Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Scott didn't know the hell he was talking about that night. He made it seem like Yagudin left the door open for Plushenko with his performance in the LP.
    Scott even made it seem like Yagudin left door open for Timothy!

"Will it beat Timothy Goebel??" LOL I think I'm dying... shut the f''' up you idiot, you're making a complete and utter fool of yourself!
    Ok, that was the free skate, but I will watch that tape soon too! Did those 6.0s shut him up?

I have no further comment on Scott Hamilton what so ever!!

SVT did great commentary in the sp though. They (Roger Blomquist) thought the Finnish judge could resign, after being out of line several times. (I think she was the one who placed Davydov ahead of Weiss. Had to love her a little bit for that though.)

Generally, SVT are good at speaking their mind, though Blomquist went bananas when Todd landed his 4t2t, and totally missed the 2t. Blomquist didn't care, he raved on and on about Todd landing a quad, and Lotta Falckenbäck had to tell him to stay objective.
    I know a lot of people don't like Blomquist, I find him refreshing, though sometimes he's totally confused and talks nonsense too! Good thing we have Lotta there!
    (also, I'm pretty sure Roger Blomquist has a secret crush on Todd Eldredge. He would never stop swooning about him!)

vCash
    lol I remember Scott saying after Yag's LP, "If he's second, he still wins the gold, if he's third, then he's third" (or something like that lolllllllllll) Wonder if he was really watching?
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 04-15-2011 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    lol I remember Scott saying after Yag's LP, "If he's second, he still wins the gold, if he's third, then he's third" (or something like that lolllllllllll) Wonder if he was really watching?
    Maybe he was watching and just counting jumps because that's his favorite part of men's skating.

vCash
    Going for broke is different to taking risks. Everyone takes risks.

Quad or no quad: Yagudin didn't go for broke in 2002 (no 2nd 3axel and no 2nd combo). Plushenko didn't go for broke in 2006. Lysacek didn't go for broke in 2010. In Lysacek's case though, he was lucky because the leader underperformed and his 'technically reserved' skate was sufficient for gold.

Kulik and Lipinski went for broke in 1998. Hughes went for broke in 2002.
    Last edited by Marco; 04-15-2011 at 07:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    But they were so much more than that. Have you seen any Yagudin programs after he went to Tarasova?
    Uh, yes. I have seen Yagudin's programs after he went to Tarasova. I was a big fan of his when he competed. But mia joy was not only talking about Yagudin. She was referring to that entire generation of male skaters and about how much more "manly" they were and how much they were challenging each other, simply because, well, they were attempting and landing more quads. That, is what I don't agree with.

vCash
    Of course they had more time to work on the quads when they didn't have to work much on spins, steps and choreography. By 2003, Honda landed 3 quads at 4CCs but had crappy spins and no choreography in his program at all.

I think COP was introduced in an attempt to strike a balance between the sport and the art. Everyone has a different view as to what the ideal balance is, but it's true that every skater has had to work harder on all aspects of their skating to be competitive post-COP.

vCash
    So, the "Olympic Champion" 2010 didn't do any quad, because the poor guy had to work too much on his absolutely unmatched choreography, gorgeous artistry/expression and unique style?

vCash
    I enjoy Yag's Winter very much, but I have always wondered that back in 2002 were there any debates or even just minor discussions on the way the uses the snow on the ice as 'props'? I have always found that use questionable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    You don't think Yagudin skated more carefully in the Olympic LP? I'm no big fan of Scott Hamilton, but it made sense to me.
    Yes, he was playing it safe very clearly. On the other hand his WC 2002 freeskate was better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    So, the "Olympic Champion" 2010 didn't do any quad, because the poor guy had to work too much on his absolutely unmatched choreography, gorgeous artistry/expression and unique style?
    That poor guy unfortunately had to give up his quad because of injuries in various seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I enjoy Yag's Winter very much, but I have always wondered that back in 2002 were there any debates or even just minor discussions on the way the uses the snow on the ice as 'props'? I have always found that use questionable.
    I wondered that, and also wondered whether his scrapping the ice would make it uneven for the skaters to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Well, the quads that the "Olympic Champion" 2006 did in both 2006 and 2010 in exchange for total abandonment of choreography, artistry, expression, style and other non-jump elements, weren't so out-of-this-world either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wondered that, and also wondered whether his scrapping the ice would make it uneven for the skaters to come.
    Nah, it's just a thin layer of snow, similar to that produced by most methods of stopping quickly. The toepick jumps, especially by senior men, do more damage to the ice. (blame those quads!) And ice dancers with their deep edges can make some pretty deep ruts.

vCash
    Well, the quads that the "Olympic Champion" 2006 did in both 2006 and 2010 in exchange for total abandonment of choreography, artistry, expression, style and other non-jump elements, weren't so out-of-this-world either.
    This is an answer to fandango's post too, of course.

Come on. An Olympic champion is an Olympic champion and using quotation marks to show disdain for those skaters who weren't brilhant (under personal conceptions) is just disrespectful. Actually, I see similarities between Evan and Plushenko: both had problems with injuries before the games and skated "conservatives" but clean programs to win gold. All this sarcasm about who is a real worthy champion just put skaters effort in a trash can... Evan was not my favorite in Vancouver and Plushy's performance in 2006 was supbar, but they were unquestionable winners in their respective competitions.
    Last edited by Daria; 04-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Nah, it's just a thin layer of snow, similar to that produced by most methods of stopping quickly. The toepick jumps, especially by senior men, do more damage to the ice. (blame those quads!) And ice dancers with their deep edges can make some pretty deep ruts.
    I've fallen into holes that a novice/junior level male skater has left all over the ice from double axel attempts. He really vaulted off the pick and twisted at the same time making huge chunks of ice fly out!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I've always loved that snow- throwing jesture. Brings a feeling of theatre and ease to the program, sets the mood; feels like a tribute to ice, to the rink.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Besides, it's not only that Lysacek didn't have any quads. If he had been an artistry and emotion master, I would have welcomed his gold over Plush's total lack of choreography. The problem is, he was neither a jumper, nor an artist. This is really not the kind of Olympic champ I wanna see after seing Yags - or even after seing Lambiel win silver in 2006.
    Can't be written bold enough, thank you!

Yep! But let's see:
    Olympic Champion 2006: Two quads, not much else. At least the knowledge he's able to do better.
    "Olympic Champion" 2010: Zilch, not much else.
    Progress? Progress???

No, I'm not a Plushenko-fan by any means. Looking back to Vancouver Olympics, I SO SO wished that other guy would've made it. One of those rare exemplars who actually had two real programs in his baggage, two programs he dared to interpret, with a lot of courage, enthusiasm and verve: Daisuke Takahashi, with- or without quad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It's not fair to compare Evan Lysacek's performance in 2010 with Yagudin's in 2002 and say figure skating has suffered a downfall. Yagudin is one of the best male skaters EVER. I don't see Lysacek's performance as inferior to Kulik's in 1998, Urmanov's in 1994, or Petrenko's in 1992. Re: Plushenko's 2006 performance, sure it had more quads than Evan's, but there wasn't much emotion behind it. Maybe Evan isn't the best Olympic champion EVER, but that doesn't mean that figure skating's gone downhill or he didn't deserve the gold medal.
    Yagudin in 2002, Kulik in 1998, and Plushenko in 2006 were all much better than Evan in 2010 and would have blown him out of the water under any scoring system. Plushenko in 2010 was about 55% the skater and even jumper he was in 2006 and still nearly beat Evan anyway. Petrenko and Urmanov were 12 and 14 years earlier so you cant really compare. Brian Boitano in 1988 though, a full 18 years earlier, was also clearly better, atleast in the LP segment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Scott didn't know the hell he was talking about that night. He made it seem like Yagudin left the door open for Plushenko with his performance in the LP.
    Scott said that Yagudin was in danger of coming in 3rd...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yes, he was playing it safe very clearly. On the other hand his WC 2002 freeskate was better.
    Neither was perfect, but I think that he had a better performance at the Olympics. His Winter was better at worlds though.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast