Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

We stand on guard to see bread rise ~ Top Chef Canada

I know we're still not done w/the Series Premiere episode, but thought I'd get a thread up and running for forty minutes from now.

vCash
    I'm flipping the channel here and there, watching bits and pieces of the show. From what I see, it's pretty much like the US version and I like the cast.

I'm happy that we finally are seeing more Canadian versions of reality television. Now only if we can have other shows like The Biggest Loser, Canadian Idol (minus Ben Mulroney), X Factor, or The Amazing Race, I'd be one happy viewer.

vCash
    Ooo, is this anyway your neighbors to the south can see this?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Ooo, is this anyway your neighbors to the south can see this?
    Right? I want to watch.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I have no idea. It is airing on our Food Network up here, so maybe...

Food Network Canada

...it might be available there, but no idea if only Canadians can watch it or not.

vCash
    I'm in the US.
    All I see is a black screen.
    I'd love updates/PBP, if possible.

vCash
    All I have is three words.

Seal. Flipper. Pie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinBug View Post
    All I have is three words.

Seal. Flipper. Pie.
    Got three more for you.

Ballsy. As. Hell!!

Seriously, when you consider all the flack anyone/organization gets whenever Seal is even hinted at as a meat these days, that was pretty ballsy. Also *very* Newfie too.

My Dad worked w/a guy from Newfoundland for close to 20 years and to him, that was part of being a Newfie and as natural as having chicken is to us here in Ontario. He also never did get the fuss, as the way the Seal Industry is run is not how certain organizations would have us think and it was one of the very few times I ever saw Jimmy get angry when someone "who knew all", but really didn't, went after Jimmy for supporting the Seal Industry.

And considering how mild mannered and even keeled Jimmy is, that literally shocked me to the core to see him get *that* angry.

Anyway...As I said, pretty ballsy and I was impressed. Pity he didn't impress the Judges w/the actual dish, but I still think he impressed them by taking the risk. If that makes sense.

The one dish I would have loved to try last night? Those Maple Syrup Glazed Salmon Filliets on the Buckwheat Pancakes. Those looked *so* good and I could see that becoming the Canadian version of Chicken and Waffles.

Well...Not really, but it could happen. Possibly. Maybe.

There is apparently a separate Website for TC CAN, but I never did catch the entire addy last night. One thing I did and I foresee getting really tired of....All the product placement. Great that GE has provided all of the stuff for the kitchen and the Scott Towels is the official paper towel of TC CAN or that Loblaws is the official Grocery store of TC CAN, but I was really ready to not hear it anymore after the first commercial break. Even in the stew room there was product placement stuff all over. I don't ever remember that happening w/TC US, but I've also only been watching for three seasons, so...Maybe I'm wrong about that. I have a feeling I'm not though.

And I'm not talking about when Padma mentions the sponsor of the prize for winning a Challenge. That's fine, as it's only the once and it's not being done in an annoying manner. What was going on last night was beyond overkill and I hope that ends as they get more comfortable w/things, as I know that the Pilot/Premiere eppy of any show always have rough spots/edges regardless.

At least I hope that's toned down next week.

vCash
    http://realitytvfan.org/
    To all outside Canada who were hoping to watch... it's being uploaded.

vCash
    I don't know, think about SYTYCD Canada, it was dreadful this last season for ads during the show and product placements... is it the Canadian way of trying to pay for things?

I think the best moment was when they asked if he got the seal flippers at Loblaws... heh.

Loblaws is a sad comedown from Whole Foods.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinBug View Post
    I don't know, think about SYTYCD Canada, it was dreadful this last season for ads during the show and product placements... is it the Canadian way of trying to pay for things?

I think the best moment was when they asked if he got the seal flippers at Loblaws... heh.

Loblaws is a sad comedown from Whole Foods.
    I can't watch SYTYCD Canada, as I can't stand Leah. Which is a shame as I adore dance and the US version.

That was a pretty good moment and ITA w/you about Loblaws being such a comedown from Whole Foods. That had me going WTH more than anything Monday night, as there *is* a Whole Foods in Toronto. I get they might need the sponsorship thing w/Loblaws, but this is also Top Chef for crying out loud. I feel for those poor chefs, as you've got to know the quality and diversity of the produce and products won't even come close to what they'd be able to find at a Whole Foods.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 04-14-2011 at 06:57 AM.