Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Why? I think the silver medalist would be proud to be 2nd to her.
    Oh, I'm sure they would be proud to be second to her, but unless she is REALLY rusty, there is no real chance to win (or I'm underestimating high level adults) and while most people don't compete JUST to win, surely they'd like to.

I've been to synchro competitions where the top medals are decided (seriously even if the top 2 teams all fell down and ran into the boards, they'd still do it with more skill than the other 3 teams competiting), and the competition is for just one medal (5th is 3rd!!!) and it can be a little discouraging...although I've never been in a situation where you bump with fame.

Especially because you'd still be taller, even if you were the bronze medalist
    Is she really that short?

vCash
    I thought this meant a return to amateur competition lol

vCash
    How great!!!! Has inspired me to try to make the Olympic team at the age of (well, let's just say up there).lol Actually since there is such a fine line between pro and amateur these days, I wish they would let any skater who wanted to try out for the Olympic team. What possible harm could there be in that and it would certainly create a buzz. They let pro basketball and tennis players compete, why not figure skaters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Is she really that short?
    Apparently Midori is 144cm tall.

vCash
    Whaaa.. is this for real?! Thank goodness April fool has already gone.

How totally awesome. A legend is back on ice, may be it'll start a trend! Lu Chen? Michelle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralGirl View Post
    Apparently Midori is 144cm tall.
    No way... that would be like the return of the incredible shrinking Midori. 144cm, that is like 4ft8, her foot must be like size 3? How can she jump so high!
    Last edited by os168; 04-12-2011 at 01:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    No way... that would be like the return of the incredible shrinking Midori. 144cm, that is like 4ft8, her foot must be like size 3? How can she jump so high!
    Strong breeze...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    ^ LOL -- if that were the case, competitions would be held outdoors in strong winds.

Obviously, its more great talent, great training, and powerful thighs. I met Midori once ... she was so tiny and so gracious, a lovely person, an extraordinary skater.

vCash
    You know, it's easy for me to say since I'm not an adult figure skater working my butt off training and paying my own way, but I'm sure a part of me would rather be second to Midori Ito than winning it without her. It's just so absolutely cool to share a podium with such a skating legend.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-12-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Maybe she will come to Melbourne next year to do our adult competition.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Vacant
    vCash
    Wheeeeee this is too cool! What is the usual technical standard in ladies for this competition? I know she came out of retirememnt to skate a few shows with Prince Ice World a couple of years ago and got her double axel back but afaik she didn't do any triples. But if she's seriously training and her body can hold out, she'd surely be able to get back triple toe and sal at least! Aww I love her so much, such a legend

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Wheeeeee this is too cool! What is the usual technical standard in ladies for this competition? I know she came out of retirememnt to skate a few shows with Prince Ice World a couple of years ago and got her double axel back but afaik she didn't do any triples. But if she's seriously training and her body can hold out, she'd surely be able to get back triple toe and sal at least! Aww I love her so much, such a legend
    The standard can be pretty high.

I know a few years ago, an American skater, Natalie Shaby, skated on the adult / masters level with double jumps up to and including the double axel. She reminds me a lot of Lisa Marie Allen. Natalie, I believe, is in her 40s as well. So, that makes her achievements even more impressive.

Here's a clip of her in action.

vCash
    Love this news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    So wish I could compete there this year. I'd be proud to say I lost to Midorit Ito.
    Whatever, I could take her. she is competing in the men's event, no?

vCash
    Are Midori and Ito common names in Japan? I am asking this before I get too excited....

Bring back Witt, Ito, Yama, Harding, Chen and Sato!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Are Midori and Ito common names in Japan? I am asking this before I get too excited....

It doesn't have to be common name. Maybe someone so much wanted to be her that she changed her name to Midori Ito. Easy, quick and about £30 through Deed poll.

vCash
    I didn't knew that former "international" skaters had the right to take part in the ISU Adult circuit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirti View Post
    I didn't knew that former "international" skaters had the right to take part in the ISU Adult circuit?
    I think the only bar to entry is if you have qualified for your country's standard national championships in the season leading up to the adult championships. There are also minimum and maximum age requirements.

vCash
    Both are common, but not that common. I have not met any other Midori Ito.

Perhaps adult competition should employ team event!

vCash
    I personally think they should consider create a new Champion's Championship for skating popularity's sake.

To qualify you just have to be an ex champion. No age restrictions except you must have been retired for more than 3 years. Maybe be relax the rules and just make it freestyle with no technical restrictions. Just make it fun and showmanship. Mark should be awarded to artistry as well as technicality, just like dances with the stars.

It would totally bring all the old sentimental fans and favourites back.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast