vCash

NHL hockey player promotes figure skating

Former Edmonton Oiler & Montreal Canadians enforcer George Laraque who discovered figure skating when he appeared on Battle of the Blades, is continuing to skate & perform in shows:
    Former Montreal Canadiens enforcer is out to prove that figure skating is tougher than it looks.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1976004/

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love this guy! "I've always been too much of a Shrek for figure skating". Good for him.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Awesome! Very cool guy.

vCash
    Loved Georges and Annabelle on BoTB

So glad to see he's taken away so much from figure skating!

vCash

Here we go again........

"It's the stigma that people have that the only men who go into skating are gay, so he's trying to make people understand that yeah, there are gay (men) but there are also straight men.''

Figure Skating does not need to open this PR bomb again. You would think Skate Canada would have learned its lesson after the ABC World News story about their "Tough Campaign", but they are back at it.

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...1-bf336e95a27a

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc View Post
    "It's the stigma that people have that the only men who go into skating are gay, so he's trying to make people understand that yeah, there are gay (men) but there are also straight men.''

Figure Skating does not need to open this PR bomb again. You would think Skate Canada would have learned its lesson after the ABC World News story about their "Tough Campaign", but they are back at it.

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...1-bf336e95a27a
    What you quoted was said by Julie Marcotte, a coach, not a representative of Skate Canada. Why would you think this has anything to do with Skate Canada other than Mike Slipchuck was also interviewed for the article in which he said
    Skate Canada insists the number of male athletes in the sport isn't on the decline - and that, if anything, there might be slightly more than in the past.

"We don't see ourselves in a real shortage, but like any sport we can always use more,'' said Mike Slipchuk, the federation's director of high performance, who considers hockey players good role models for young figure skaters.

"I think that's great - just to see that he's interested in doing this and to go out and be supportive of our sport and encourage people to stay involved is great.''
    I can't understand what could be problematic about this

Sorry. Having a dumb day maybe. Just don't get your point at all.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    My son's former hockey coach, who was a tough nosed NHL defenseman, sings the praises of learning how to figure skate at a young age, before and/or while playing hockey. He says it makes for much better hockey players skating-wise. He told me his parents said his skating sucked when he was 7 or 8 and they put him into figure skating lessons. After a year he had both a much better appreciation for figure skating and much better skating skills.

vCash
    Colin Ratushniak, the 25 year old Canadian professional from Toronto who recently came second in the UK Dancing on Ice 2011 competition with his celebrity partner, grew up in Manitoba as a hockey skater. He learnt to figure skate aged 12 years, won regional competitions, and turned professional aged 18 years.