vCash

Hellllllllppp!!! My computer hates me!

... or better, it seems to hate its USB ports. For no apparent reason when I came back to it after lunch, my mouse or any other device that needs to be plugged into any of the USB entries won't be "seen" by my pc. At forst I thought it was the mouse, but I tried different ones, in all the possible sockets... I tried some USB pens... nothing.
    I tried running some programs, checking for viruses and stuff (no result), some pc diagnostics (nothing apparently), I tried doing a reset of the system to a past date... nothing.
    At some point in some of my rummaging here and there I saw a message about an Error 43... about something related to the USB that didn't work properly and had been turned off... but I don't have a clue about what went wrong, and how to turn it back on... and I don't even know if it has anything to do with my problem. I am totally clueless!!!
    Does anyone have a clue of something I could try before throwing myself at the feet of the computer technician in a shop near her, and begging him to help me?? Help me, FSU-ers!!!

vCash
    Did you try rebooting your computer? Maybe that'll work.

vCash
    Definitely try rebooting.

If that does not resolve the issue, cut & paste the error message and google it. I have resolved a lots of computer issues by doing this.

Good luck.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Error 43 usually has to do with misbehaving USB drivers. I get that sometimes with my (build-in) card readers when I'm trying to download my pictures. It's quite annoying.

I don't know how you're going to do that without using the mouse, maybe you'll need to get one that doesn't connect through an USB port, but...

If you go to your Device Manager and uninstall USB controllers (one by one; righ-click on every single one and choose Uninstall) and reboot, Windows will install the drivers again and USB should work as new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Error 43 usually has to do with misbehaving USB drivers. I get that sometimes with my (build-in) card readers when I'm trying to download my pictures. It's quite annoying.

I don't know how you're going to do that without using the mouse, maybe you'll need to get one that doesn't connect through an USB port, but...

If you go to your Device Manager and uninstall USB controllers (one by one; righ-click on every single one and choose Uninstall) and reboot, Windows will install the drivers again and USB should work as new.
    Thank you WindSpirit, that was exactly the last thing I had thought of trying to do.... but mysteriously this morning everything was working fine. I had tried rebooting twice, without result, so I don't think the overnight pause is the solution... but anyway, I'm just glad it is working now!

Thank you for trying to help, anyway!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    Thank you WindSpirit, that was exactly the last thing I had thought of trying to do.... but mysteriously this morning everything was working fine. I had tried rebooting twice, without result, so I don't think the overnight pause is the solution... but anyway, I'm just glad it is working now!

Thank you for trying to help, anyway!
    Typically, you need a cold reboot for hardware problems. Cold means removing power. A warm reboot usually works for software problems.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Typically, you need a cold reboot for hardware problems. Cold means removing power. A warm reboot usually works for software problems.
    Uhhhh that's interesting to know! Thanks!