Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Some of adult ice princesses are often worse than the child ones!

I've been at adult skating camps where one particular adult ice princess starts trying to take over from the renowned coach trying to teach the adults because after all, she must know everything, she assists with learn to skate classes

vCash
    Here's the entry list and Midori's name is there (Master's Elite, Ladies II and III, Free Skate).

http://www.deu-event.de/results/adult2011/Entrylist.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    According to the Facebook page of the U.S. Adult Skating Committee, Midori Ito has entered the 2011 ISU Adult Competition in Oberstdorf! The competition will be taking place June 8-11.
    With 3Axel or without?

vCash
    I really hope people accept Midori the way she is now, with whatever items she has, and embrace her. She is such a legend I personally would pay just to see her skate around the ice and do pretty arm movements. I'm dreading some of the reports saying how she didn't do such and such and isn't what she used to be. Midori thankyou for gracing the ice again. I don't care if you fall on your ass three times in your program. You'll always be a winner to me.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Ozzisk8tr,

entire post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    (though I did hear from a fellow competitor friend of mine who competed at ANs last week that the younger girls seem to . . . as a group . . . have no on-ice etiquette, and regularly were getting in the way of those skaters running programs with an obvious orange belt on, or cutting people off. Interesting.)
    This happened to me at the last AN I went to - I had on the aformentioned belt and was running through my program when I got plowed into and knocked over -- hard -- by someone in the 'I' division of my level. She neither apologized afterwards nor asked if I was ok, despite the fact that I made sure she was alright before she skated off.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

Vacant
    vCash
    ITA Ozziesk8r.

I don't care what she does at this competition; what's important to me is that she's out there skating and sharing her joy in what she does. The most attractive thing about her skating over the last 30 odd years is the sheer joy she showed out on the ice. Yes her jumps were out of this world, yes she was light years ahead of her time, yes she was truly one of the greatest skaters to ever live etc etc, but it is that joy in her skating that will always be my abiding memory of her, and the thing that gets to me the most when I (frequently) rewatch her programs.

But as we all know, she has gone through times when she didn't love skating; 1991-92 carrying the pressures of a nation, the ill-fated comeback in 1996 and her virtual disappearance from skating of any kind in 2002 until she re-emerged at Junior Worlds to support Mao in 2005. I couldn't give a damn what she does or where she places at this competition. What's important to me as a lifelong fan of Ito, is that she is enjoying her skating again and just wants to get out there. Her legend and her place in history are assured. Let her be happy and do what she will and not criticise if she's not out there doing triple axels and 3-3's. She IS nearly 42 after all!!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Masters Elite Ladies II and III Free Skating
    01 CALNAN Jan CAN
    02 ITO Midori JPN
    03 SHABY Natalie USA
    There's only three skaters in her group, so all of them will have the chance to be "on the podium with Midori." Pretty cool.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I couldn't give a damn what she does or where she places at this competition. What's important to me as a lifelong fan of Ito, is that she is enjoying her skating again and just wants to get out there. Her legend and her place in history are assured. Let her be happy and do what she will and not criticise if she's not out there doing triple axels and 3-3's. She IS nearly 42 after all!!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I know some adult skaters who will enter the competition. Midori will beat them, easily
    And you know this because you have been watching Midori's practices? If so, what jumps is Midori landing these days, and with what consistency?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    FWIW I have seen this a lot too, with younger adult skaters who are just getting into adult competition. Once they figure out that adult skating is fun and supportive, and you don't have to be a beeyotch to your competitors, they dial it down. And most of them end up appreciating the more relaxed atmosphere and enjoying it a lot more.
    I have known of a few skaters who are probably never going to be national level competitors. But they relish the opportunity to compete in adult divisions because they like that the pressure has been taken off and they can just enjoy skating.

On the other hand, a few people who took the sport up as adults, from a judging and adminstrative point of view, have been the most difficult to deal with. Because if things aren't done right they complain to the hilt.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    A few month ago Midori was on TV. There she landed a 2A and did a long fast scratch spin.

vCash
    Midori Ito appeared in a skating show in Japan, maybe two years ago--DOI or SOI, I forget. She did barely complete a double Axel, but, in practice, she just about killed herself: she fell hard. Even after she completed her jump, she smiled and started hitting herself on the sides of the head to say, "I know I'm crazy." I'm all for her, but I doubt she has a triple. I'll see if I can dig up that video.

vCash
    Triple Schmiple - if she can still do a double axel in her forties, or is even just going for it, that is still pretty amazing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Triple Schmiple - if she can still do a double axel in her forties, or is even just going for it, that is still pretty amazing.
    And not just any 2-axel, a Midori 2-axel (TM)

vCash
    Midori's 2A at Prince Ice World 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEF7N93q0KA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah009 View Post
    That's what I saw, but taken from another angle. She just barely held on to that landing. During the practices, though, her falls looked dangerous.

Then again, maybe, with more training, she'll lose some weight, and her jumps will shape up. I'm sure we all wish her the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah009 View Post
    Not bad. Looks like she just pulled her arms in a little too early and that made her drop her right shoulder. There are probably some timing habits she's having to break on her 2A after doing the 3A for so long.

vCash
    Shaby from the US is quite good. She might have some competition..

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Shaby from the US is quite good. She might have some competition..
    I was about to say the same thing.
    Here is a clip of Natalie in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bemMKUp2A10

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast