vCash

Ice Rink at The Summer Olympics

The Sochi organizers will provide a 1,000 person capacity facility and ice rink to play up interest in the 2014 Olympics. The facility will be set up in front of Marble Arch in Hyde Park. This should be interesting!

http://www.universalsports.com/news/...id=528573.html

vCash
    Quote from the article 'Sochi organizing committee president Dmitry Chernyshenko said Thursday that visitors to the Sochi World attraction will "come to the winter during the hot summer." '

Hot summer? Has he ever been to England If it is an outdoor rink I can't imagine the refridgeration requirements even if the outside temperature is only in the low 20s (centigrade).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

Hot summer? Has he ever been to England If it is an outdoor rink I can't imagine the refridgeration requirements even if the outside temperature is only in the low 20s (centigrade).
    Hmmm... you might want to rethink this statement, the UK is currently experiencing temperatures as high as 26 degrees and it is only April!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post
    Hmmm... you might want to rethink this statement, the UK is currently experiencing temperatures as high as 26 degrees and it is only April!!
    OH NO 26 DEGREEEEEES!

(sorry, Australian 26 degrees is like, nice lukewarm temperature )

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    OH NO 26 DEGREEEEEES!

(sorry, Australian 26 degrees is like, nice lukewarm temperature )
    from me as well. It's 24C (75F) in Sydney today - and it's autumn here!

Having lived in the UK, however, I can tell you that 26C counts are a heat wave there. And also that the last couple of years the UK had warm temps in April, but then nothing resembling summer to follow, so I think the rink will be safe from melting.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post

But sadly the last time we had warm weather in April, that was it for the rest of the "summer"

As others have pointed out - anything mid 20s or higher is a considered quite the heat wave. Admittedly London does tend to be warmer than the glorious overcast North West

vCash
    This sounds very cool! I wish I could be there.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    from me as well. It's 24C (75F) in Sydney today - and it's autumn here!

Having lived in the UK, however, I can tell you that 26C counts are a heat wave there. And also that the last couple of years the UK had warm temps in April, but then nothing resembling summer to follow, so I think the rink will be safe from melting.
    London does tend to get some of the hottest weather in summer here. Whenever I've been there in July it's been roasting (this is coming from the perspective of a Scot - anything more than 12 degrees and we're all out in shorts and t-shirts) - it's certainly not unthinkable that the temperature hits 30 degrees in the middle of the summer.

Should be interesting to see! I've applied for my tickets for the summer games so if I get any I'll definitely head over to see what the rink's like!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    London does tend to get some of the hottest weather in summer here. Whenever I've been there in July it's been roasting (this is coming from the perspective of a Scot - anything more than 12 degrees and we're all out in shorts and t-shirts) - it's certainly not unthinkable that the temperature hits 30 degrees in the middle of the summer.

Should be interesting to see! I've applied for my tickets for the summer games so if I get any I'll definitely head over to see what the rink's like!
    And 12C to this Southern California girl is long sleeves, jeans, and jacket weather! Maybe it's good I didn't study abroad in Scotland like I planned, I would have died.

vCash
    Admittedly London does tend to be warmer than the glorious overcast North West
    and I will be moving to the North West next autumn...byebye sunny days! anyway, I love winter sports, so maybe I will survive

London does tend to get some of the hottest weather in summer here. Whenever I've been there in July it's been roasting
    that made me remember my first time in London. My friends had come in June and told me "it's cold! take sweaters and long sleeves..." I followed their suggestion and I landed in London with 36°C degree in mid-July (I think it was a summer with record high temperature)

I'm curious to see this rink!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    it's certainly not unthinkable that the temperature hits 30 degrees in the middle of the summer.
    Yes, that is true. Last summer we even had several days in a row of temps in the low 30s in south east England. Fortunately the overnight temperatures still got down to the mid-teens, so it wasn't hard to sleep. That was the most difficult thing about coming back to an Australian summer - trying to sleep when the overnight minimum was 25C!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    There's already special technology with special polymers that can reduce the electricity needed to keep ice solid in hot weather. The Zocalo rink they've been putting in Mexico City during December for the past few years can keep the ice solid even if it's 30 C outside (oddball weather even for Mexico at that time of year put possible during midday).

In fact, they use this same kind of technology to keep the ice decently solid in the Yucatan rink where the average temperature is 90 F all year long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    And 12C to this Southern California girl is long sleeves, jeans, and jacket weather! Maybe it's good I didn't study abroad in Scotland like I planned, I would have died.
    Yes, it's not exactly the warmest of places. We had summer this weekend, that'll likely be it for sunshine for the rest of the year and we'll return to our regularly programmed rain/general greyness!

Hmm, reading that back I'm not exactly painting the greatest picture of my country - really it's very nice... just bring a brolly!

vCash
    Yes, it's not exactly the warmest of places. We had summer this weekend, that'll likely be it for sunshine for the rest of the year and we'll return to our regularly programmed rain/general greyness!

Hmm, reading that back I'm not exactly painting the greatest picture of my country - really it's very nice... just bring a brolly!
    What Scotland may lack in weather it more than makes up with with jaw-droppingly beautiful landscape/scenery etc.

This weekend was just gorgeous weather-wise. I fear you may be right and that might be it for the "summer"

vCash
    This weekend was just gorgeous weather-wise. I fear you may be right and that might be it for the "summer"
    Here we are again ' after the beautiful weekend back to good old rain