View Poll Results: Who'd you like tonight?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Durbin

35 57.38%
  • Scotty McCreery

22 36.07%
  • Casey Abrams

31 50.82%
  • Stefano Langone

9 14.75%
  • Jacob Lusk

14 22.95%
  • Paul MacDonald

5 8.20%
  • Haley Reinhart

10 16.39%
  • Lauren Alaina

19 31.15%
  • Loved everybody

0 0%
  • Hated everybody

4 6.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Smart of Casey to do the shout out to Esperanza Spalding. I see Casey having a ton of fun and earning a decent living playing small clubs.

James is a hoot! I hope he makes the finals because he makes me smile.

Sorry, but I still don't get Jacob. It seems that he's lost between owning the gospel singer label and trying to be something he's not. Total turnoff for me.

Same with Scotty. Some music teacher must have told him to hold the mic so people could see his face. Either that, or his music teacher admired the song stylings of Dean Martin. I can't get past the cheezy performance level.

The rest, meh.

My B3 would be Paul, Haley and Jacob.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The real metal fans would die before they'd watch AI, attend an AI alum's concert, or buy an album.
    Yeah? Interesting.

Cuz I've also seen, you know, the actual American Idol tour. Twice.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yeah? Interesting.

You're an exception and you know it.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Yeah? Interesting.

To add to PL's comment this "punk rock/metal up your ass Mom" probably will try to get tickets to go see this year's tour, which will be a first for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Smart of Casey to do the shout out to Esperanza Spalding. I see Casey having a ton of fun and earning a decent living playing small clubs.

James is a hoot! I hope he makes the finals because he makes me smile.

Sorry, but I still don't get Jacob. It seems that he's lost between owning the gospel singer label and trying to be something he's not. Total turnoff for me.

Same with Scotty. Some music teacher must have told him to hold the mic so people could see his face. Either that, or his music teacher admired the song stylings of Dean Martin. I can't get past the cheezy performance level.

The rest, meh.

My B3 would be Paul, Haley and Jacob.
    My summary as well,

I wish that Casey were a better singer. He's such a good musician
    The connections he's made through the show will allow him to have a good career - even if he's not the AI winner.

I don't think that the "mentor's advice" has been particularly helpful this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I wish that Casey were a better singer. He's such a good musician.
    I wonder how much of each arrangement is Casey's work? I know a couple of people like Casey, and they come in to the process with a aural picture of what they need and with the charts already printed out. If he's doing that work too, no wonder he's all stressed out.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    So Casey isn't comfortable singing "In The Air Tonight" but he was comfortable singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit?" Ok...
    He might have learned a lesson from his experience with "Smells Like Teen Spirit." From what he's done before and what he's said about his favorite artists and influences, "Nature Boy" is a lot more him that Teen Spirit is.

Yeah? Interesting.

Realistically, how good do you think his chances are of having a successful career as a hard rocker/metal artist? I'm trying to think of what Jimmy Iovine would do with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Realistically, how good do you think his chances are of having a successful career as a hard rocker/metal artist? I'm trying to think of what Jimmy Iovine would do with him.
    I don't know. I thought Marty Casey (who came in 2nd on Rock Star) and his band the Lovehammers, were going to be huge. (Their album "Murder on my Mind" is ) And it didn't happen for them.

There is a rock market out there: 30 Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, Hollywood Undead--but I don't know if that's the kind of rock he wants to do. If he wants to go more arena rock, I don't think he'll do well because there just isn't a market for that. *sniff*

ETA: Here are Slezak's choices for James: Might I suggest some “Round and Round” or “Photograph” or “Youth Gone Wild” or “Paradise City.” Girl, you didn’t know your Idol recapper could get down like that, didja?

"Photograph" (the awesome Def Leppard song, not the abomination spewed out by Nickelback) is really hard to sing well, and I don't think "Paradise City" can be edited down to 90 seconds.
    Last edited by PrincessLeppard; 04-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Which is probably getting him votes. The Idol book that came out last year said that the vote between Adam and Kris wasn't even close. Adam came across as threatening. The guyliner, nail polish, gayness... James, OTOH, comes across as "isn't he cute!" He's the poster boy, literally, for Tourette's, he's polite, and he likes pro wrestling like a little kid. He comes across as a kid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the finals.
    Even if Adam came across as "threatening" () to certain people, he obviously still got votes and made it to the finals, so I don't know if James' kid quality has anything to do with it really. I think it's more to do with the fact that he's entertaining compared to some of the other contestants. Also, why is liking pro wrestling being like a little kid?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Even if Adam came across as "threatening" () to certain people, he obviously still got votes and made it to the finals, so I don't know if James' kid quality has anything to do with it really. I think it's more to do with the fact that he's entertaining compared to some of the other contestants. Also, why is liking pro wrestling being like a little kid?
    Did you see the clips of him playing in the mansion or when Hulk Hogan came on stage? All the people at work, and most would certainly not classify themselves as liking the type of music he sings, think he's endearing and throw him a few votes. That's very different to what they said about Adam Lambert. While this is a small group, they are representative of people who watch AI and vote for the contestants. Yes, Adam clearly got votes, but he didn't win the contest and the vote spread between he and Kris was apparently quite large. You should get the new book. It's actually quite interesting about a lot of the back stage stuff on Idol.

vCash
    To be honest, I can't even tell you what James Durbin's speaking voice is like. I actually don't watch American Idol as the producers probably want me to. I watch it on Youtube and skip directly to performances just to see how well they did. I never watch any of the fluff pieces, and I don't vote. I just randomly comment on the show on a figure skating message board. So with that said, I'm not interested in the show enough to read about backstage details, but I'm glad you find it entertaining.

As past seasons have shown, winning American Idol does not mean that people will go buy the person's music six months later, much less their second album. Whatever the vote spread was between Kris and Adam, it didn't really seem to mean anything after the show was over, so I don't find free voting to be that useful of an indicator of future success.

(By the way, I heard that Adam shirts far outsold Kris shirts on the Idol tour, so...)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Casey also gets a thumbs up from me because I've always loved the song Nature Boy...
    Is it just me who got a creepy stalker vibe from Casey's performance? (Which did not fit in with how I see that song at all...)

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I know I'm a week late with this, but I just watched the Glee repeat from Tuesday and I thought Mercedes and Santana sang 'River Deep Mountain High' better than Pia did.
    Yes, it was almost as if Mercedes and Santana knew they would do doing this song for weeks, if not months, and then spent a day or two in the studio making a recorded version of the song which they then lip-synched to, rather than perform live, as did Pia.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes, it was almost as if Mercedes and Santana knew they would do doing this song for weeks, if not months, and then spent a day or two in the studio making a recorded version of the song which they then lip-synched to, rather than perform live, as did Pia.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is it just me who got a creepy stalker vibe from Casey's performance? (Which did not fit in with how I see that song at all...)
    Well, I find that song kind of creepy because it was used in a really freaky episode of Friday the 13th: The Series.

vCash
    I thought he came across as a kid in the way he responded to Hulk Hogan and in the piece they did in the mansion on pro wrestling. It may be his Aspergers, but he comes across as very young and kid-like to me. And, honestly, I do think that makes him more appealing to a broader audience. (In an interview pre-Idol, he said that he liked songs about whores. How do you think that would go over with an Idol audience compared to being gleeful about meeting Hulk Hogan?) If people really thought that he was hard-edged guy, it would not be a good thing with him for the majority of the audience.

I probably don't have a good understanding of what the majority of the heavy metal audience likes, but I just don't see it being Idol contestant James Durbin.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I still think Will.I.Am is winning me over big time. I vote that he becomes a permanent judge. My favorite segments have quickly become their time with Jimmy and him. I like what they both have to say and Will.I.Am is just hilarious.
    Yes, yes, YES! He has such an engaging personality, and he is hilarious. I'm so glad they added him to Jimmy's segments, he makes Jimmy bearable.

It is kind of crazy watching James. He always gets the big guest stars and the production values on his numbers are so far ahead of what the others get. I don't know if that is just his input and ideas and no on else is taking advantage or if all of this is being offered to him but not others. His segments look pre-taped almost.
    To me, especially in the last show he looked like a professional amongst amateurs. I didn't even like the song, but he sold it. Others have big productions too, I just don't think they can use them as well as James. It just looks like he's in his element. I don't think his voice is thin in the least, like someone wrote earlier. I think his voice is very good (if not exceptional) and versatile and he knows how to use it.

Haley's performance wasn't bad. I thought the song suited her well and she did a pretty good job with it. But the growl-on-demand is still there and is ruining everything.

Stefano is exactly like before. I always thought he was meh. Good enough voice but nothing special, no personality, non-existent performing skills, kind of corny. And unlike others I don't even think he's cute, so for me he's a bathroom break kind of performer.

Paul is a mess is a mess is a mess.

Casey was OK, and I'm glad his facial hair in under control again.

I wish Scotty had kept the first song. He's alright but I don't like country.

I loved it when Jimmy Iovine dissed Miley Cyrus, buahahaha. Of course Lauren sang it MUCH better, duh! She does have a great voice actually. It's not her voice that's her problem. Anyway, I still didn't like the song. Miley Cyrus, brr.

Jacob... I didn't watch the show yesterday, but my mother told me that he was so good she had to vote for him. She had never voted before. I though, oh well, maybe he achieved something like he did with "A House Is Not a Home" where he actually moved me. Then I saw it. The warbling, shouty mess with some vibrato. Yes, he can hit the big note here and there, but that's it. And he went off key a few times, I thought. I didn't like it at all.

James was the best. Casey and Scotty were OK. Haley and Lauren were decent. Stefano, Jacob and Paul can all go home at once.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    To be honest, I can't even tell you what James Durbin's speaking voice is like. I actually don't watch American Idol as the producers probably want me to. I watch it on Youtube and skip directly to performances just to see how well they did. I never watch any of the fluff pieces, and I don't vote. I just randomly comment on the show on a figure skating message board. So with that said, I'm not interested in the show enough to read about backstage details, but I'm glad you find it entertaining.

As past seasons have shown, winning American Idol does not mean that people will go buy the person's music six months later, much less their second album. Whatever the vote spread was between Kris and Adam, it didn't really seem to mean anything after the show was over, so I don't find free voting to be that useful of an indicator of future success.

(By the way, I heard that Adam shirts far outsold Kris shirts on the Idol tour, so...)
    Just one comment about Kris. He's actually doing very well in the Christian market. He'll make as much money there as Adam is likely to make in an entirely different genre. He's hardly a failure. It just depends on the market.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I would be shocked if Kris can make as much as Adam CAN make if he continues to churn out one or two hits per album and continues to tour, either as a headlining or opening act. Adam is in a market with much more potential as far as money is concerned. Kris can certainly make a nice living in the Christian market but I don't think he can make as much as Adam CAN make in the mainstream world.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Just one comment about Kris. He's actually doing very well in the Christian market. He'll make as much money there as Adam is likely to make in an entirely different genre. He's hardly a failure. It just depends on the market.
    Uh, I never said that Kris was a failure, and I'm sure he's not broke. I just don't think that the voting really means anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I thought he came across as a kid in the way he responded to Hulk Hogan and in the piece they did in the mansion on pro wrestling. It may be his Aspergers, but he comes across as very young and kid-like to me. And, honestly, I do think that makes him more appealing to a broader audience. (In an interview pre-Idol, he said that he liked songs about whores. How do you think that would go over with an Idol audience compared to being gleeful about meeting Hulk Hogan?) If people really thought that he was hard-edged guy, it would not be a good thing with him for the majority of the audience.

I probably don't have a good understanding of what the majority of the heavy metal audience likes, but I just don't see it being Idol contestant James Durbin.
    Lol, for me, this just begs the question of why they did a piece on pro wrestling on American Idol. Anyway, I have nothing against James. I think he's by far the most entertaining, but as I said from the beginning, even if he wins, I don't see that big of a future if he wants to continue to do metal. However, I'm sure people said the same about Adam (I hadn't started watching American Idol when he was on, so I actually don't know) when he was portrayed as the classic/glam rocker. He ended up doing something quite different.
    Last edited by cailuj365; 04-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I didn't get to see the whole song, but personally I hated Casey. I love that song, but his version was wretched. The judges standing for him made my blood boil. Granted, I don't care for jazz, but I could have tolerated that 90 second version had it been sung well.... but since we're talking about Casey, obviously it wasn't.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast