Thread: Foot surgery

vCash

Foot surgery

Hi,

I don't post too often, but you all seem pretty well versed on a variety of subjects.

I just had a foot surgery a week ago-Had huge bunion removed, and a joint replacement due to hallux rigidus. Of course, I did plenty of research and chose a surgeon accordingly, but there seems to be a huge difference of opinion regarding recovery.

According to my doctor, I should have put my crutches aside a few days ago and be walking mostly. I can barely put pressure on the foot (which btw looks loks a smushed, bruised mushroom), and am still in pretty constant pain.

Anyone out there had or know someone who has had a similiar surgery? I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this procedure has literally kicked my ass.

Doctor says I am doing fine, and I am fearing the pain more than really experiencing it at this point.

vCash
    A friend who had the surgery 2 years ago was on crutches for weeks, then used a cane. I'll check with her for more info and post later.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I had it done years ago. I had it done on July 30th, I had a bootie cast on for about at least a month, cast and pins came out sometime in early September, and I went back to work in October. And honestly, even though I felt relatively fine after that, and could work and walk normally, that foot was still tender for months afterward, and I'd say it took almost a year before it felt totally normal again.

vCash
    A friend of mine had it done and crawled around her house for weeks. I SO need the same surgery, haven't had the balls yet. My podiatrist said when I am in enough pain, I'll be back. Take care...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    A friend of mine had it done and crawled around her house for weeks. I SO need the same surgery, haven't had the balls yet. My podiatrist said when I am in enough pain, I'll be back. Take care...
    Same here. I haven't worked up the nerve to have this surgery yet.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I had the joint removed and my big toe fused on my left foot ten years ago and I was on crutches for a couple of months and no weight bearing at all for the first month and a half. While I realize every doctor is different, this does seem a bit too soon for weight bearing to me.

Remember that keeping that puppy elevated is the best thing in the world right now. That and your pain meds are your best friends. I've had four surgeries on my feet, mostly on the left, over the years and for the major ones, there was no weight bearing for at least two months, so I am really wondering about your Dr telling you to do that now. It really does seem too soon to me.

vCash
    Thanks for the advice and wishes.

The first day the percocet prescribed did not touch the pain at all. I was given dilaudid, which also did not work AT ALL until day four. By that time the pain was becoming bearable, and the nausea the drug caused rendered it useless to me. Doctor said I may need hospitalization for demerol iv, but I decided to tough it out.

Day 10, and I can walk w/o crutches and get most of my daily activiteis done with out problem. Doctor is releasing me back to work later this week. Driving is my only concern, but BF will drive me until I can do it safely.

To those contemplating it, make sure you speak beforehand with your Doctor about pain management and what he/she is willing to prescribe. The first three days were pretty awful. Unfortunately, many doctors are wary and rightly so, about prescribing narcotics. Where I live, there are so many pill shoppers that it makes it doubly hard for a doctor to adequately prescribe pain meds.

The foot is slightly painful now and again, and is a little tingly, but overall vastly improved. It was rough going, but seems like it's going well now.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Glad to hear it!!