Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It could have just been a huge huge coincidence. Maybe if another pretty woman had been in the bathroom then she would have said the same thing and been completely wrong. Maybe she had worked up so much anxiety about running into this new girlfriend that she was going to expect every woman she crossed paths with to be her. It also seems obvious from the story that the new girlfriend goes to the same school so it isn't THAT shocking to have run into her where she did. It would have been really crazy if it was at a McDonalds on the other side of town or something.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Did you ask Anna how she knew? How does she explain it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    While the cynic in me says that there is something to this story that is missing, due to my own experience with "supernatural" "psychic forces" or what ever you want to call it I cannot say for certain that there is not some sort of psychic energy out there.
    I had a similar experience, although a joyous one. I dreamt that a friend of mine who lives in Dublin was pregnant (mind you, we don't talk often and it's usually pretty much teasing each other). So I send her a message to which she replies that she actually had taken a test 2 days before and that she's pregnant but nobody knew (even her boyfriend) because she was waiting to do a proper visit to the ob-gyn. There you have it. I'm psychic Seriously though, it was weird whether you call it coincidence or telepathy.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Ok, while we are on the subject, when I was a teenager, I had a dream that my father (who had died several years before) came back home and told us that he had faked his death because he was working on an intelligence matter (he'd been a Naval Intelligence officer in China long before I was born, but I was a child when he died and only knew he was in the Navy until I was an adult). He was wearing this blue suit - one of a few he had had custom made a few years before he died because he had gotten quite large - it had a white silk lining with thin blue and red threads running through it. I told my mother the dream and she turned a little white and said. Hmmm, "that is the suit I buried him in." It was not an open casket, and I did not see his body at any time after his death. He had many other suits, and she did not tell me which one she picked. But, it makes sense that I would incorporate that one into my dream because I liked the lining. It was a little weird that I picked out an intelligence matter because I thought he'd been a Navy pilot. But I used to watch Man from Uncle, Mission Impossible, Get Smart etc. so not so unusual.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Tinami, just keep Anna away from any and all train stations until she recovers from her heartbreak.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    That seems like a good guess to me. Or Anna just knew what type of women her ex likes.
    This is where intuition comes in. Intuition would pick up on that even if Anna wasn't consciously realizing that was part of her reasoning.

I have these sorts of "I just knew" feelings all the time and am often right. The sucky part is when it's at work and I can't convince people of my POV because I can't articulate why I think what I think and then I turn out to be right after all. It's not like the next time I can say "just trust me because I was right last time" either.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Maybe she had worked up so much anxiety about running into this new girlfriend that she was going to expect every woman she crossed paths with to be her.
    Well, I have heard it said that worries are prayers for that which you don't want to happen.

Rob, that is an interesting story. I've always had an interest in stuff like this happening, those things that you just can't explain. I have a story of my own along those lines:

My maternal grandmother passed away in December 2005 (right before Christmas) at the age of 104. My grandfather had died in 1942, just before my mother turned 5. On Christmas Eve my mother, one of my brothers and I attended a church service at West Stephentown Baptist, the church my mother's family had attended ever since 1935 and my cousin has preached in for over 30 years. I picked up the hymnbook from the back of the seat in front of me, and flipped open the front cover. There was a sticker saying that my grandmother had made a donation in memory of my grandfather, and the date was noted (can't remember the year). Considering that we had just been in that very church only days before for her funeral, and she was now buried in the cemetary behind the church with my grandfather and my mother's older sister, I will never be convinced that was a mere coincidence. My mother doesn't think so either.

And then there is the fact that my aunt died, IIRC in 2002, and her funeral was the same day as the anniversary of the day my grandfather died (she was 12 when that happened).

I'm a firm believer in the idea that there are connections between people that cannot be rationally explained, that there are things we know without being able to explain how we know or sense that these things are true. There is a certain person in my own life with whom I seem to have a bond that is not easily broken, no matter what bullshit happens between us (and we are now communicating after not doing so for 17 months).
    Last edited by Karina1974; 04-13-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    I dreamt that a friend of mine who lives in Dublin was pregnant
    I was worried for a moment until I remembered I'm a man.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Thank you very much for all your replies and explanations.

I absolutely agree and never doubted that all the events which led to both girls passing each other in the same space at the same time are circumstantial and coincidences and not due to “mysterious powers” or “fate” or “divine intervention”.

I am also sure that the physical features of the “New Girl” do match Dmitry’s preferences, just as they much pretty much the preferences of most people in our circle of friends and relatives: Rachel Weizs, Natalie Portman, Kira Nightly, Winona Ryder, Nastassyja Kinski, Juliette Binoche, etc… Anna her self is “that type”, but closer to Audrey Tautou…. Dmitry’s mother (my relatives know his parents) is closer to Hedi Lammar…. My mother looks close to Gina Lollobrigida….

….. It’s a forgone conclusion that the New Girl, the way she looked in general, would very much be Dmitry’s type and the “ideal type” for every male relative’s and friend’s I know…..

….. My reaction to the New Girl could not be registered by Anna, as she rushed in first, and I was behind, she had her back to me the whole time when addressing the New Girl… all happened in a matter of seconds.

…. Anna had no idea Dmitry was seeing another girl until I told her. Her only friend who knew was not eager to be the first one to break the news. Anna does not play games – if she had this info – she’d be talking to me about it from the second she got into my car…

….. Anna could not have seen the New Girl’s foto or learn of her on Facebook… No one in our circle, younger, older, uses Facebook or social networks. 4-5 people might have real accounts they use, the rest of us may have accounts, under fake names, only to look at links to fotos and articles on Facebook which requires registration.

Dmitry loathes Facebook and called it “Surrogate for real communication”… he is that type... he does not use digital camera, his cell-phone is from 2003, he drives a normal car with a clutch, not the new kind “automatic”, and we’re all like that… etc. No-face-of-new-girl-on-Facebook….. .

I am more interested to learn if ESP (thank you for reminding me of this word) has any scientific basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    I do believe that there are phenomena that we are simply not able to understand or at least not able to understand. I think there are energies out there that we are not able to understand but might be able to be explained from a scientific point of view.

Humans know a lot but not all
    This possibility is of great interest to me. I am inclined to think we, humans, are NOT using all of our natural physical and intellectual resources and potentials. Perhaps we do have certain sensory abilities that we’re not aware of….

So this case is interesting to me pretty much from that aspect only: Other than “physical type” which Dmitry might be attracted to, what else did Anna sensed in the New Girl which made her ask so directly and with SUCH CERTAINTY if she is his new girlfriend? Anna is not a “casual talker” and not that open with strangers…..

I had a similar experience, although a joyous one. ........There you have it. I'm psychic Seriously though, it was weird whether you call it coincidence or telepathy.
    Anna today can not explain how she knew “The New Girl” was it…. Anna does not remember how it happened…… She can’t explain…. She says “I felt something”….

Does ESP has any scientific basis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I was worried for a moment until I remembered I'm a man.

I usually have a lot of nightmares involving people chasing me. I'd let you get me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    This possibility is of great interest to me. I am inclined to think we, humans, are NOT using all of our natural physical and intellectual resources and potentials. Perhaps we do have certain sensory abilities that we’re not aware of….
    I think I've seen a documentary once where a doctor/scientist actually said that we are not using a good part of the brain, might be wrong though.

vCash

Objectivisticly speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    I do believe that there are phenomena that we are simply not able to understand or at least not able to understand. I think there are energies out there that we are not able to understand but might be able to be explained from a scientific point of view.

Humans know a lot but not all
    The problem with saying that there are things humans are unable to understand ever(as opposed to the things we have not understood yet), is that you would have to understand enough about your subject in order to substantiate that claim as to why mankind cannot understand it. But then that is an obvious contradiction that undercuts your whole case.

As to the last part about humans know a lot but not all, knowledge is not the same as omniscience.

vCash

Anna today can not explain how she knew “The New Girl” was it…. Anna does not remember how it happened…… She can’t explain…. She says “I felt something”….
    As I noted already, this subject is of interest to me as well, and I have been in situations where it has come into play in one way or another. I have two friends who have made it a point to stretch their "natural intellectual resources" and it is both fascinating and intimidating to be around them. Thank goodness they don't know each other - I don't think I could take both of them being in the same room at the same time with me!

That's the problem with it, though... it's very hard to explain. My one friend uses the philosophy of the Martial Arts to explain it, because that's how he came into it when he was in his very early 20's (he's now 70). He's also a big believer in Karma, and describes himself as a Buddhist.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think I've seen a documentary once where a doctor/scientist actually said that we are not using a good part of the brain, might be wrong though.
    My neuroscientist friends say was are using 100% of our brain.
    I am also sure that the physical features of the “New Girl” do match Dmitry’s preferences, just as they much pretty much the preferences of most people in our circle of friends and relatives: Rachel Weizs, Natalie Portman, Kira Nightly, Winona Ryder, Nastassyja Kinski, Juliette Binoche, etc… Anna her self is “that type”, but closer to Audrey Tautou…. Dmitry’s mother (my relatives know his parents) is closer to Hedi Lammar…. My mother looks close to Gina Lollobrigida….
    I've been told I looke like Nastassija Kinski.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hope Anna is able to take what good there was from the relationship and move on with her life. You sound like a wonderful friend and mentor for her. She is still very young and if this was her first "big love" there is so much you can only learn by experiencing it personally, both good and bad.

I'm also a very pragmatic, hands on scientific person. If I can't touch, smell, see or hear something, it's hard for me to understand it or believe it. So, I understand your feelings completely. Not being able to just let my imagination go wild has been an issue in a lot of ways in life. Science Fiction, Supernatural movies and books, Star Trek, Star Wars...anything on that order? I just don't get it. I keep going back to my initial questions of "how did they do that?" When and if someone can show me real scientific and independently documented proof, I'll try to open my obviously closed mind but until then I'd rather read a great book or listen to wonderful music instead.

One of my ex's was seriously and I mean seriously into science fiction. His favorite author was Asimov and as much as he tried to convince me or explain the concept to me, I'd sit there with a blank expression and shake my head "NO..still don't get it and I'm sorry. " Finally we agreed to disagree and respect the other person's point of view. But he cheated and would always try to sneak in a comment or point of view and conversations would become stilted and painful. He passed away a few years ago from a chronic, debilitating disease and I really hope that there is some mystical place that he now resides in where he is healthy and able to do everything he loved once again. More of like wishing on a star...can't hurt right? Will it help? Who knows? He once told me the greatest gift I ever gave him was having a star named after him. You know that commercial one on tv where you pay whatever it was all those years ago and they send you a chart with ""your star" highlighted. I tried very hard not to come across cynical when I gave it to him but of course, silently thought it was all commericalized hooey and they probably send the same chart out to anyone who pays the $29.95 or whatever the cost was. But the joy he got out of it was well worth the price.

As a mom and a sister, I do occasionally have strange feelings and have to talk to one of my kids or one of my brothers because there was just a strange feeling pulling me towards them. Not good or bad news just a feeling that they somehow either needed or wanted to talk. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes not. But it gives me a good reason to call for no other reason than wanting to talk to them.

Give Anna a lot of support and the opportunity to talk if she wants to. You are a good friend and she probably needs you more than she wants to admit right now.

vCash
    Well, I'd swear my mother is psychic because she always knows when I'm doing something I shouldn't...

I'm sorry for Anna's heartbreak; she's young and hopefully will be blessed with another great love.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

Also, Mythbusters addressed this and found the same thing as IceAlisa's neuroscientist friends. We use all of our brain.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Also, Mythbusters addressed this and found the same thing as IceAlisa's neuroscientist friends. We use all of our brain.
    Well, maybe we don't use it well?

For instance, I "use" all my muscles and so does Nastia Liukin, but I assure you there is a difference!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Tinami, just keep Anna away from any and all train stations until she recovers from her heartbreak.
    Her real name is actually “Anetta”… I used “Anna” for convenience….. Does that change the suggested venue? Plus “my crowd” is not big on following the path of Karenina, Dame with Camilias, Lady Hamilton… we’re more into Moll Flanders, Viola, Pippi Langstrumpf…. .

've been told I looke like Nastassija Kinski.
    ……. maybe when you were both 20…… and so did Sasha Cohen…..
    My impression is that you look more like a mix between “prettier younger versions” of Jamie Lynn Singler and Marisa Tomei…..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ND920tPjWk...igler+face.jpg

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/g...b-51165795.jpg

That’s the “thing”…… we maybe using full volume/mass, but are we using full capacity?
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 04-13-2011 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    My first thought when I read your description of events is that Anna (consciously or unconsciously) smelled Dmitry on this girl. Maybe some of his cologne lingered on her clothing or she was wearing something of his.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast