with cleft palates is a lot more ridiculous than equating it with vanity cosmetic surgery.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I don't think anyone is saying it's on a par with cleft palates, only that both are abnormalities. The child's cup ear is definitely not normal.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying it's on a par with cleft palates, only that both are abnormalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My boyfriend just made a good point and said this is no different than a baby having a cleft palate (sp?) fixed. They could live with it but why should they, it is an ABNORMALITY than can be fixed.
    it's not exactly a poster saying it, but this is what the posts are referring to.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    These surgeries happen all of the time, what's the big deal? I agree, it's far better to have had the procedure done when the kid is younger than after when there would be a larger scar and more recovery time.

I think people get a sort of wrong idea about plastic surgeons, you're watching way too much Nip/tuck. They can repair broken noses, deviated septums (though an ORL would do it a lot better), skin grafts for burn victims, procedures to improve queloid scars, that Afghani woman whose nose was brutally chopped off by her husband, help people with major facial birth defects, etc.. You'd be amazed at how disfigured many cancer survivors end up. Robert Ebert is just an example of this.

Not all plastic surgeons do boob jobs all day, some of them do pro bono plastic surgery to correct disfigured problems from birth defects, cancer or random accidents. They are the ones that try to help victims who were disfigured by acid.

Some women get plastic surgical procedures to reduce the size of their breasts or equalize their size because of a defect that's visually unappealing. Most procedures are rather minor, not everyone ends up looking like Joan Rivers.

vCash
    this type of procedure has been done for at least 35 years, since I was a fledging nurse. To call this plastic surgery I suppose it technically correct, but I don't happen to think so. And certainly is not so radical that it was never done before in this age group.

vCash
    I wonder if they call it plastic/cosmetic surgery so that insurance won't have to cover it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    I wonder if they call it plastic/cosmetic surgery so that insurance won't have to cover it?
    BINGO!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast