Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    The thing is, Jeremy has skated great under pressure before. Boy, if being in the zone, could be bottled and consumed or injected before a competition, everyone would skate

The struggle and the process seems so often about fully believing in oneself and being able to put it all together on a consistent basis. Guys like Jere and Matt Savoie who possess such great transitions and musicality, and all the jumps, but somehow have lacked the consistency needed to win rep with the judges --- is it their sensitive, thoughtful personalities, or just nerves and thinking too much that has been their greatest challenge to overcome? Who knows? There are other fields of endeavor besides figure skating where luck and self-belief and everything coming together can be the crucial difference between "making it big," becoming a star or being one of the also rans. OTOH, whether he makes it big or not, Jeremy has nothing to hang his head about because he is in the arena, fighting valiantly, and perhaps learning something important about himself that will matter as his life moves forward. He will have his victory, whether it be on top of the podium, or just taking part in the battle and skating his heart out.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
    T. Roosevelt

vCash
    I think he looks fantastic. Very cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The thing is, Jeremy has skated great under pressure before. Boy, if being in the zone, could be bottled and consumed or injected before a competition, everyone would skate

The struggle and the process seems so often about fully believing in oneself and being able to put it all together on a consistent basis. Guys like Jere and Matt Savoie who possess such great transitions and musicality, and all the jumps, but somehow have lacked the consistency needed to win rep with the judges --- is it their sensitive, thoughtful personalities, or just nerves and thinking too much that has been their greatest challenge to overcome? Who knows? There are other fields of endeavor besides figure skating where luck and self-belief and everything coming together can be the crucial difference between "making it big," becoming a star or being one of the also rans. OTOH, whether he makes it big or not, Jeremy has nothing to hang his head about because he is in the arena, fighting valiantly, and perhaps learning something important about himself that will matter as his life moves forward. He will have his victory, whether it be on top of the podium, or just taking part in the battle and skating his heart out.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
    T. Roosevelt
    Great post!!!

And I agree with those who can't wait for his next season's programs. Frankly, as far as the men are concerned, I personally wish we could just fast-forward Worlds and get to October already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by annab View Post
    I think he looks fantastic. Very cool.
    I so wish you'll not happen to work at any hair stylist place I'll ever go to.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Great post!!!

And I agree with those who can't wait for his next season's programs. Frankly, as far as the men are concerned, I personally wish we could just fast-forward Worlds and get to October already
    No kidding! I've felt since Nationals in January that the Worlds men's event had the wind knocked out of its sails once Abbott didn't make the team. He's my favorite skater in that discipline and I've found myself caring the least for the men this year as a result. Who would have thought I would EVER say that? My hopes are with Kozuka in Moscow; if he can hold himself together to skate his best, then maybe I can feel good about the men at Worlds this year. *hopes*

I loved your post too, aftershocks! Great attitude to have!!

vCash
    USFS to Abbott: "Hey, blondie, train those quads and come back strong next season. Guess we needed you in Moscow."

Taking nothing away from Ryan, Ross, and Richard who performed extremely well. Under the current scoring system, Ross and Richard may need quads, and more continued consistency in international events in order to move up. Love how well Ross and Richard delivered their performances in their first senior international event, under pressure.

You must be so happy for Kozuka, museks8r!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    USFS to Abbott: "Hey, blondie, train those quads and come back strong next season. Guess we needed you in Moscow."

You must be so happy for Kozuka, museks8r!
    OMG, I AM! He was so divine and easily the best in the LP IMO!!! My dream podium would have included both Kozuka and Abbott, but 1 is better than neither.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post

OMG, I AM! He was so divine and easily the best in the LP IMO!!! My dream podium would have included both Kozuka and Abbott, but 1 is better than neither.
    Taka K was divine. Love your dream podium. Maybe next year your dream comes true by 2.

vCash

I second that! Takahiko has all the things that I can't find in Chan's skating. Just love his musicality and subtlety. Having had no expectation at all, his silver medal performance and Kostner's beautiful LP were wonderful surprises and the two performances that I will be watching over and over from these Worlds

vCash
    Depressed that the season is over and spent the evening looking at some of Abbott's best performances on youtube. 2008 4CC LP is such a beauty. Even inconsistent, Jeremy has put out a few stellar performances year after year.
    BTW, in the pre-platinum LifeSkate interview ( I repost from Sylvia, from a couple of pages earlier)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVs8I5svIeY
    it seems that Jeremy is at least considering Sochi.

And Kozuka is absolutely marvelous in my book, as well; there's quite a few similarities in skating style between the two.
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I had the privilege of watching Jeremy skate all 3 of the shows of the Atlanta Figure Skating club at the Cooler in Alpharetta this weekend. Jeremy did "Rhythm of Love" to close the first act and his new exhibition to Adele's "Home Town Glory" to end the show.

Since Jeremy was breaking in 2-day-new boots (as of Friday), he did some gorgeous triples and some planned doubles, but commented that the hard part was bending enough to do low positions, footwork, and spins. By Sunday, his combo spin looked good as usual. The hat was cooperative, staying on his head when flipped there and remaining on his tummy during the layover camel spin. That program sure bears up to repeat views. I just love it.

Home Town Glory is going to be another signature piece. Hope the Korea show is streamed so everyone can see it there. It's got a lot of variety in movement, long glides punctuated by quick stops and syncopated footwork. I was entertained by some grandparents who obviously were not skating fans suddenly noticing aloud how smooth Jeremy is, and thinking that they really had no idea who they were watching--yes, he was announced as "2 time US Champion", but IMO, he's also one of the most innovative and artistic skaters EVER, who continues to demonstrate his range. To me, it's like getting to watch a modern and mellower John Curry.

One of the parents commented that JA's low-key manner put all the kid skaters at ease. It was a great show with very high level skating. Home town boy Alex Aiken (Jr bronze medalist) was back to show off his huge jumps and blazing-fast footwork. I was very impressed by Tim Dolensky's (2010 Novice bronze medalist) gorgeous spins (and footwork and jumps). The show included tots to adults (including adult dance competitors Michael Marcanio and Nancy Hoblack from NC, who train weekends at the Cooler).

Finally, I can report that in person, "the hair" looks just fine.

vCash
    More pics of Jeremy's new hair, he's at Yuna's show:
    http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basi...50672;아

vCash
    Music about being blonde, possible for an exhibition perhaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04g1aFNoBZs Dirty Blonde by The Bad Plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI56T...4E6E0D6682B866
    Platinum Blonde Life by No Doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqSl0vAQsdk Blondes Have More Fun by Rod Stewart

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yra...about-blondes/
    Scroll to #13 on the list Truly Blonde by Hyperplush

vCash
    I think these photos prove that Jeremy looks very hot as a blonde!

vCash
    I think these photos prove that Jeremy looks very hot as a blonde!

And the DRAMA blonde version. Very striking contrast between the very dark, plain costume and the light hair, face, hands.

http://figuregallery.tistory.com/ent...te-Spring-2011

vCash
    Jeremy is a performer and a perfectionist. He doesn't like to compromise to win points with the judges. His competition programs last season were risky, and risks don't always pay off. I think he is starting to accept this about himself which is why his self confidence has improved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    And the DRAMA blonde version. Very striking contrast between the very dark, plain costume and the light hair, face, hands.

LOVE his position in that stag jump! He's beautiful!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Jeremy is a performer and a perfectionist. He doesn't like to compromise to win points with the judges.
    I think that Jeremy has had great CoP programmes in competitions. His choreography has been created in the way to win points if he just skates his choreography faultlessly or almost faultlessly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post

Gorgeous picture. Jeremy's hair looks great in this EX- it looks striking in Gala lighting. Hopefully it looks good in competition lighting as well.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Hometown Glory from ATS Spring 2011 -- don't know if this is posted in another thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cDDDCmxfQ

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jereamazin, come into your own!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast