Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 287
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,967
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Or more. We have a triple gold medalist in our club (sr dance, figures, FS), but she's now in her 40s and did all that in her teens. She's fairly hamstrung if she wants to be "competitive," but I keep telling her to just compete and not worry about the results. In spite of injuries and the stiffness that creeps upon you with age, her skating skills are MARVELOUS. Unfortunately USFS has no "can I petition down because so much time has passed?" option. ISI does have some sort of option to petition downward due to age or medical conditions, but then ISI isn't the "elite" organization that USFS is.

    Anyway, on topic: YAY for Midori!! I think it would be splendid if more former elites returned to the sport. It is supposed to be FUN, after all, no matter your age.
    Couldn't the triple gold medalist do an interpretive event? I've been told that they really do judge you on choreo and expression of the music, not the difficulty of the elements you select.

    As far as more former elites returning USFSA is definitely encouraging it, and at least the Canadians seem to be favorably inclined. Go for it Midori!

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,348
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2814
    What exciting news! I wanna see this competition...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,823
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Couldn't the triple gold medalist do an interpretive event? I've been told that they really do judge you on choreo and expression of the music, not the difficulty of the elements you select.

    As far as more former elites returning USFSA is definitely encouraging it, and at least the Canadians seem to be favorably inclined. Go for it Midori!
    Yep, this is what she did in a recent local competition. Although it's tough for her to lay off of things that used to be easy (exhibit A: Layback spins. Not good for a 40something back).

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Although it's tough for her to lay off of things that used to be easy (exhibit A: Layback spins. Not good for a 40something back).
    I think it depends on the back. Different people age differently.

    I'm nearly 50 and layback is still one of my favorite moves -- and one I hadn't mastered as a teenager. I don't do extreme flexibility, but enough. In my case sitspins are more of a problem.

    But that's the thing about adult skating. Everyone has different limitations, and different skills based on when they first started skating (both age and rules at the time) and how far they got, and what has happened to their bodies through the normal wear and tear of everyday life in addition to skating.

  5. #65
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    I had a fantastic layback. Then I gave birth. Not so much now.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I had a fantastic layback. Then I gave birth. Not so much now.
    Give me an epidural, and I could probably do a Biellmann.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Give me an epidural, and I could probably do a Biellmann.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Good for Midori!!

    I remember the look on her face in the Kiss and Cry after her LP at Edmonton Worlds in 96 and she just looked so heartsick and defeated. I honestly thought that would be it for her and I wouldn't have blamed her either. So happy to know Midori's still skating and going to give this a go.

    I never got the privledge of watching her live, but that spunk and sparkle just beamed off the TV. Hope we get a chance to see this somehow.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,127
    vCash
    699
    Rep Power
    17018
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post

    Especially because you'd still be taller, even if you were the bronze medalist!
    I plan to compete against her, with my awesome single axels and incomparable choreography. Oh wait... she's in the ladies' event. Oh crap...

    So happy to hear she's competing again!

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    167
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Or more. We have a triple gold medalist in our club (sr dance, figures, FS), but she's now in her 40s and did all that in her teens. She's fairly hamstrung if she wants to be "competitive," but I keep telling her to just compete and not worry about the results. In spite of injuries and the stiffness that creeps upon you with age, her skating skills are MARVELOUS. Unfortunately USFS has no "can I petition down because so much time has passed?" option.
    I have this same issue - I passed my Senior tests and had triple jumps back in the day. Now, with a career and a life outside of the rink, there's no way I could be competitive at a Masters Gold level, so it's unlikely I'll ever compete. If I could "skate down" I'd be much more likely to participate in AN's since I wouldn't feel so outclassed. It's not about the results, of course, but I would feel quite foolish to be grouped with skaters I can't keep up with.

    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Anyway, on topic: YAY for Midori!! I think it would be splendid if more former elites returned to the sport. It is supposed to be FUN, after all, no matter your age.
    More power to Midori! As I get older myself, I have so much more respect for adult skaters. I hope she's able to bring positive attention to adult skating, and that she can skate FOR HERSELF and enjoy it without Olympic-style pressure. Whether she can jump anymore or not, I am sure she'd still be incredible to watch.

  11. #71
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Kate View Post
    I have this same issue - I passed my Senior tests and had triple jumps back in the day. Now, with a career and a life outside of the rink, there's no way I could be competitive at a Masters Gold level, so it's unlikely I'll ever compete. If I could "skate down" I'd be much more likely to participate in AN's since I wouldn't feel so outclassed. It's not about the results, of course, but I would feel quite foolish to be grouped with skaters I can't keep up with.
    No lady at ANs has landed a triple yet, and only a very few have tried. You'd probably be extremely competitive.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,967
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    167
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    No lady at ANs has landed a triple yet, and only a very few have tried. You'd probably be extremely competitive.
    Oh, it's been many years since I've jumped like that! These days, I'm very lucky to land more than one double. :-)

  14. #74
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.
    You are correct.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    near the rink
    Posts
    1,979
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Give me an epidural, and I could probably do a Biellmann.
    OMG that is HILAriOUS! i wish I could repp you for that!!

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,375
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    My experience with adult competitive skating is that it is heavily skewed to the plus 40 age group. Most people in their 20's and 30's are busy with college, establishing careers, haviing children etc. They don't have the time or money for competitive skating (I didn't). Plus, they just want to do something different for awhile. I think coming back to skating after a 20 year break is not unusual at all.
    US Adult nationals this year seemed to have quite a few young adults skating in the high level events. I was surprised, because I didn't think it was typical for 20-somethings to be in the championship events. In ladies, a 23 y/o won junior/senior, and a 24 y/o won intermediate/novice. In men, a 25 y/o won junior/senior, the men's intermediate/novice winner's age isn't listed in the icenetwork article, but it mentions the 54 year old bronze medalist "in the company of signifigantly younger" and names the silver-gold medalists.


    I wonder if this trend will be discouraging to older master levels skaters. (But Master's has age divided levels still right? It's just championship where everyone is all mixed together? I'm not too sure.)

  17. #77
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    ^ I don't think so. We've been trying for years to get the younger demographic interested. I'm glad they are finally showing up in larger numbers!

    (though I did hear from a fellow competitor friend of mine who competed at ANs last week that the younger girls seem to . . . as a group . . . have no on-ice etiquette, and regularly were getting in the way of those skaters running programs with an obvious orange belt on, or cutting people off. Interesting.)
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,249
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I know some adult skaters who will enter the competition. Midori will beat them, easily

  19. #79
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    (though I did hear from a fellow competitor friend of mine who competed at ANs last week that the younger girls seem to . . . as a group . . . have no on-ice etiquette, and regularly were getting in the way of those skaters running programs with an obvious orange belt on, or cutting people off. Interesting.)
    FWIW I have seen this a lot too, with younger adult skaters who are just getting into adult competition. Once they figure out that adult skating is fun and supportive, and you don't have to be a beeyotch to your competitors, they dial it down. And most of them end up appreciating the more relaxed atmosphere and enjoying it a lot more.

    I do know one or two, though, where someone had to have a sit-down with them and tell them to knock it off and that being a beeyotch was not looked upon kindly in the adult skating world.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fenway Park
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    FWIW I have seen this a lot too, with younger adult skaters who are just getting into adult competition. Once they figure out that adult skating is fun and supportive, and you don't have to be a beeyotch to your competitors, they dial it down. And most of them end up appreciating the more relaxed atmosphere and enjoying it a lot more.

    I do know one or two, though, where someone had to have a sit-down with them and tell them to knock it off and that being a beeyotch was not looked upon kindly in the adult skating world.
    I certainly didn't witness ANYONE being a beeyotch (as you so nicely put it). And not for nothing, but my friend and I actually had more trouble with lower level skaters not yielding or moving while programs were on. Some of the sessions were crowded but I didn't witness any bad behavior at all from the younger new AN competitors.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •