I know a place...
    vCash

Question about Apple iTunes and Windows iTunes...

My brother is contemplating getting a Apple computer, but he has an HP model now and he's concerned that with getting a Apple he might not be able to transfer his purchased playlist over to a different OS. So I figured I would come on here and see if anyone has tried, or knows some sort of way to make it work. Thanks.

vCash
    It's quite easy. Very thorough instructions courtesy of iLounge.com. I recommend reading the whole article, paying special attention to "Moving Between Operating Systems"
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I just moved from a Windows OS to a Mac OS and it was no problem. Then again I just transferred the files myself (have a backup on an external drive) and made sure I was signed into iTunes so it wouldn't be yelling at me about playing illegal files or whatever.

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I just moved from a Windows OS to a Mac OS and it was no problem. Then again I just transferred the files myself (have a backup on an external drive) and made sure I was signed into iTunes so it wouldn't be yelling at me about playing illegal files or whatever.
    I'll probably be ok if I get a Mac then. I backed up my music to my external drive ages ago. My brother doesn't have his music backed up though. Just his pictures. His biggest problem is his current computer got virused so he can't get his TV shows off it. He didn't have space for them on his iPod.
    Thanks for the help

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by musicgurl View Post
    I'll probably be ok if I get a Mac then. I backed up my music to my external drive ages ago. My brother doesn't have his music backed up though. Just his pictures. His biggest problem is his current computer got virused so he can't get his TV shows off it. He didn't have space for them on his iPod.
    Thanks for the help
    If he purchased them on iTunes, he can probably download them again without paying, if he begs Apple Support enough. I've heard it done before. Of course they don't advertise the service, but it's possible to do it...

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    If he purchased them on iTunes, he can probably download them again without paying, if he begs Apple Support enough. I've heard it done before. Of course they don't advertise the service, but it's possible to do it...
    I'll let him know, thanks.

vCash
    Within iTunes, there's an option to transfer purchased music from your iPod back to a computer. Don't count on Apple letting you re-download them... they will tell you to transfer them from the iPod/iPhone.

The biggest issue most people find when changing computers is not transferring the music files and authorizing the computer, it's losing their playlists, playcounts and ratings. If you transfer using the iLounge method, in addition to getting the music files, you get the iTunes DATABASE that contains all the metadata for your library.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan