Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So the reason habitual drinkers can drink so much without effect or much of a hangover is that they've developed tolerance. They make a lot of the enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase that breaks down alcohol. Since their body habitually is flooded with alcohol, the enzyme is almost constantly made. But if you don't use it, you lose it so if you don't habitually drink, your body doesn't make it, alcohol accumulates and you get what amounts to a poisoning--vomiting, dizziness, slurred speech and a headache of a hangover in the morning.

I have to be careful with red wine--Californian give me a headache. Most champagne too. And hard liquor gives me a really bad hangover, not worth it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have to be careful with red wine--Californian give me a headache.
    California reds have a chemical that's not allowed in French wines. My head is fine after a couple of glasses of decent French, but the Cali causes sleep problems and headaches. YMMV
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yup, only imported reds for me, s'il vous plaît. It's ironic, innit having all these food Nazis living in North Cal and allowing this compound in our wine. You'd think there'd be a protest.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This is the other issue, bias. As with most things, we have opinions that are informed by our own values and habits and experiences. If we believe fervently enough - in this case either that alcohol is bad or that we like it enough that we want to justify it - then we will naturally be selective about what sources we believe or even remember.
    I suppose when you have seen the affects of alcohol directly on your family, friends or neighbours, you are going to develop "biases". Particularly with a father who is a dry alcoholic and a friend who starts the day with a glass of port and keeps on drinking throughout.

However in a country like Australia alcohol is so socially accepted and if you don't drink people think there is something wrong with you. I have been lectured about how I should drink wine because "it is good for me", even though I can't stand the stuff.

But then there is the issue of violent crime and domestic violence, much of which can be directly attributed to alcohol.

Call it a bias but here it really is a big social problem here in Australia that doesn't seem to be getting any better and costs the community millions, if not billions of dollars as a result.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I used to drink this rotgut called Santa Carolina. I think it was from Chile. It was cheap.

vCash
    Here is an excellent article I just found about a journalist who has given up alcohol for 12 weeks (and still off it). It is quite long but well worth reading.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hi...409-1d8gz.html

It definately explains about how deeply entrenched the alcohol culture is in our society but also how those who do drink and those who don't drink handle it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123