View Poll Results: Could Eurosport's Coverage Of The Rescheduled World Championships Be Better?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 89.29%
  • No

3 10.71%

vCash

Could Eurosport's Coverage Of The Rescheduled World Championships Be Better?

Somebody emailed Eurosport to find out how they would be covering the rescheduled World Championships. This was Eurosport's reply:-

"Thank you for your email.
    With regards to the Figure Skating World Championships, our schedules were not confirmed until last week as this event was rescheduled at short notice due to the disasters in Japan. We have tried to fit as much of this event back into our schedules as possible and the full outline for this event is as follows:

Wednesday 27 April
    1745-2000 LIVE Pairs Short Programme on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

Thursday 28 April
    1610-1815 LIVE Pairs Free Programme on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD
    1815-1900 Men’s Free Programme on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

Friday 29 April
    1745-1900 LIVE Short Dance on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

Saturday 30 April
    1730-1900 LIVE Free Dance on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

Sunday 1 May
    2200-2330 Gala Exhibition on British Eurosport & Eurosport HD

While all information is accurate at the time of writing, schedules are subject to change.

The is the link to the reply from Eurosport: Eurosport Response

Hence, no coverage of the men's short and it would appear that they will not be showing any coverage of the ladies event at all

So the question is, could Eurosports coverage be better?

vCash
    It can always be better, of course. But I'm not complaining (though I don't have Eurosport).

vCash
    Yes. More figure skating and less snooker! I mean, the schedule is okay, given the circumstances.

vCash
    Yes!! The scheduled coverage is horrible! They will probably show only the best ten skaters/couples of the segments and nothing from the ladies or qualifying.
    Last edited by elfenblüte; 04-11-2011 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    May be worth somebody starting a petition like they did last month to get the Worlds rescheduled? They got over 1600 signatures and it certainly played a part in getting the ISU to act in terms of rescheduling. Anybody know how to go about starting one?

Certainly would be a shame if the ISU and the event organisers went to all that effort to reschedule and then half of Europe ends up being unable to watch half of the events.

vCash
    We should so start a petition. It's so wrong that Eurosport (which you have to pay to watch) can just dump figure skating like this.
    It's not just the fact that they are showing nothing from the men's short, ladies short & ladies free, it's when they are showing it they are showing barely the last groups !.

vCash
    Really? I understand that people are upset that the coverage is not what it has been in the past, but there are cirumstances beyond their control at play here. Eurosport had all of worlds scheduled with their usual full coverage for when it should have taken place.

The event has been re-scheduled at extremely short notice and the schedule they have for the same week as worlds has surely been in place (and will be in place contractually) for months. I doubt Europsport, in addition to losing money in the scheduling for the original worlds, is unlikely to break contracts with other sporting bodies and lose even more money.

We may be fans of figure skating, but we are a minority certainly when viewed from a broadcaster's perspective. If figure skating were more popoular we would get coverage of more events than just Europeans and Worlds.

I think Europsport has done the best they can.

vCash
    The Eurosport HD does not air anything late night. If LIVE is out of question, I would have been happy to DVR any late night delayed coverage at least.

DAISUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    The Eurosport HD does not air anything late night. If LIVE is out of question, I would have been happy to DVR any late night delayed coverage at least.
    I agree with this. I really wish they had scheduled taped broadcasts of the Men's SP and the Ladies. I don't care how late at night. Most people have DVRs these days anyway.

I do understand they cannot show everything live as the Snooker Worlds is taking place and Eurosport has made deals with them long time ago. I think we would have been super pissed (to say the least) if Eurosport had dumped Figure skating had the roles been reversed and it was Snooker that had been rescheduled. And it might seem incredulous to us, but there is a lot more money in Snooker than in Figure skating.

vCash
    The thing that get's me is that it's on BOTH channels at the same time & when the snooker ends in the evening they are showing nothing they could not re-schedule.
    I like most would be happy if they showed delayed highlights of the figure skating then.
    I just want to see the ladies short & long events (the top skaters is better than nothing).
    After all Snooker is shown through their season with all the ranking events covered (I'm a snooker fan too) but figure skating now only get's the Euro & Worlds.
    A one hour show after the snooker every night would cover the events we are getting nothing of.

vCash
    I'm surprised that there is no ladies FS and FDs so far. It will be one table set up in snooker already, so I thought they would squeeze something in.

vCash
    This schedule saddens me. I am lucky enough to have tickets.